Conspiracy Theory Does the afl try to manufacture narratives?

Does the AFL try to manufacture narratives?

• Yes

Votes: 215 77.6%
  • No

Votes: 62 22.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course they do. I don't think they rig games, but I would think it's pretty clear that they favour certain teams in their own media. From a business perspective, you can hardly blame them. Its in the AFL's best interest if certain, larger teams achieve success.

The debate is though - should they be running a business? Or a sporting competition?

Obviously they're doing the former, but should they be transparent about it?

My theory is that they'd snared Ryan Griffin and the AFL knew that that was just taking the piss. So they intervened.

What gives you that thought? I cant see anyway they would have even possibly got Griffen.
The whole ban thing was in relation to the Buddy move.

What? no of course they don't, ever year will have a good story because something good happens every year whether it's a player who had a hard child hood and wins a brownlow or, like we'll see this weekend two clubs with large premiership droughts will fight it out to break it the media then just plays these stories up because that's what they are payed to do

I'm just saying The AFL are always trying to keep the code as front page news.
Even in the off season as the Soccer season is in full swing.
A Richmond flag would be a dream come true for them.

I never said anything about North.
The AFL love fairytale stories and the stats don't lie about the Dogs umpiring last year.
Only taken 'the umps' 35 years to get us into a GF.

Only taken 'the umps' 35 years to get us into a GF.

Well no one ever accused them of being good at their job. ;)

Richmond have clearly not been umpires pets this season like the Dogs were last year, but the fear is as the fairytale story gains momentum the umps get sucked in. There was some pretty dubious umpiring in their favour in the prelim at times, and I'm expecting Adelaide to get no favours from the umps tomorrow.

Grand finals have *usually* been pretty well umpired in the past, but last year well and truly disabused us of that notion. It was a disgraceful display of umpiring that clearly wasn't neutral in any shape or form (and I say that as someone who was barracking for the Dogs), so people are rightfully cynical at the moment.

Last edited:
I reckon a higher power than the AFL has a narrative to bring the AFL to it's knees with everyone always whining about everything, that higher power being the NRL (obviously). I wonder what their forums are like*?

*I don't really

Well no one ever accused them of being good at their job. ;)

Richmond have clearly not been umpires pets this season like the Dogs were last year, but the fear is as the fairytale story gains momentum the umps get sucked in. There was some pretty dubious umpiring in their favour in the prelim at times, and I'm expecting Adelaide to get no favours from the umps tomorrow.

Grand finals have traditionally been pretty well umpired, but last year well and truly disabused us of that notion. It was a disgraceful display of umpiring that clearly wasn't neutral in any shape or form, so people are rightfully cynical at the moment.
I think it'll actually go the other way, with the AFL and umps trying to show people they aren't biased against 'interstate' teams, given all the endless whining..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serious? When we complain about umpiring it's not an excuse

Yet when we are leading the free kick count it's what's keeping us in it... some bitter Richmond haters here.
Not a Richmond hater at all.

I've lived here for 20 years and am on board.

I'm a 'contrived result' hater.

And like last year, this smells funny.

The umpiring has been fine. And if you seriously think that the AFL instruct the umpires to favour one side or the other then why are you even bothering to still follow the sport?

If you want to see an example of the way the AFL manufacture a narrative then look no further than Jobe Watson being in the same car as Scott Thompson and thus ensuring he'd get a big cheer. That's how they manufacture a narrative. Suggesting they actively instruct umpires to be corrupt is just crazy talk, though.

The umpiring has been fine. And if you seriously think that the AFL instruct the umpires to favour one side or the other then why are you even bothering to still follow the sport?

If you want to see an example of the way the AFL manufacture a narrative then look no further than Jobe Watson being in the same car as Scott Thompson and thus ensuring he'd get a big cheer. That's how they manufacture a narrative. Suggesting they actively instruct umpires to be corrupt is just crazy talk, though.

Did you watch the GF last year? Blatant cheating by the umpires to get the Dogs the win and strangely enough these umps are back!!

Back