Do you think if you really tried hard enough, you could make it to the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond
for the money it pays being an AFL player just isn't worth it. These blokes are seriously some of the fittest athletes in the world. Most positions now require an amazing aerobic capacity. Then you need to put on a decent amount of muscle to stand the bumps and high speed collisions. And honestly unless you are insanely quick with great skills you arent going to make it if youre under 6"0. Then theres life after footy where your body is crippled from so many injuries and surgeries. Stuff that.

If I had children I would point them towards tennis, golf or soccer. What I love about the idea of playing soccer is that you can be as short as Hazard or Messi and still make it. And if you don't reach the highest level you can still play in many other leagues will you will earn a great income compared to AFL. All of these sports still earn a decent income if your child is a girl too. The women in AFLW have buckleys chance of earning the same amount as men. As a spectacle women playing aussie rules just pales in comparison to the mens league. Just like the WNBA ill be very surprised if it ever takes off no matter how much promotion and generations of participation go into it
i know this is off topic but we"ll see where womens football is really at when the novelty fades and ppl have to pay to go and watch,because its free at the moment,the proof will be, is it good enough to extract money from the customer ?

Played state soccer and made the Oz unders. So comfortable with the foot skills, the physical (tackles, bumps and aggression/ commitment) and could run all day.

Where I’d struggle is above my head marking, being only 178cm and a poor leap.

On balance I’d say no and the career wasn’t that attractive at the time I’d have had to have committed.

But how cool would it have been playing against Platten, Bradley, Kernaghan.....until you bumped into Lockett

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
Definitely. 6'4", naturally athletic and I'm still a better kick than 90% of AFL-listed players.

Thing is, us Adelaide-based solicitors earn quite a bit above the mean player salary, without having to make nearly as many personal sacrifices. In hindsight, I'm very much content with my decision to accept a bursary to study an LLB rather than nominate for the draft.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
I wouldn't even make the state league, when I played back in Year 6 I was extremely unfit, overweight and had no skill whatsoever, I was terrible. Fast forward 7 years forward, I'm a lot fitter, I lost a lot of puppy fat and put on muscle, but I still wouldn't have the skill.

Do the Dew

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2019
Stuart Dew's Gut
AFL Club
Richmond
for the money it pays being an AFL player just isn't worth it. These blokes are seriously some of the fittest athletes in the world. Most positions now require an amazing aerobic capacity. Then you need to put on a decent amount of muscle to stand the bumps and high speed collisions. And honestly unless you are insanely quick with great skills you arent going to make it if youre under 6"0. Then theres life after footy where your body is crippled from so many injuries and surgeries. Stuff that.

If I had children I would point them towards tennis, golf or soccer. What I love about the idea of playing soccer is that you can be as short as Hazard or Messi and still make it. And if you don't reach the highest level you can still play in many other leagues will you will earn a great income compared to AFL. All of these sports still earn a decent income if your child is a girl too. The women in AFLW have buckleys chance of earning the same amount as men. As a spectacle women playing aussie rules just pales in comparison to the mens league. Just like the WNBA ill be very surprised if it ever takes off no matter how much promotion and generations of participation go into it

One of the hardest sports to make professionally - especially if you're a guy. Top 100 in the world do well and top 50 do extremely well. Outside of that, you struggle to break even and tend to go backwards fast. Also, one bad injury and that's it. You have no contract and don't get paid sitting on the sidelines, unlike in a team sport.

For comparison, let's say that the top 30 on each AFL list makes decent money = 540 players, and pretty much all of them Australian with barely any people from overseas fighting for a spot on the list. Compared to tennis (or golf for that matter), it's far far easier to make it professionally as a footy player, even easier if you are well over 6ft and have a "basketball" background lol - obviously it's still damn hard, but just easier comparatively.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
178cms and while I enjoyed playing footy and had flashes of brilliance I was never able to string together anything you'd call really talented. So definitely not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boomerfan99

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Nuggets
Definitely. 6'4", naturally athletic and I'm still a better kick than 90% of AFL-listed players.

Thing is, us Adelaide-based solicitors earn quite a bit above the mean player salary, without having to make nearly as many personal sacrifices. In hindsight, I'm very much content with my decision to accept a bursary to study an LLB rather than nominate for the draft.

Do your mates call you FIGJAM?

HardcoreGeelongFan

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
St Kilda
I personally think I could take on 5 African American gentlemen. Not all fit & agile or I would be overwhelmed. One or two would have to be fat like the Huell guy from breaking bad. My punches would land less blows but they would tire easy. It's a balance of not having to take all 5 on at once.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back