Autopsy Collingwood v Geelong, Rd 1 2019: Disappointing loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

There were only 7 goals kicked in the first half; the 6/6/6 rule just isn’t important enough to dictate selection on it’s own.

We looked slow because we didn’t take on the opposition enough. No doubt the lack of WHE wouldn’t have helped. When we did take them on we turned it over because our skills were Auskick standard.

We looked slow because we were often caught, not many of our players could break from geelong, who often gap closed even when initially leading in a foot race due to superior positioning near loose balls.

6/6/6 promotes space there was often a lot of it after goals but teams likely are yet to make full use of it and the team who does it best will likely win the flag.

Kelly killed Mayne when on the wing. Kelly was BOG for mine. Mayne was back to his old self ball watching and forgetting his opponent.

Why we lost IMO:

our mids not standing up; 18 inside 50's for 1 goal in the second quarter; Phillips and JDG brainfade; not tagging Selwood with Greenwood;
too much handball; Grundy seemed to run out of puff 2nd half; Stephenson and Mihocek poor, just to name a few as still very disappointed.

The umpiring had me scratching my head seems you only have to kick it 8 metres for a mark to be paid, holding the ball ?

Good things, Elliott (74%TOG) and Moore both made it through the game. I actually didn't mind Crisp and Aish.
If Mayne was on Kelly, then he was slaughtered. Kelly was invincible and dynamic.

The umpiring had me scratching my head

I was rooting for your guys tonight as I usually do in a Pies vs non Dogs game, and agree that you didn't make the most of your opportunities.

But the umpires....

Dodgy free kick to dodgy free kick to the Cats...as a semi-neutral fan, I kept on thinking WTF was that free to the Cats?

I hate umpire whingers, but IMO they didn't do your lot any favours tonight.

Rather annoying to have another sluggish start to the season, not too many good words for that performance.

One bright point to my mind is that we don't play that badly, usually, and I don't think we'll play that badly again for the rest of the season. Not sure how far we'll go, but it gets better from here.

Moore was sensational, great to have him out there.

I was rooting for your guys tonight as I usually do in a Pies vs non Dogs game, and agree that you didn't make the most of your opportunities.

But the umpires....

Dodgy free kick to dodgy free kick to the Cats...as a semi-neutral fan, I kept on thinking WTF was that free to the Cats?

Umpires were a lottery all night. Thought we got a lot of soft ones in the first half and then the tide turned. It's going to be a crapshoot for the first 4 weeks or so then it should even out a little.

I’ve said it numerous times, Phillips is the worst footballer I’ve even see in black and white

Not even close.

Cameron Wood
Simon Buckley
Jackson Paine
Peter Yagmoor

... etc, etc, etc

But the umpires....

I don't like it either but tonight especially in first half, was scratching my head. Thanks, didn't cost the game though but must be disheartning for players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aish - thought he had a good game, plays a role in the pocket. Was cleaner than most and deceptively hard. Liking his game.
Give me Goldy every day of the week. Aish is safe and steady but offers no run, pace or initiative off half back. I struggle to see why the coach seems to think he is best 22.

He needs to start dominating games particularly against ordinary ruckmen.

He's still only 24 so a baby for a ruckman yet has done heaps. His last year was superb and full of honours. I'm surprised people are going off him based on tonight. It's just a shitty night but Grundy will give plenty of opponents nightmares this year. Best and fairest, AA, MVP just last year. Put it down as a rough first night.

Yep centre and wing. He is No.11 isn't he?

Never saw him on the wing once and never on Mayne.

I stand corrected if that’s the case.

It's amazing how much of a free pass Varcoe gets on this board.

to 3rd quarter time he had 5 touches and 3 clangers, absolutely woeful, and no one says anything.

Agree with you mate. He's a nothing sort of player even though he tried his guts out. Not sure what his position really is.

Grundy played well, but what's with this 'best player in the comp' s**t? he's a very good tap ruckman who can link up, ordinary contested mark, ordinary kick, decent skills overall though, but best player in the comp? ******* PMSL.

Did he play well though? Not sure about that. Got his hands to it a lot, and from there it's out of his control. But his influence around the ground was muted. Wasn't imposing or damaging at all. Perhaps not the best conditions for him, but I wonder if his confidence is all there at the moment. Need him firing for next week.

Not even close.

Cameron Wood
Simon Buckley
Jackson Paine
Peter Yagmoor

... etc, etc, etc

Ahhhh Jackson Paine... the great white key position hope. Those were the days.

There was no defensive pressure from Beams and Treloar
Treloar had 10 turnovers. Despite having 34 possessions I thought he was very poor.
Crisp had 6 turnovers off HB

In the send quarter we had 18 I50's before we scored a goal.

Jamie was great with very little opportunity. Darcy was good at FB

Cox, Varcoe, De Goey Howe, Stevo, Treloar, Crisp, Phillips, Aish, Thomas and Mihocek were largely ineffective so this also represents an enormous upside.

I thought Mayne can hold his head up high. He’s no superstar, but he put in 100% and played to the best of his ability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back