Diet and nutrition

Remove this Banner Ad

the MFP app for example is telling me
1540 cal per day (this is assuming no exercise because of how I set it up originally)
193g carbs
51g fat
77g protein

seems like waaaaaay too many carbs compared to what you said

Did you set the protein levels manually?Based on previous posts I assume you need to have them at lower levels

I’d say the trouble with a lot of apps they are conversative with the recommendations when it comes to protein and fats, hence carbs will always be bumped up.

Did you set the protein levels manually?Based on previous posts I assume you need to have them at lower levels

I’d say the trouble with a lot of apps they are conversative with the recommendations when it comes to protein and fats, hence carbs will always be bumped up.

No thats just what the app said given the information i put in regarding height weight and activity levels.

You are probably right about the carbs being bumped up, I feel like i'm not getting enough protein regardless need a protein powder that doesn't taste like crap

DAA and their minions are still recommending 0.8g per kilo.

They are way too focused on bananas as a source of nutrition

83f7cc561fe4612619eb2d809e528905.jpg

To be fair, for your average person that wouldn't be too far off but for people who regularly exercise in particular do resistance training it is nowhere near enough.

Bloody trained professionals what do they know :p
Its a 25 year old recomendation that has been upgraded significantly but they stil refuse to move with the times. And dont you thnk its odd you're sticking up for dietetic profdssionals and at the same time on an internet forum asking questions from amatures? Shouldnt you be bokjng an appointment with your local dietitian for your particular advice?

For the average person in the street who does a bit of exercise IMO the best method to go by is the Don't Eat s**t dietary model. No need to be fanatical about it, just steer clear of processed foods and drinks as much as possible.

After much experimentation over a number of years that is what I went with.

Its a 25 year old recomendation that has been upgraded significantly but they stil refuse to move with the times. And dont you thnk its odd you're sticking up for dietetic profdssionals and at the same time on an internet forum asking questions from amatures? Shouldnt you be bokjng an appointment with your local dietitian for your particular advice?

I go to Pete Evans for all my advice

For the average person in the street who does a bit of exercise IMO the best method to go by is the Don't Eat s**t dietary model. No need to be fanatical about it, just steer clear of processed foods and drinks as much as possible.

After much experimentation over a number of years that is what I went with.

That's pretty much what the doc said to me, don't concern yourself with fancy diets like ketogenic or paleo because you will never stick to them. Just limit the crap and eat more healthy stuff.

That's pretty much what the doc said to me, don't concern yourself with fancy diets like ketogenic or paleo because you will never stick to them. Just limit the crap and eat more healthy stuff.
Yer, it's pretty simple IMO, commonsense, everybody knows what's OK and what's not these days.

If you want to delve into dietary needs in a more precise manner all good, each to their own, I personally couldn't be bothered.

the basic issue I have with Paleo is that it's a lie

it's been proven that people adapted and ate what was available to them locally

the eat fruit and veg and have less processed crap is a good idea but the removal of entire groups of foods like legumes isn't necessary or even good for most people

if you get a good mix of protein, carbs and healthy fats from a variety of foods and you control your intake and don't overdo any one group you are probably going to be ok

my biggest issue is that I still eat too much crap and I like red wine, but I'm ok with that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't say I follow any of the celebrity chefs, is the derision of Pete Evans tongue in cheek or is there genuine dislike there?

IMO if he is influencing people to eat healthier he is doing some good. Ramsay, Oliver, Moran, Manu etc etc.. all worthwhile.

Can't say I follow any of the celebrity chefs, is the derision of Pete Evans tongue in cheek or is there genuine dislike there?

IMO if he is influencing people to eat healthier he is doing some good. Ramsay, Oliver, Moran, Manu etc etc.. all worthwhile.
As usual the moderators are here doing nothing but troll. Pathetic really.

Pete Evans is a sanctimonious twat, if this was the wild west he would be a snake oil salesman.

The stuff people like Jamie Oliver was doing with British school was good though

This x1000

I'm down about 15kg so far following this method and i've never set foot in a gym in my life
Nice work.

I am a regular gym goer and have tried a few different diets, admittedly I tend to include white bleached flour as part of foods to avoid (and I don't eat much wheat anyway) but for the vast majority of the population just cutting out processed s**t would be enough.

Diets that are too restrictive/strict can, for many people, lead to binge eating when they finally 'break'.

Nice work.

I am a regular gym goer and have tried a few different diets, admittedly I tend to include white bleached flour as part of foods to avoid (and I don't eat much wheat anyway) but for the vast majority of the population just cutting out processed s**t would be enough.

Diets that are too restrictive/strict can, for many people, lead to binge eating when they finally 'break'.

Most of my issue was just eating garbage and soft drinks, drink nothing but water & coffee/tea now and completely cut out the snacking on junk

I feel like if you excluded anything you could buy at a movie theatre* (sans water) or from a drive through you’d probably end up with a reasonably healthy way of eating.

*it’s been a while since I’ve been and ever longer since I’ve bought any food there so not sure what they’re selling these days but all I can remember is candy, popcorn and soft drink

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back