Docklands Stadium (Marvel Stadium) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

JohnZ

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I can’t tell if this is a joke! One of the major complaints about marvel is the shade during day games. Makes it literally impossible to see half the ground live and on tv
The issue is the hard edges created by the rectangular roof overhang (as seen below). To fix this, make the roof more oval like and use glass to help soften the edges.

1605915356805.png

Billy ray

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
The issue is the hard edges created by the rectangular roof overhang (as seen below). To fix this, make the roof more oval like and use glass to help soften the edges.

View attachment 1015869
Of just get rid of roof on two sides.
two sides hence willbe open aired like old northern stand at mcg.
two sides will be partially undercover.
so remove existing roof structure and replace in that way

JohnZ

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Of just get rid of roof on two sides.
two sides hence willbe open aired like old northern stand at mcg.
two sides will be partially undercover.
so remove existing roof structure and replace in that way
They need the roof for concerts and the like, so I don't think removing it would be a better outcome than the present, but the place needs natural light during the day. Glass dome would fix that.

Shinboner1

Club Legend
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I work at Marvel staduim.
The building was supposed to start end of 2020 but covid must have pushed it back a year.
Plenty of fan engagement and things to do.
Once all the works are completed it will be amazing, just hope it doesn't take away from the actual stadium itself.
It wont be as open anymore as the MCG and others are with all the new buildings surrounding the area.
Something like 40,000 people use the precinct (including southern cross) every day and they wanted to capture some of that with the new 24hr shops etc.
DFO on the other side has fallen off a lot so there's opportunity there.

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1
I work at Marvel staduim.
The building was supposed to start end of 2020 but covid must have pushed it back a year.
Plenty of fan engagement and things to do.
Once all the works are completed it will be amazing, just hope it doesn't take away from the actual stadium itself.
It wont be as open anymore as the MCG and others are with all the new buildings surrounding the area.
Something like 40,000 people use the precinct (including southern cross) every day and they wanted to capture some of that with the new 24hr shops etc.
DFO on the other side has fallen off a lot so there's opportunity there.
Fan engagement needed to cover for the games?
I go to the footy not an event ..

Pykie

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
As a full MCC member who goes to the MCG alot, Level 2 in Docklands is still arguably the best seat to watch football in the country. On average it's a much better ground to watch the game at than the MCG with the average view in the cheap seats..

The only comparable spot to L2 at Marvel are the mezzanine balconies of the MCC.

I've never understood the criticism from MCG tenanted clubs supporters, especially given it's convenience to all train lines, the CBD, Crown etc.

With the renno's and upgraded amenities, it will be awesome.

It was designed back around 1995/1996 people forget.

If it was designed now, it would obviously be a lot different, but it's still a great stadium to physically watch the game. You feel like you could mark the ball in some positions on the ground you are that close to the play.

JohnZ

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I've never understood the criticism from MCG tenanted clubs supporters, especially given it's convenience to all train lines, the CBD, Crown etc.
1. it's very harsh, a lot of concrete and fluro bouncing off it. Some more natural lighting would help. In the day it's particulary marish
2. Seat availability. GA is only on lvl 3 no matter what (as opposed to the MCG where you can sometimes get GA on lvl 1). Lvl2 is always almost empty because the seats are so expensive. Which means that most fans are on lvl3 completely disconnected from the play. Particularly noticeable at quieter games when the home members don't show up to their seats on lvl1

its been done

All Australian
Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
One problem I have with Docklands that no one really talks about is the temperature of the venue when the roof is closed, in winter the stadium is sometimes colder than outside but in summer, if it's a hot day and forecast to rain, it's like being in a oven. One of the Melbourne BBL derbies I went to had this issue when it was 40 or so degrees before a thundery change came through and because not a lot of fresh, cooler air was coming into the stadium (it only comes through the gates for those not familiar with the stadium's layout), we ended up with the latter scenario. Hopefully this rare ventilation problem gets fixed with the refurb

Shinboner1

Club Legend
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1. it's very harsh, a lot of concrete and fluro bouncing off it. Some more natural lighting would help. In the day it's particulary marish
2. Seat availability. GA is only on lvl 3 no matter what (as opposed to the MCG where you can sometimes get GA on lvl 1). Lvl2 is always almost empty because the seats are so expensive. Which means that most fans are on lvl3 completely disconnected from the play. Particularly noticeable at quieter games when the home members don't show up to their seats on lvl1
-At smaller AFL club games there is GA on level 1 but because of a smaller ground member seating generally takes up the majority of the bottom level at Marvel. You can of course buy allocated seats on the ground level too.
-With dynamic pricing the teams now have control (for the most part) over the prices for seats on level 1/2 while level 3 remains the same for all in GA areas.
-Cant really do much when 2 teams of 45k+ members show up and majority of them have allocated seats, maybe you should have prebooked.

JohnZ

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
-At smaller AFL club games there is GA on level 1 but because of a smaller ground member seating generally takes up the majority of the bottom level at Marvel. You can of course buy allocated seats on the ground level too.
-With dynamic pricing the teams now have control (for the most part) over the prices for seats on level 1/2 while level 3 remains the same for all in GA areas.
-Cant really do much when 2 teams of 45k+ members show up and majority of them have allocated seats, maybe you should have prebooked.
I have no issues pre booking for a game that has a crowd above 40k. Marvel is just as good as the G when crowds go that high.

My issue is that the atmosphere is severely lacking when more than 50% of the crowd is on lvl3. It totally disconnects the crowd from the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad