Ding Dong the wicked witch...has quit

Remove this Banner Ad

Guys, let's keep the political stuff out of this and just be happy of the fact that Collins can't hurt us or the AFL anymore. It takes the thread off topic and I know too well that threads relating to politics fall apart and result in hurt feelings for everyone.

This is your only warning.

Guys, let's keep the political stuff out of this and just be happy of the fact that Collins can't hurt us or the AFL anymore. It takes the thread off topic and I know too well that threads relating to politics fall apart and result in hurt feelings for everyone.

This is your only warning.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Did we get the North Korean boards moderators?

Did you at the time?

Not at the time, no. I was still only young, but I still had a strong grasp of the rules, and remember it vividly. Im sure there would have been some people who did think it did, but I would imagine they would have been heavily outweighed by the people didn't think there was anything in it.

It seemed to me, and I imagine most people, that it was an accidental contact to the opponent's head while Granty was trying to spoil a mark. Both the umpires evidently agreed with this point of view and a free kick was paid.

But Collins saw fit to overrule the umpires' decision that it was not a reportable offence. In what was a very rare [if not unprecedented?] decision, Collins saw fit to haul one of the fairest players ever to pull on the boots before the AFL and denied him of his Brownlow Medal.

Agreed. I thought at the time that it was outrageous, vindictive and excessive use of his executive powers to override the umpires who even after being challenged on it and viewing it on video saw no need to lay a report.

The mark of the man is that Chris Grant has moved on from there and although he no doubt gets asked pretty often about it he doesn't dwell on it or harbour a grudge (at least not publicly). When you consider the glory and financial rewards that come with a Brownlow that's a pretty sporting approach to take.

Maybe it's time we all moved on too... and just be thankful that Collo will at last be gone from the AFL scene!

So you don't believe grants hit warranted a look?

No, it was reviewed by the match umpires and overrruled.

end of story, whats done is done. His overall handling of the AFL during his time at the chair followed by the contraversy at Etihad with seating & the turf is poor form indeed.

Just happy to see him move on

i saw footage of it not long ago somewhere... if it happened this year, he'd go for a few weeks for sure

Are you for real? It was the softest incident ever. Nick Holland was facing the ball in a pack mark situation, Grant facing him. Grant had his arm out to tap the ball away, instead connecting with Holland's face.

At least that's how I remember it. Just scoured youtube looking for footage but nothing showed up.

Hey guys, just sharing the love here... Just a quick one for the older Doggies people. Wasn't it Ian Collins who signed Tom Alvin to Carlton despite the fact that he grew up and was living in Bairnsdale at the time?
He debuted for the Blues in '84 and would have been pretty handy in that '85 team alongside other Bairnsdale boys Jimmy Edmond, Brian Royal and Michael Ford.
With 218 games in ten years and 6 state of origin games under his belt, I'd say Collo cost you a very reliable, durable and classy player...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys, just sharing the love here... Just a quick one for the older Doggies people. Wasn't it Ian Collins who signed Tom Alvin to Carlton despite the fact that he grew up and was living in Bairnsdale at the time?
He debuted for the Blues in '84 and would have been pretty handy in that '85 team alongside other Bairnsdale boys Jimmy Edmond, Brian Royal and Michael Ford.
With 218 games in ten years and 6 state of origin games under his belt, I'd say Collo cost you a very reliable, durable and classy player...
Collins was CEO of Carlton at the time so there is a good chance that he might have been behind it.

He wanted to get his grubby paws on Tommy's hair.

What happened here?

The following is my recollection of events, I can't vouch for their validity.

1. Collins is president of Carlton Football Club.
2. Carlton Football Club try to lure Chris Grant to them but he prefers to stay at the Bulldogs.
3. To what extent does Collins now become vindictive and seek revenge on Chris Grant? The assumption is there as Collins gets egg on his face through a young lad offering Chris his pocket money to stay at the Bulldogs.
4. Collins becomes president of the AFL.
5. Collins, whilst reviewing the match sees an unreported incident where Chris strikes another player. It had only just come in that players could be reported on video review.
6. Collins reports Chris Grant. I don't know whether or not it was Collins' job to make reports. I thought not. I think that it was his first ever report.
7. The umpires said that they did not report Chris Grant because they said that there was nothing in it.
8. The members of the tribunal found Chris guilty and he was suspended for one week.
9. To what extent were the members of the tribunal in their decision to suspend Chris influenced by Collins? Were they fully independent? Did they feel that they were obliged to suspend Chris because that's how the boss wanted it?
10. Other enemies of ours, Bruce McAvaney, suggested that, after the incident the umpires struck back and gave Chris votes when he didn't deserve them, thereby making him the nominal winner of the Brownlow.
11. It was later recognised that the system of review was flawed and it was changed. But I don't know how.

I don't know why this didn't go to court. Seems as though a huge wrong needs fixing.

What happened here?

The following is my recollection of events, I can't vouch for their validity.

1. Collins is president of Carlton Football Club.
2. Carlton Football Club try to lure Chris Grant to them but he prefers to stay at the Bulldogs.
3. To what extent does Collins now become vindictive and seek revenge on Chris Grant? The assumption is there as Collins gets egg on his face through a young lad offering Chris his pocket money to stay at the Bulldogs.
4. Collins becomes president of the AFL.
5. Collins, whilst reviewing the match sees an unreported incident where Chris strikes another player. It had only just come in that players could be reported on video review.
6. Collins reports Chris Grant. I don't know whether or not it was Collins' job to make reports. I thought not. I think that it was his first ever report.
7. The umpires said that they did not report Chris Grant because they said that there was nothing in it.
8. The members of the tribunal found Chris guilty and he was suspended for one week.
9. To what extent were the members of the tribunal in their decision to suspend Chris influenced by Collins? Were they fully independent? Did they feel that they were obliged to suspend Chris because that's how the boss wanted it?
10. Other enemies of ours, Bruce McAvaney, suggested that, after the incident the umpires struck back and gave Chris votes when he didn't deserve them, thereby making him the nominal winner of the Brownlow.
11. It was later recognised that the system of review was flawed and it was changed. But I don't know how.

I don't know why this didn't go to court. Seems as though a huge wrong needs fixing.
He was the AFL 'Director of Football Operations' and wanted Port Adelaide to have a marquee player, hence why he let Port float a big money offer to Grant to get him to defect. Grant turns it down for a smaller contract from the Bulldogs thanks to a younger fan showing real belief in him. I have no doubt that Collins took the chance to put Grant in his place once he saw something like the Holland incident occur.

Just to clarify this.

In 1997 the umpires watched each of their games back on video in full as part of their training/learning. As part of that review, if they so any reportable event, they were to report it.

The umpires did not report Chris under these procedures, and were asked by the AFL, presumably Collins, to review the incident again. They again said they did not think the incident was reportable.

Up stepped Collins who decided to lay his own report.

It had never happened before, and never happened again!!!

The bulldogs have endured many injustices over the years, but this ranks high in the list.

Incidentally, spoke to the Great Man, on Sunday, as he kept a watchful eye on young Oliver along with his girls. Told him it was great to see him in the media. Stated that he was really enjoying it and liked the ABC's show, because if focused on the football and not the commentators. Reminded of this comment as Fox shows a couple of ex players one Hawthorn and one St Kila who seem to think it all about them.....

I'll always have a great admiration for Chris' values based on the fact that he could have gone anywhere and won a premiership in that time.

It says something for a player of his quality to repay the club that gave him his opportunity at the game, ahead of fame and fortune.

I'll always detest Collins for what he has done to our club over the years but I have no ill feelings towards Carlton who he was affiliated with.

I remember a great disappointment when the tribunal supported Collins rather than the umpires. Why did they do this? What discussions took place? Their decision seemed to be immoral.

I also wonder why the club did not appeal, either directly after the suspension or directly after the Brownlow Medal count. Was the club relying upon funding from the AFL and Collins held the purse strings? Was the question, "Do you want justice or do you want to live?"

There must be more to this story. Our very own administration seems to be very quiet on the matter.

It's gonna be worth the admission price to the Doggies game after the sad F*** eventually passes away to hear the 'sabotaged with justice' moment of *cough* silence.. from some disgruntled Doggies fans.. go for it.. stick it to him.. I don't think many 'everyday fan with knowledge' would mind..

now,how good would the timing be if he passed away in the lead up to the Carlton game?

Nice one - If there is a moment of silence for that prick when he dies I'll be screaming my head off

This arseholes behavior when Fitzroy were "merged" with Brisbane was beyond the pale.

Apparently he was in the Fitzroy offices when the fax came through that effectively finished up the Roys - and was gloating in front of some very distressed Fitroys people who had for years tried to keep us afloat that he finally "got them", meaning he had the signed deed that finished us up in his hand.

I've said it plenty of times on this Board, but i will say it again...

"I wouldnt piss on the bastard if he was on fire ! "

Its a damn shame that he and John Elliot cant get a one way ticket on the Costa Concordia and sail of in the sunset together the two old wrinkled up melways faces :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back