Diet and nutrition

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve set an early alarm to get up and make a big brekky. Three days with nothing but pretty yuck green juices and s**t hasn’t been the best. Not actually that hard hunger wise (I never felt hungry just not satisfied) but definately lethargic and fuzzy mentally.
Well done on seeing it through, but here endeth the lesson.
Juice fasts are pointless and do more harm than good. Wait 2 weeks and try a water (black tea.coffee) fast and I bet you will feel a million bucks, especially after your first "very light meal"

I’ve been doing a form of Low carb/sugar free for about 2 months now with a weekly cheat day.

Now at the point where I don’t look forward to the cheat day. In a weird way I dread it.

Had birthday drinks on Saturday night at the pub and had the chips and shitty good that goes with it and I still feel gross.

Anyone else watching their diet and finding that a night out hits a lot harder? (Whether it’s the alcohol and/or the shitty food that often comes with it)

I actually think the mindfulness thing is the biggest benefit, were both notorious snackers so sitting on the couch watching a movie and not being able to snack made me aware that I actuially don't even really want to, I just do it out of habit.
Yeah this makes a huge difference. I used to knock of a whole block of Lindt chocolate each night while watching TV. Would also, between episodes, make a greasy toasted cheese sandwich, often right before bed. From a 'needs' basis - the evening/end of day is not a time that you need to boost energy. You're about to go to sleep - so the drive/urge is just about the taste in your mouth. If you can revisit/rethink that urge then you can drop your crap food intake pretty significantly.

Evening all, I've been reading the last 20 odd pages (back till that Daz guy turned the place upside down) and read the first 20 odd pages, I'm super impressed with the level of knowledge around here. I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for resources to help me out with a low calorie diet. I loosely did the Man Shake stuff recently and stuck to it well for the first month but not surprisingly, fell off the wagon on my second. I'm just about through my last couple of bags and don't really have the money to outlay to get another months worth I might not use.

I'm 175ish centimetres tall and weigh 93kgs so I have quite a bit to lose. The hardest part for me is lunches. I'm a sparky, spend 90% of my time doing maintenance work so I never know if I'll have access to a microwave or not and need to stop taking sandwiches or eating whatever crap my boss stops for. Does anyone have any tips on the type of lunches that would be good in an Esky? It stays fairly cold but some days gets borderline. Im also pretty crappy at having breakfast but I'll work harder to make sure I have it. Snacks in my Esky are usually rice crackers, an apple and a tin of tuna. Dinners are usually fine, my missus and I still follow the Man Shake recipes most nights for dinner, purely because it's actually quick, easy and pretty tasty. We have a nine month old boy so healthy, quick and easy is the goal generally.

You're all much smarter and experienced on the subject than me, does anyone know of any websites or even apps that would be a good place to start? There's some pretty impressive fitness blogs I guess you'd call them but it's always hard as an outsider to filter the crap from the useful ones .

Evening all, I've been reading the last 20 odd pages (back till that Daz guy turned the place upside down) and read the first 20 odd pages, I'm super impressed with the level of knowledge around here. I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for resources to help me out with a low calorie diet. I loosely did the Man Shake stuff recently and stuck to it well for the first month but not surprisingly, fell off the wagon on my second. I'm just about through my last couple of bags and don't really have the money to outlay to get another months worth I might not use.

I'm 175ish centimetres tall and weigh 93kgs so I have quite a bit to lose. The hardest part for me is lunches. I'm a sparky, spend 90% of my time doing maintenance work so I never know if I'll have access to a microwave or not and need to stop taking sandwiches or eating whatever crap my boss stops for. Does anyone have any tips on the type of lunches that would be good in an Esky? It stays fairly cold but some days gets borderline. Im also pretty crappy at having breakfast but I'll work harder to make sure I have it. Snacks in my Esky are usually rice crackers, an apple and a tin of tuna. Dinners are usually fine, my missus and I still follow the Man Shake recipes most nights for dinner, purely because it's actually quick, easy and pretty tasty. We have a nine month old boy so healthy, quick and easy is the goal generally.

You're all much smarter and experienced on the subject than me, does anyone know of any websites or even apps that would be a good place to start? There's some pretty impressive fitness blogs I guess you'd call them but it's always hard as an outsider to filter the crap from the useful ones .

Do you have those freezer bricks you can put in your esky? I find they keep mine pretty cold if you leave the esky zipped up.

As for lunches maybe try salads meat and wraps depending if you want carbs. These are best eaten cold.

Or where you do maintenance do you work in areas that have microwaves you can borrow?

Weight loss will come down to consistently sticking at a diet. It isn’t easy and definitely hard work.

Welcome and gl:thumbsu: You seem to have that "Man Shake" sussed. (p.s. thanks for the mention)

I recommend really trying to get breakfast in there - if you start your day off right (oats is my go to), you may find that you're less hungry at lunch, and can have a salad as Saj_21 mentioned. I don't know if this will be useful for you as I am a female so my intake is lower, but this is more or less my daily (about 1200 cals):

Breakfast
Blended oats with protein powder, whatever fruit is in the fridge (Apple etc.) I also toss in some liquid iron, but you probably don't need to if you're a bloke who eats red meat.
Snacks
Some piece of fruit / nuts
Lunch
Sandwich - no butter, no cheese, no sauce. Ideally it's chicken, or roast beef, or turkey.
Snack 2 (if I'm greedy)
Can of Tuna
Dinner
Zoodles/Tofu/Rice/Whatever is being served :D

A pretty easy hack I found to reduce calorie intake is to cut out the unnecessary stuff in a meal. If you're having something at subway for example, skip the sauce and cheese.

I also try to stick to food that can be measured. I don't put it on a scale or even bother measuring it out, but it's easier to eyeball than something like a spread. I avoid things like peanut butter because it's pretty easy to go overboard. I also avoid putting together a meal of lettuce and celery sticks on a plate because in no way is that realistic.

If I can give any advice it's to not spend too much time with the blogs etc. They'll give you a good idea, but I think diets are one of those things that are quite personal. If you can educate yourself, and make tweaks here and there, it'll be easier than doing a complete overhaul that you can't stick to (as you've found). Instead of searching for meal plans, instead research nutrition. The rest should just flow if you know what you're doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recommend really trying to get breakfast in there - if you start your day off right (oats is my go to), you may find that you're less hungry at lunch, and can have a salad as Saj_21 mentioned. I don't know if this will be useful for you as I am a female so my intake is lower, but this is more or less my daily (about 1200 cals):

Theirs still no evidence breakfast is needed for overall health or the mythical energy boost.
The majority who give up that early meal permanently find they function better, and have better calorie control the rest of the day. It's only when breakfast eaters (doctors, dietitians etc) cannot have that meal they feel like s**t and that's where the myth originates.

Theirs still no evidence breakfast is needed for overall health or the mythical energy boost.
The majority who give up that early meal permanently find they function better, and have better calorie control the rest of the day. It's only when breakfast eaters (doctors, dietitians etc) cannot have that meal they feel like s**t and that's where the myth originates.

I use to not eat breakfast (10+ years of this), and now I do. For me, I am much less hungry throughout the day, and I can have small meals instead of huge meals at once.

I use to not eat breakfast (10+ years of this), and now I do. For me, I am much less hungry throughout the day, and I can have small meals instead of huge meals at once.

Eating bigger meals is one of the perks of IF for me. I'd rather have fewer meals but be able to pig out more when I do than have to limit portion sizes for three meals a day.

Makes it feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds - controlling calorie intake while still gorging on big, satisfying meals.

Eating bigger meals is one of the perks of IF for me. I'd rather have fewer meals but be able to pig out more when I do than have to limit portion sizes for three meals a day.

Makes it feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds - controlling calorie intake while still gorging on big, satisfying meals.
Same here. I have a medium midday meal, small mid-arvo protein snack/meal then a big dinner. Same as you, it's the best of both worlds.
Heaps of small meals makes me feel hungry all the time.

Do either of you work out in the morning or do you do afternoon/night sessions?

Wondering how IF would work for a morning gym goer - I'm ravenous by about 10am.

Wondering how IF would work for a morning gym goer - I'm ravenous by about 10am.

I do a bit of a mix of morning/night training depending on my schedule. I'm pretty used to exercising fasted and never had an issue. Last week I worked out in the morning and then played AFL 9's in the evening all while being fasted the whole day.

I don't stress about protein timing after workouts and all that. I'm not training to be an elite lifter or a competitive bodybuilder so the 80/20 rule works just fine.

Completely agree, those studies that say people who don't eat breakfast are more likely to overeat and gain weight i would dare say people who have little regard for their health or knowledge on how to eat. News alert you overeat 24 hrs a day you will put on weight.

Skipping breakfast is a valuable tool to minimize calories and lose weight.

IF is great for calorie management and one thing I have learned after a couple years of doing it (and no longer eating breakfast) is to listen to my body, screw watching the clock, if you get to 10am and you need some fuel then do it, after a while you differentiate between wants and needs.

Train from 5-6 with some pre workout aminos
Post workout BP coffee at 8am
First meal at midday

#winning

Dunno if this website has been mentioned before - www.cronometer.com - I've found to be a very useful website for tracking calories etc. (down 6kg or so this year so far). It will track your macros but also micronutrient intake too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back