FTA-TV Doctor Who

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don't care.

However have you got an actual reason why the Doctor cannot be female? We get you don't like it. But have you got an actual argument why this is besides all this name calling.

I have no reason why the Doctor cannot be female. Do you have a reason why the Doctor shouldn't be Sontaran? Or turn into a Cyberman? Or any of a host of alien species shown on the show?

i kind of get the outcry, it has nothing to do with gender specific problems per se, it's just that you don't make certain characters women and visa versa, you don't make certain female characters as men just for the sake of making an equality political statement, you don't make characters that have been written in for decades as comic books and folklore. I mean you can, but don't be surprised is some people get annoyed by it or just see it as a marketing ploy..

It's like you don't make the ninja turtles that way, you can, but people won't like it...

Same with female specific characters that are famous, you don't give men their parts for the sake of it, especially if the story has been around for decades and decades and is something that has been written about in such a huge way...

Precisely.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Chibnall and show runner and Whittaker as the new Doctor can bring to the table. I thought that while Capaldi is an excellent Doctor (but then again I also think that Tennant is wildly overrated and would actually place him fourth of the four actors to have played the role since the show was revived under Davies), the stories he was given were either rubbish or so convoluted that the liberal use of deus ex machina was needed to neatly resolve the stories.

I grew up in the 80s watching Doctor Who and so had to mainly suffer through John Nathan-Turner, Sylvester McCoy and Bonnie Langford destroy Doctor Who in the late 80s. Anything is better than any stories involving them.

I'm not going to lie, I keep fluctuating by thinking it will be a good appointment to getting pissed off at anyone who calls people sexist or misogynistic, etc. for not liking the appointment which makes me not like the appointment either because of how stupidly people are reacting.

I have no reason why the Doctor cannot be female. Do you have a reason why the Doctor shouldn't be Sontaran? Or turn into a Cyberman? Or any of a host of alien species shown on the show?
Hasn't this come up before?

I don't have an issue with Dr Who being a woman but now there's talk of a female James Bond GTFOH

As to why he can't be any other random alien? Quite possibly, not sure.

Because he/she's a Time Lord. He/she can regenerate into a whole new Time Lord, but not an Ice Warrior or Sontaran.

It just so happens that humans look like Time Lords from the outside, but that's about it.

Intergender regeneration is obviously now possible, but not interspecies. If he was to regenerate into a Ice Warrior or whatever, what happens when he needs to regenerate again? Ice Warriors etc, don't regenerate.

Because he/she's a Time Lord. He/she can regenerate into a whole new Time Lord, but not an Ice Warrior or Sontaran.

It just so happens that humans look like Time Lords from the outside, but that's about it.

Intergender regeneration is obviously now possible, but not interspecies. If he was to regenerate into a Ice Warrior or whatever, what happens when he needs to regenerate again? Ice Warriors etc, don't regenerate.
He would still have time lord genetics.

Why not regenerate into a child then?

I'm aware it's about social agenda, and the empowerment of subjugated groups of people. That doesn't mean we should start the next season with the TARDIS changed into a giant love heart or have every episode solved with the bad guys saying sorry and being absolved of their crimes.

Yes yes yes, the Cybermen are now Cyberpersons.

It's all unraveling.

The only one projecting here are the people who are desperately craving female empowerment in any and all forms no matter how unnecessary.

And you hate being considered sexist and misogynistic for not accepting a female Doctor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And you hate being considered sexist and misogynistic for not accepting a female Doctor.
Because it's for reasons other than being unable to handle powerful, leading female roles. I loved river song and Clara despite so many hating both. It is possible to want a character to remain true to its roots without being misogynistic. Shockingly.

The argument comes down to this ....why did they make The Doctor female?

Gender politics? An attempt to reinvigorate the series?

I have a feeling it's gender politics and if this is the case it will kill the series.
Why cant it be about both?

Do I think its about gender politics? Possibly but I dont really care.

Do I think it will re-invigorate the series? For the 1st 2 episodes yes, but if the writing is ordinary or fails then it wont matter what gender politics come into play

Because it's for reasons other than being unable to handle powerful, leading female roles. I loved river song and Clara despite so many hating both. It is possible to want a character to remain true to its roots without being misogynistic. Shockingly.
Who on here has said they crave female empowerment in any and all forms however unnecessary? You seem to fail to see the irony. You're decrying exactly the same sort of attitude you are displaying.

So if the Doctor encounters Susan again in his/her travels does Susan call the doctor Grandmother instead of Grandfather ?

So if the Doctor encounters Susan again in his/her travels does Susan call the doctor Grandmother instead of Grandfather ?
I wonder if this was in Rivers Blue Book

It does affect previous storylines that have specific gender roles but I am sure they will ignore them or find a work around.

I really liked McCoy, and Ace. Some of the stories were s**t, but McCoy was probably second to Tom as my favourite classic Doctor.
giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back