human interaction
rest
buy a pet if you don't have one
balanced work life

Do these things, you will be ok.

Sleep.
Exercise
Diet

I try to follow these three religiously and work other factors you mentioned around and into it.

Alesana

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
good sleep
exercise
meditation
relaxtion
stretching
balanced diet
routine
fun
human interaction
rest
buy a pet if you don't have one
balanced work life

Do these things, you will be ok.
Didn't realise the importance of routine until lock down. This should be #1 on the list as it basically encompasses everything else and if this breaks down then so do most other things.

My routine has become going for a walk in the morning (exercise) after making sure I get enough sleep (WFH helps with this), getting a coffee from a cafe (human interaction albeit small), listen to the radio throughout the day (relaxation), workout after lunch (exercise), another walk to get coffee (human interaction), listen to music later in the day/night (meditation). Fitting all this around WFH. I'd like to stretch each day but I always forget. Working out/exercising also makes you inclined to have a more balanced diet.

At the very beginning of lock down I suffered a lot of anxiety and wasn't eating well, if at all (lost 5kg in a week), no meditation, no human interaction, no exercise, no relaxation, no motivation to work, just anxiously wandering around the house all day. It took having my normal routine taken from me to realise how bloody important it is to have one.

Didn't realise the importance of routine until lock down. This should be #1 on the list as it basically encompasses everything else and if this breaks down then so do most other things.

My routine has become going for a walk in the morning (exercise) after making sure I get enough sleep (WFH helps with this), getting a coffee from a cafe (human interaction albeit small), listen to the radio throughout the day (relaxation), workout after lunch (exercise), another walk to get coffee (human interaction), listen to music later in the day/night (meditation). Fitting all this around WFH. I'd like to stretch each day but I always forget. Working out/exercising also makes you inclined to have a more balanced diet.

At the very beginning of lock down I suffered a lot of anxiety and wasn't eating well, if at all (lost 5kg in a week), no meditation, no human interaction, no exercise, no relaxation, no motivation to work, just anxiously wandering around the house all day. It took having my normal routine taken from me to realise how bloody important it is to have one.

The irony being for me during lockdown I was at peace.

If you have as your pillars, sleep, exercise and diet all in order. I tend to find they are great foundations to add other factors to improve your mental health.

Of the three listed above, diet is the key. Eat well and you can exercise properly which will lead to a decent nights sleep.

Gameova_

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I find running helps me get tired so I sleep ok. Off my anti depressants/sleep pills coz of nightmares and hallucinations. Depression is really kicking in now as no pills for a week now.

I find running helps me get tired so I sleep ok. Off my anti depressants/sleep pills coz of nightmares and hallucinations. Depression is really kicking in now as no pills for a week now.

Is there a reason you are off your medication?

Gameova_

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I've got probably 10 pills left and another script but last week I experienced something pretty scary and I woke up all drowzy with serious chest pain so I've stopped taking it. Generally depressed but sometimes the pills make me sleep better.

Gameova_

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Usually get sleep paralysis at least past year. Some of my dreams are really vivid I sometimes see some of my phobias or at least one of them in my dreams. Last week however, I think I hallucinated for the first time and woke up a 1 min later with chest pain. It's from the pills.

I've got probably 10 pills left and another script but last week I experienced something pretty scary and I woke up all drowzy with serious chest pain so I've stopped taking it. Generally depressed but sometimes the pills make me sleep better.

Did you mix the medication with any other drug/alcohol?

You can purchase over the counter sleep tablets without a script, they are much milder sedative but they do work in the short term.

Usually get sleep paralysis at least past year. Some of my dreams are really vivid I sometimes see some of my phobias or at least one of them in my dreams. Last week however, I think I hallucinated for the first time and woke up a 1 min later with chest pain. It's from the pills.

Chest pain may have been a result of the dream/nightmare? Not sure obviously you need to speak to a doctor, Im purely guessing here.

Gameova_

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Did you mix the medication with any other drug/alcohol?

You can purchase over the counter sleep tablets without a script, they are much milder sedative but they do work in the short term.

No. Sometimes Panadol or nurofen but not lately as off pain pains. I just my issue is I sometimes take two pills and then not take any for a few days. Last week I took one and then I couldn't sleep though I was tired. Then, I could fell myself falling asleep and then I just hear this loud noise in my ear. I felt like I was dying. It's funny, during it (went for no more than two minutes) I felt like I was dying so on one hand I was like I don't want to die and on the other hand I was thinking this is it, I might get to rest for good now. Woke up a minute later. Pills are crazy. Also felt a negative spirit next to me but I could move. Usually sleep paralysis you can't move so I do not think it was sleep paralysis.

No. Sometimes Panadol or nurofen but not lately as off pain pains. I just my issue is I sometimes take two pills and then not take any for a few days. Last week I took one and then I couldn't sleep though I was tired. Then, I could fell myself falling asleep and then I just hear this loud noise in my ear. I felt like I was dying. It's funny, during it (went for no more than two minutes) I felt like I was dying so on one hand I was like I don't want to die and on the other hand I was thinking this is it, I might get to rest for good now. Woke up a minute later. Pills are crazy. Also felt a negative spirit next to me but I could move. Usually sleep paralysis you can't move so I do not think it was sleep paralysis.

Different things work for different people, so I cannot say this is definitive.

I will say this is what I do and practice.

Try and develop a good sleep hygiene. (google these words for better explanation)

I do get into a peaceful calming routine about 30mins to an hour before bed time. I avoid BF or social media etc. Usually watch a fav TV show.

I actually watch a few youtube videos to chillout in bed and eventually I get tired and crash. The last thing I do is actually play a youtube video that goes for 10 hours and its rainfall and thunder. It plays in the background and helps create a peaceful way to sleep. Obviously a bit difficult if you have a partner sleep over. But I digress.

You can even have beach sounds, etc. There is a lot of youtube videos out there with peaceful sounds and dark screen too, so the bright light doesnt stimulate you.

As I said its what I do. It may work, it may not. But its worth trying a couple of times.

Gameova_

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Different things work for different people, so I cannot say this is definitive.

I will say this is what I do and practice.

Try and develop a good sleep hygiene. (google these words for better explanation)

I do get into a peaceful calming routine about 30mins to an hour before bed time. I avoid BF or social media etc. Usually watch a fav TV show.

I actually watch a few youtube videos to chillout in bed and eventually I get tired and crash. The last thing I do is actually play a youtube video that goes for 10 hours and its rainfall and thunder. It plays in the background and helps create a peaceful way to sleep. Obviously a bit difficult if you have a partner sleep over. But I digress.

You can even have beach sounds, etc. There is a lot of youtube videos out there with peaceful sounds and dark screen too, so the bright light doesnt stimulate you.

As I said its what I do. It may work, it may not. But its worth trying a couple of times.

I struggle watching tv. Can't focus. Too much going through my mind. I get interrupted too as room is near kitchen. Siblings always come in my room too. I am single and sleep alone..room has to be pitch dark. Any bit of light including the light under the door can distract my sleep. I usually sometimes fall asleep to piano instrumentals. I find if I'm not really tired or its a nap during the day, I struggle to sleep. Too much on my mind I guess. Way too much so that's why I started taking the sleeping pills.

Thx for the suggestions though. Running helps me be tired once Nightline comes..has to be between 1-2km though or I'm still energetic.

Gameova_

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
GROTTO I really struggle watching tv. I'm not sure if it's depression related but the joy I used to get from watching tv is gone..I rarely watch my sporting teams too..probably watched no more than 5-8 north games in two years. Too addicted to my phone. Even video games I struggle concentrating when I play. Bit weird. Should look into it I think.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Got pets?

Having the companionship of a doggo or kitty can do wonders for mental health.

Focussing on taking care of a pet can take your mind off other things and studies have shown a cats purr can lower blood pressure.

"A cats purr lowers blood pressure and reduces the risk of heart disease. Cat owners have 40% less risk of having a heart attack. The healing power of cat purrs is believed to help with infections, swelling and pain, muscle growth and repair, tendon repair and joint mobility. Be good to that purring kitty in your home."

"Pets, especially dogs and cats, can reduce stress, anxiety, and depression, ease loneliness, encourage exercise and playfulness, and even improve your cardiovascular health. Caring for an animal can help children grow up more secure and active. Pets also provide valuable companionship for older adults."

But please be 100% sure you can look after them.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This second lockdown (Melbs) has been incredibly hard but it's really helped me learn a lot about myself and where my issues stem from.

In terms of other things I've been getting up at 7am every single day and walking - rain, hail, shine. Diet is huge for my mental health - few days of junk and i'll be as self-loathing as anything. Also pop a melatonin an hour or two after dinner and sleep like a baby. Hope everyone is keeping well.

Probably going through a bit of an episode now, after a strong year or so without issue. Left my role at work due to stress, and feeling a bit empty and aimless at the moment. Trying to restore a bit of order to my routine and seeing where that goes.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Probably going through a bit of an episode now, after a strong year or so without issue. Left my role at work due to stress, and feeling a bit empty and aimless at the moment. Trying to restore a bit of order to my routine and seeing where that goes.
routine is the key my friend. ebbs and flows are apart of life and nothing is perfect all the time, or perfect in general. You had a great patch and will do it again. One solid year is a great effort and you can't put a price on that. Get the endorphins flowing again, staying stagnant makes anyone depressed and wandering aimlessly.

On ya mate.

Don't think this will help but I lost my old man suddenly when I was twenty. One of the hardest but most settling things I did was view the body afterwards. Since that day I'm no longer scared of it. He wasn't there, it was just peaceful, no pain, no suffering anymore.
Yeah Im the same mate. i was 23. Im glad it was quick coz Ive seen people struggle for years living like vegetables and I know he wouldve hated that. When I go I want it to be instant... but hopefully not for like 50 years lol

Yesterday was 6 years ago my old man died (I was 21). He had scarring on his lungs from when he tried to gas himself back when I was 8 or so, so it was known for a long time that he was dying so it wasn't sudden. It still hit hard when I received the call at 4 in the morning, though, as you could imagine.. I also viewed his body, at the hospital and also at the funeral, and I'll always be thankful that I chose to as I saw him suffer for many, many years and seeing him without pain and looking so peaceful is what I hold on to, and I hope you guys do, too

It will pass, mate. I'm going through a bit of a s**t patch atm, too, but I have before and I got out of that so I know I will eventually again! Just gotta give it time, and focus on the things you can control (eating, sleeping, routine etc etc)

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
I know its not the biggest thing in the world but the next couple of months of Spring weather will be amazing and worth going for a nice morning/afternoon walk for fresh air and time with my thoughts. Stop and look at a nice view or whatever. Reflect.

Sometimes its just the little things.

I know its not the biggest thing in the world but the next couple of months of Spring weather will be amazing and worth going for a nice morning/afternoon walk for fresh air and time with my thoughts. Stop and look at a nice view or whatever. Reflect.

Yep, keep thinking this myself. With any luck, we might get some eased restrictions in Melbourne at the same time

Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Yeah, amazing how much the weather in the past week has helped.

Back