Docklands Stadium (Marvel Stadium) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The food/bev outlets can't cope with a crowd north of 40k, just absolutely shits itself.
The food/bev outlets were barely coping with a 19k crowd today, and the concourse is even worse, it is way too narrow for a 53k stadium

AFL managing it now?
Delaware North is the company, and they've had the contact for food/bev at Marvel since it was opened. They took over the MCG this year, and also operate Melbourne Olympic Parks (except AAMI Park) for a while now.

The food/bev outlets were barely coping with a 19k crowd today, and the concourse is even worse, it is way too narrow for a 53k stadium
That's a reflection of what they chose to open. Even if they opened all outlets and staffed them properly, you'll have a line at the bar from an hour before until 3QT for any crowd above 40k, and even worse above 45k. 100% right about the concourses, everything is as small as they can get away with, same as the outlets.

It looks terrible for day games when the sun causes massive shadows. This is a smart decision
It should never be open - the sun causes havoc for TV viewing and if you're at the game in the wrong part of the stands
I don't get why this is a problem for Marvel but not literally every other ground in the country which don't have roofs.

I personally much prefer the daytime aesthetic and have never had a problem tracking the play in day games, but that might just be me.

I don't get why this is a problem for Marvel but not literally every other ground in the country which don't have roofs.

I personally much prefer the daytime aesthetic and have never had a problem tracking the play in day games, but that might just be me.
Built wrong way. Orientation
6D498068-F5FC-4C0B-B264-D19C099044A1.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Built wrong way. Orientation
View attachment 1639245
Also the location/height of the opening is a lot further over the playing surface so its receiving less ambient light or something. Either way on sunny days it creates really harsh shadow lines that make it hard to visually transition over both live and on tv.

At nights or overcast days it can be great with the roof open

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the attendants at the gates when you scan your tickets can see the ticket type?

Purely an intellectual question - I haven't been to the Docklands since pre-COVID but I know at the G someone could hypothetically use a child's ticket to get in and nobody would know.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the attendants at the gates when you scan your tickets can see the ticket type?

Purely an intellectual question - I haven't been to the Docklands since pre-COVID but I know at the G someone could hypothetically use a child's ticket to get in and nobody would know.
Yea they can, whether they care is a whole other issue...

Yes.

The gates/ticket readers now have a big bright light on top.
Even the MCG at gate 7 have the same gates now

How AFL’s vision for Marvel Stadium could boost Docklands HeraldSun 10/10/2023

Marvel Stadium is set to be opened up to the water and land around the Melbourne Observation Wheel and Central Pier revamped to make Docklands more attractive to tourists, residents and workers.

If the AFL and city council have their way, a new waterside hotel, function centres, restaurants, cafes and bars would be built in the area.

The AFL has detailed long-term plans to make its Docklands stadium the centre of a precinct packed with potential but gripped by long-term growing pains.

While current Marvel Stadium upgrades focused on amenity upgrades on the east and south of the stadium, including rooftop bars and function rooms, AFL executive Kylie Rogers said it was only the start of plans to make it a seven-day venue.
1696882598330-png.6007248

“The final piece of the puzzle, of course, is north and west,’’ she said.

“What are we doing with Harbour Esplanade?

“How do we make sure that the city meets the water?

“What are we doing from a community perspective?

“We have some preliminary plans that we’re are working through the government at the moment so we are a fair way off actually finalising those and then getting a funding program to ensure we can kick those off.’’

While the stadium had previously been “closed off and inwardly focused’’, she said the league was now trying to open it out so the community could enjoy the facility and water’s edge.

If approved, she said big ticket changes would benefit the precinct, not just the stadium.

“That’s 1500-person function rooms, that’s foods courts, residential – that’s potentially a hotel,’’ she said.

“There is a lot there we are considering but we are not close to finalising those plans.

“That closes the grand vision of city meets the water.’’

The derelict Melbourne Star observation wheel – closed in September 2021 – and Central Pier – shut by Development Victoria in early 2020 due to safety concerns – could also be brought back to life for future generations to enjoy thanks to their unique proximity to the city, water and public transport.

Lord Mayor Sally Capp said a redeveloped Central Pier would “become a focal point for Melbourne’’.

“A hub for hospitality, entertainment and retail with the potential to create 3,800 jobs and generate more than $770m for the local economy,’’ she said.

“We’ll continue to work with the state government and a range of other stakeholders to support this significant precinct-shaping project as it comes to life.”

She said the council would “love to see the Melbourne Observation Wheel back in action, establishing Docklands as an entertainment hub for visitors and families – with shopping, cinemas, bowling lanes, an ice-skating rink and a brewery all just a short stroll away.”

She said the stadium, wheel and pier revamps could change the face of the city.

“The future of Docklands is bright, and we’re excited for its growth as more people choose to live, work and play in this stunning waterfront neighbourhood,’’ she said.

-HUN

Attachments

• 1696909735243.gif
    1696909735243.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 87
  • 1696909735192.gif
    1696909735192.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 87
  • 1696909735276.gif
    1696909735276.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 61
  • 1696909735292.gif