Workshop design a tasmania logo and jumper

Remove this Banner Ad

That's really cool, I like how there's the definite Tasmania map imagery but it more or less looks like a traditional footy guernsey. As we are a traditional footy state!
Thanks :) Yeah I'm definitely a tradionalist when it comes to AFL guernseys, but I wanted to avoid the standard Tassie map with a T in it design, as I feel that jumper is associated with Tassie the state of origin side, rather than Tassie as an AFL club.

How about an Alaskan type name.

Wild State ?

I’d also not go with the state colours due to SOO, but maybe use a lighter green with subtle dark green highlights.
They'll definitely be the Tassie Devils, that's pretty much already been confirmed. Colours are probably a lock too (even though I think maroon works better than red).

They'll definitely be the Tassie Devils, that's pretty much already been confirmed. Colours are probably a lock too (even though I think maroon works better than red).
How is that confirmed? By what sources? The NAB League team is called Tassie Devils sure, but that isn't much of a confirmation at all. The Devils nickname is so boring in my opinion and having Demons and Devils nicknames in the league is just weird to me.

How is that confirmed? By what sources? The NAB League team is called Tassie Devils sure, but that isn't much of a confirmation at all. The Devils nickname is so boring in my opinion and having Demons and Devils nicknames in the league is just weird to me.
Having Devils and Demons in the league is fine. The mascot isn't a devil, its a Tasmanian Devil (the animal), but you wouldn't call the team Tasmania Tasmanian Devils because it sounds silly. I don't think Devils is boring either. It's uniquely Tasmanian, and that's probably why the public chose it.

The name is not completely confirmed, but when the new brand was announced it was pretty much confirmed. Read below from AFL Tasmania's website:

Every Tasmanian football team from Under 12s boys and girls, to TAC Cup to senior men and senior women will now be known as the Tasmania Devils.

It is a return to the beloved name that was used for Tasmania’s VFL program from 2001-2008. The name was decided through a public suggestion and voting process with hundreds of suggestions made by Tasmanians before being shortlisted by an expert panel for the public to vote on. Devils is back by popular demand, with a compelling 75% of total votes being cast for Tasmania Devils.

The name is a nod to the past but now enters a new era for Tasmanian football with a more integrated and resourced pathway to provide greater opportunities for Tasmanian talent. It also sees a return to the TAC Cup for Tasmania’s Under 18 boys next year, an introduction of a female TAC Cup team the following season and a provisional licence for the Devils to join the VFL competition from 2021.

The announcement of the name is accompanied by the reveal of the new Tasmania Devils logo. The new logo strongly represents Tasmania with a roaring Devil front and centre on the instantly recognisable map that forms a shield, all pictured in Tasmania’s traditional bottle green, yellow and maroon. The logo represents the tenacity of the Devil and Tasmanian footballers.

Along with the numbers that play week in week out across Tasmania there is an immense football culture and a burning passion for the game, it is a powerful connector of communities. The state is incredibly passionate about its football exploits, football people and its football teams. There is a belonging to Tasmania in football that few sporting codes or teams can match.

In the years of state of origin ‘the map’ jumper emerged as a symbol of a proud football heartland, the state’s best against the rest. From 1995 to 2002 saw the era of the Tassie Mariners, the brightest young prospects from the Apple Isle together in the TAC Cup.

From 2002-2008 Tasmania played in the VFL as the Tassie Devils. An identity that quickly caught the passion of the people. It was a cherished time for many Tasmanians, where the state stood together. Fans flocked, players performed and Tasmania united behind one team.

In the years that have passed there has been a yearning for a Tasmanian football identity to belong to again. In 2019, the Devils name is reborn…not just to represent one team but a state, a program, a club. The entire Tasmanian football pathway sits under the same name and brand.

A team that gives every Tasmanian an identity to embrace, a badge to cheer for and a chance for all boys, girls, men and women to realise their football dreams.

The Tasmania Devils vision is a team for all Tasmanians to belong to and unite behind.

I'd suggest the bolded line above means that the AFL side will follow the same brand. In fact, I'd bet every dollar I have on it.

having Demons and Devils nicknames in the league is just weird to me.
Nobody in Australia is thinking of a satanic devil when they hear 'Tasmanian Devils' though. Everyone knows it refers to the little marsupial - so it's really not that weird at all. Plus there are 5 teams named after birds, and 3 named after cats which are much more alike than devils and demons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nobody in Australia is thinking of a satanic devil when they hear 'Tasmanian Devils' though. Everyone knows it refers to the little marsupial - so it's really not that weird at all. Plus there are 5 teams named after birds which are much more alike than devils and demons.
Well anyone outside of Australia doesn't know that. Not saying I even give a crap what outsiders think but from a branding perspective I don't think the AFL will be too keen on giving that perception. Either way, the name Devils is just unimaginative, uninspiring.

Well anyone outside of Australia doesn't know that. Not saying I even give a crap what outsiders think but from a branding perspective I don't think the AFL will be too keen on giving that perception. Either way, the name Devils is just unimaginative, uninspiring.

no, people outside australia absolutely know what a tasmanian devil is. ever heard of this guy?
1587951286720.png

no, people outside australia absolutely know what a tasmanian devil is. ever heard of this guy?
View attachment 865686
Gee I only barely remember watching Looney Tunes as a kid, I would struggle to find people only a couple years younger than myself who could name this character. But anyway, it's aside from my main point that the name for a Tasmanian team should be more creative than just slapping the Devils name and calling it a day.

Gee I only barely remember watching Looney Tunes as a kid, I would struggle to find people only a couple years younger than myself who could name this character. But anyway, it's aside from my main point that the name for a Tasmanian team should be more creative than just slapping the Devils name and calling it a day.

there's no need to get overly conceptual, it's a footy team not an art project. if there's a name that everyone expects, it's probably because it's a fitting name and if the only reason not to use it is that it's the one everyone expects, you're just going to end up with a weird name that ages badly like the Power or the Suns.

Just found this article on Foxsports:

What would it do to the name & guernsey design process if St. Kilda was relocated to Tassie ??

Southern Saints ??

Would the current Saints livery be kept, completely reworked or maybe a colour or two changed (eg. black comes out, green comes in) ??

Just found this article on Foxsports:

What would it do to the name & guernsey design process if St. Kilda was relocated to Tassie ??

Southern Saints ??

Would the current Saints livery be kept, completely reworked or maybe a colour or two changed (eg. black comes out, green comes in) ??
I don't think they could just swap black out for green. Things start to look very Italian :p

also if the club ends up not even wearing the same jumper there's basically no reason for it to even consider itself a continuation of the old one. absolutely no current st. kilda supporter is going to want to barrack for the "tasmania saints" who don't even wear the same colours st. kilda used to. in fact there'd probably be some tassie people who resent being asked to barrack for a rebranded victorian club instead of one with a home-grown identity.

anyway can we not bring up discussions about killing 100+ year old clubs in threads that aren't about that?

also if the club ends up not even wearing the same jumper there's basically no reason for it to even consider itself a continuation of the old one. absolutely no current st. kilda supporter is going to want to barrack for the "tasmania saints" who don't even wear the same colours st. kilda used to. in fact there'd probably be some tassie people who resent being asked to barrack for a rebranded victorian club instead of one with a home-grown identity.

anyway can we not bring up discussions about killing 100+ year old clubs in threads that aren't about that?

There’s already a Tasmania Kangaroos team with North colours.

There’s already a Tasmania Kangaroos team with North colours.

they're the north melbourne tasmania kangaroos, and i can't wait for them to stop calling themselves that. watching the women play in the blue and white stripes at arden st. oval was a great experience. tassie deserves their own team and identity, and north deserves one that isn't fractured. it was part of the bid to get into the AFLW and now that they're in, it should be dropped at the first opportunity.

they're the north melbourne tasmania kangaroos, and i can't wait for them to stop calling themselves that. watching the women play in the blue and white stripes at arden st. oval was a great experience. tassie deserves their own team and identity, and north deserves one that isn't fractured. it was part of the bid to get into the AFLW and now that they're in, it should be dropped at the first opportunity.

So again we see North do the easy thing only to gain something they don’t deserve.

I say North should be made to see through this Tasmania thing after so many other exploits and waste of money over the past 20 to 30 years.

So again we see North do the easy thing only to gain something they don’t deserve.

I say North should be made to see through this Tasmania thing after so many other exploits and waste of money over the past 20 to 30 years.
Your club was a shambles on-field up to a couple years ago, and in fact I'm sure you're aware were on the brink of extinction in the early 90s. Let's see how you'd feel if the Tassie Tigers were playing today. Just because North tried to market themselves in Tassie does not mean an adequate punishment is to send them there for good. In fact I applaud North for finding a balance and marketing themselves there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back