Politics Do you believe politics should be discussed casually?

Remove this Banner Ad

I did also get PM'd some death threats and a dick pic from that Honker fellow, who is now no longer with us (in that account anyway). That kept me amused for a few minutes.

He wont be missed.

Was it the death threats that tipped you over the edge?

I agree, but it does make me wonder how often people unconsciously expose their political/religious prejudices just in the passage of conversation in one of those situations. Do the people on those rigs just not talk? How do they keep themselves from blowing their brains out from boredom?

Even in the hardest jobs with the worst conditions or in the most antisocial of jobs, you learn things about other people in the course of working with them. How does sh*t just not come out at some point, late at night over drinks or eating?
I guess they talked about football (soccer) and sex. My mate said their were people on those rigs whose nations had been at war (Iraqi refugees and Iranians,) Jewish people who supported Israel and Arabs, Hindus, Christians and Muslims, Sunni and Shia.... every possible conflict you could imagine in the early 00s had representatives on some of his crews so it was an enforced rule tho who knows what people talked about in private between two or three individuals.

The way he described it everyone brought into the rule and gave each other a bit of space too. I always supposed working in a stinking hot, empty desert (they worked the Rub' al Khali for a few years, and the sw corner of EGypt near the Libyan and Sudanese borders) makes you less likely to want to find divisions between your workmates.

No, I'm used to them. Conservatives get quite death threat-y when you ask them to stop being tools.

As you're well aware.

I am more than aware of the limitations and biases displayed by certain moderators.:thumbsu:

Ultimately, it's just the reference point of a random person who has hold of the power, it isn't truth, and it's predominately market (advertising) driven.

fu** that. I just quit smoking after 30 years of the bastards, and that was hard enough, considering my acute depression of late. New Years resolution and all that.

Then last night I got a call that my Dad had a stroke yesterday. His second. Is in a bad way. Couldnt understand him on the phone. Also has chronic emphysema and a BP of 180 or something insane.

He smoked for 50 years. Still does AFAIK.

Im done with them.
Sorry to hear about your old man.

Stroke can be a *er. So can the after effects. If you get the chance and want to spend some time with him do it now. My old man had a stroke 15 years before he died but the last 5-10 were pretty bad due to associated ongoing vascular dementia. I wish i'd spent more time with him in that period straight afterward because after about five years we started losing bits of him.

I am more than aware of the limitations and biases displayed by certain moderators.:thumbsu:

Ultimately, it's just the reference point of a random person who has hold of the power, it isn't truth, and it's predominately market (advertising) driven.

Ever stopped to consider the problem might be closer to home, and not lying at the feet of some grand conspiracy involving multiple people who have never met each other (or in many cases, met you), coupled with the operation of market forces and the corrupt MSM?

Rhetorical question. Maybe you're the only one marching in step and we're all doing it wrong.

I mean, you're not paranoid if they ARE out to get you.

Ever stopped to consider the problem might be closer to home, and not lying at the feet of some grand conspiracy involving multiple people who have never met each other (or in many cases, met you), coupled with the operation of market forces and the corrupt MSM?

Rhetorical question. Maybe you're the only one marching in step and we're all doing it wrong.

I mean, you're not paranoid if they ARE out to get you.

..................and the shark has been jumped again.

Stroke can be a f***er. So can the after effects. If you get the chance and want to spend some time with him do it now. My old man had a stroke 15 years before he died but the last 5-10 were pretty bad due to associated ongoing vascular dementia. I wish i'd spent more time with him in that period straight afterward because after about five years we started losing bits of him.

Looking into flights to Tassie from Perth as we speak.

Havent had a chance to tell work yet.

I probably need to sleep at some stage too.

Stroke can be a f***er. So can the after effects. If you get the chance and want to spend some time with him do it now. My old man had a stroke 15 years before he died but the last 5-10 were pretty bad due to associated ongoing vascular dementia. I wish i'd spent more time with him in that period straight afterward because after about five years we started losing bits of him.

Also sorry to hear about your old man. I haven't spoken to mine more than a handful of times in 20 years for... reasons.

A state of affairs that's been haunting me all night.

Cant do anything from here. Gonna sleep before my head does me in. Night all.

And Snake_Baker be good while I'm away!

Also sorry to hear about your old man. I haven't spoken to mine more than a handful of times in 20 years for... reasons.

A state of affairs that's been haunting me all night.

Cant do anything from here. Gonna sleep before my head does me in. Night all.

And Snake_Baker be good while I'm away!

I'll continue to be honest and hope that it's also "good".

I hope you find peace with your father also. The bigger person always makes the first step. Be that person. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back