Docklands Stadium (Marvel Stadium) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Does the footprint represent the AFLs ownership ?

The stadium grounds do, plus a few other bits under the deal

Digressing do you know if the deal done with Daniel Grollo eventuated?
See Grocon paying AFL c$67m for site abutting Marvel Stadium

Yes.

Daniel Grollo’s build-to-rent business has taken a big step forward after Melbourne’s city council voted to recommend a $230 million two-tower project right next to Marvel Stadium in the Docklands precinct.

In June last year, Mr Grollo’s GFM Investment Group, which is effectively a fund manager, swooped on the prime site next to the popular sports arena in a $67.1 million deal. Although the AFL itself ultimately controlled the site, it was set to be developed into a residential project by Chinese developer AZX Group, through a subsidiary, Australia Xing Six Holding.

I saw this today if anybody would be kind enough to post it. I'm interested to see if it includes a hotel that the AFL have been talking about for years.
I shouldn’t laugh but how many high rises to they want around marvel stadium surely it’s getting to the point that it’s that hidden away tourists will have trouble finding it

I shouldn’t laugh but how many high rises to they want around marvel stadium surely it’s getting to the point that it’s that hidden away tourists will have trouble finding it
They ruined the entrance and the ambience to the stadium when entering from Southern Cross when they built the hideous NAB building.

Last edited:
They ruined the entrance and the ambience to the stadium when entering from Southern Cross when they built the hideous NAB building. Also created a bottleneck for fans.
Doesn't help that they scrapped the Bourke St - Collins St link that was meant to be built with the redeveloped Southern Cross Station to spread the crowds out a bit more

Doesn't help that they scrapped the Bourke St - Collins St link that was meant to be built with the redeveloped Southern Cross Station to spread the crowds out a bit more

They needed to link the city with docklands better full stop. There should be roads or paths going from every CBD street over southern cross station into the docklands precinct. It's why the area is a ghost town half the time.

They ruined the entrance and the ambience to the stadium when entering from Southern Cross when they built the hideous NAB building. Also created a bottleneck for fans.
Agree the building is awful but you're totally wrong about the bottleneck. Used to be a horrendous bottleneck around gate 3 before they built the walkway in front of the NAB building.

It doubled the amount of walkway from above Warundjeri Way to the stadium by adding an extra path towards the city wing. How could that possibly create a bottleneck?

Would never happen, but they need to deck the railway line between marvel stadium and spencer, bourke and la trobe. I'd go as far as saying demolish the old DFO too.

Then make the deck into a public park and build a pub in the middle like what they have at Perth (the Cam). Would look great.

1705710540478.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would never happen, but they need to deck the railway line between marvel stadium and spencer, bourke and la trobe. I'd go as far as saying demolish the old DFO too.

Then make the deck into a public park and build a pub in the middle like what they have at Perth (the Cam). Would look great.

View attachment 1889736

Yep would be expensive but if they wanna invigorate docklands it needs to be connected to the CBD. I would have thought common sense when the docklands precinct was opened for development.

It can't happen on account of V/Line train stabling in the railmotor yard

It can't happen on account of V/Line train stabling in the railmotor yard
There is some stabling still east of La trobe st, however the main workshops are west and the majority of stabling now occurs in the out regions (Geelong, Wyndham Vale, Melton etc) because they need the sets to run into Melbourne in the morning peak.

There is some stabling still east of La trobe st, however the main workshops are west and the majority of stabling now occurs in the out regions (Geelong, Wyndham Vale, Melton etc) because they need the sets to run into Melbourne in the morning peak.
Not all of it. V/Line are chronically short of parking space as is. The old retired H cars are having to be stored in Echuca.

MARVEL STADIUM LAUNCHES THE SUPER-STORE

Marvel Stadium has today announced the opening of Australia’s newest fan haven - the Super-Store, an exciting collaboration between the AFL and Marvel.

Whether you're a footy fanatic, Marvel aficionado or both, The Super-Store at Marvel Stadium has it all.

Conveniently located at the Gate 5 entrance of Marvel Stadium, the Super-Store is the place for AFL enthusiasts. Gear up for the footy season with AFL supporter wear including guernseys, tees, hoodies, and caps for every member of the family. For the ultimate fan collection, you'll also be able to discover unique bobbleheads, giftware, and other products that celebrate the spirit of the AFL.

But that's not all, the Super-Store at Marvel Stadium is also the only dedicated Marvel store in Australia, offering an immersion in superhero fandom. There are a broad range of Marvel products available, such as adult and children’s apparel, toys, action figures and accessories featuring favourites like Captain America and Iron Man. Fans can also expect exclusive product drops – including Marvel apparel that will only be available at the Super-Store.
ADKq_NYe0Kll4eQPfyi5k322vzUQcEg0BKUYacPxXw5zVEP-nTfly3bgBrapm3ZV55fj2_vEvZbDs1PI3V31Lv-jOAoI7MgFLXqBOYGdKaCZKpb3pLoA2fajr-hBObAsMLTL-XNxPvxrUwKoGy1UF5BnzkOJgnpYTpubmLL2WNv9Lv8=s0-d-e1-ft
The Super-Store is your one-stop-shop for AFL and Marvel fandom.

Store Hours and Location:

Open Monday to Friday from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM plus event days with extended hours.
Closed on non-event weekends
Located at Gate 5

ABOUT THE STORE

The Super-Store
Superheroes and Footy Fans, unite!
Discover the unprecedented merging of fandoms at our exclusive Super-Store, where The AFL Store and Marvel join forces for a thrilling blend of sports and superhero fandom. Stay connected to every game moment with our family-centric design, featuring wrap-around screens and a meticulously crafted environment for visitors of all ages. Immerse yourself in the unique fusion of AFL & Marvel brands with a collection of merchandise catering to fans of both worlds.

For the Footy Fan
The AFL Store is thrilled to expand our presence to the Marvel Stadium and offer the AFL fans all their essential gear on game day. The Super-Store will offer a wide range of AFL products, whilst providing an exceptional and unforgettable shopping experience.
You can expect all the official merchandise you love, including guernseys, scarves, headwear, footballs and exclusive AFL items.
Your team, your store.

For the Marvel Enthusiasts
The only Marvel dedicated store in Australia, the Super-Store at Marvel Stadium is your place to be immersed in superhero fandom. From Iron Man to Hulk and everything in between, this is the destination you have been waiting for.

Offering a broad range of Marvel products, stocking official adults and children’s apparel, toys, action figures and accessories featuring franchise favourites like Captain America and Spider-Man.
There will be exclusive merchandise drops that you can only get at the Super-Store at Marvel Stadium.

I went today for the North Melbourne vs Fremantle Game.

Gate 2/3 feature "The View" bar serving full strength in a glass like the old EJ whitten bar.
Around Gate 5 the new bars and food outlets are open on Level 2 and Level 3. it appears they have done away with ticket scanning to get into Level 2 on the public side to allow people to access the new pizza and souvlaki shop. Two bars exist either side serving beer out of a plastic cup. I assume this will be the case for a night game. L2 has glass towards the city side and plenty of seating along with screens each side of the lifts

On L3 there is now two new food places and two new bars and an outdoor terrace. Also served in plastic cups.

Escalators also take people from L1 to L3 via a change in L2.

I went today for the North Melbourne vs Fremantle Game.

Gate 2/3 feature "The View" bar serving full strength in a glass like the old EJ whitten bar.
Around Gate 5 the new bars and food outlets are open on Level 2 and Level 3. it appears they have done away with ticket scanning to get into Level 2 on the public side to allow people to access the new pizza and souvlaki shop. Two bars exist either side serving beer out of a plastic cup. I assume this will be the case for a night game. L2 has glass towards the city side and plenty of seating along with screens each side of the lifts

On L3 there is now two new food places and two new bars and an outdoor terrace. Also served in plastic cups.

Escalators also take people from L1 to L3 via a change in L2.

yes but are the overall changes better or worse

yes but are the overall changes better or worse
Gate 5 is better by far. More open and the extra escalators and lifts help. Gate 2/3 is about the same as before just more modern.

The bars and food on the gate 5 side will certainly be a popular place to meet up. L2 has lots of seating and is also a very large open space. The L3 terrace is also big with not as much seating.

Both levels now have an open space facing the ground for standing room which I suspect will also be popular in busy games.

"The View" bar on L2 will basically return to being like the EJ Whitten Bar in terms of popularity I feel.

Actually entering the ground isn't much different to last year. People have been used to how Gates 2/3 and 5 have been run.

Overall the place is better.

I continue to be disappointed - the roof policy sucks on a nice day (despite the glare) and there are still long queues at Gates 2/3 and 1. I stand corrected, but there are no longer any TAB facilities (particularly like the old Locker Room bar). They used to come in handy particularly if wanting to watch a race at the footy and have a cheeky bet.

Let's hope the MCG keeps them.

I continue to be disappointed - the roof policy sucks on a nice day (despite the glare) and there are still long queues at Gates 2/3 and 1. I stand corrected, but there are no longer any TAB facilities (particularly like the old Locker Room bar). They used to come in handy particularly if wanting to watch a race at the footy and have a cheeky bet.

Let's hope the MCG keeps them.
You are correct about no TAB facilities at Marvel Stadium.

The venue has become cash-free so a TAB outlet is no longer viable. You now have to use a card for all purchases at Marvel Stadium - food, drink, merchandise, even the Footy Record.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back