Game Day Dogs V Roos Ikon Park 4/3 1.10pm Road To Glory Begins

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, but neither will Bont, Libba or Jack. At least if they are still in the team in 3 years they will be shadows of what they are now.

What we need to draft FAST (and probably trade for) are replacements for those 3. People forget that the vast majorities of star players still take 2 or 3 years to become stars.

As for a 2nd tall defender, yes we need that. But hopefully we can develop one from the middle of the draft or Croft Jnr can come along.
Surely this is a pisstake?
The Bont an Macrae finished in 3 years?
Thats a big yeah nah from me
Btw the Libba family history is they play on longer than most

I think we can still expect Bont and Macrae to be pretty handy aged 30/31. Libba is 30 now and has never looked better. I could see him playing at 33 if he’s still enjoying the game.

It’s really quite sad to see great players come to the end of their careers but these lads have got a bit of life in them yet.
A big yeah yeah for your post MT

Seems to me that's par for the course for Lobb throughout his career.
Except for last year the best of his career under difficult circumstances
Wedont need him dominating we need him to take the pressure off Naughton Marra Darcy and Tim n the ruck
A brilliant bit of targeted recruiting IMO

That’s exactly where you want a player with Darcy’s attributes.

Playing a sole half fwd game limits his minutes exposed to the contest, as opposed to a split between Fwd and Ruck where he can impact across the whole ground.

He’s 10kg’s and some experience away from tearing teams apart. He’s got all the tools to be a better player than Gawn, Grundy, Cox but with a fwd half game similar to a genuine KPF.

It won’t happen any time soon, but he’ll become a multi positional player eventually, dominating the comp. Which he is more than capable of doing.
Nailed it CB

I was for the Lobb trade, even if only as injury insurance. That would be pretty expensive insurance I suppose, but as the list was constructed any sort of LTI for Naughton or English would’ve been a challenge.

It looks fairly likely that Darcy will play that role in the coming years, but he can develop across the back line or forward line now and pinch hit in the ruck without having to go up against the big guys consistently.

And like a few others have said, Lobb is doing his job if he’s taking a big defender away from Naughton and JUH and enabling them to get better matchups and get a few goals. Some weeks the other two will demand more attention and Lobb will end up with a third KPD and then we’re laughing. Or rotate him through the ruck and rest English forward. There are quite a few possibilities there.

There may be a reality check coming against the dees, and it’s a fairly brutal run of games in the first 5-6 weeks. Maybe the forward line ends up being too tall and the ball walks out of there a bit too much. But for now I think we can be optimistic that at least we could be a decent team to watch this year, and give some of the better teams some headaches.
There is a reality check coming in the Dees game but it won’t be for us

Kind of ironic that this off season we traded out a guy who when he had the ball would so regularly (and frustratingly) lob it into our forwardline, and then brought a Lobb into our forwardline.
Not sure if you saw Lobb play last year but definitely against us it was his hard leading as much as anything that impressed
And you know why Hunter was traded and it wasn’t footy related

JJ and Westy as the 2 small forwards would be my two picks to be at the feet of Naughty, JUH, Lobb and Darcy with instructions for West to tackle and smash everything that moves.

Naughty and JUH are handy on the ground themselves. That is a delicious forward line even if Weightman misses the game.

Jason Johannisen the Norm Smith medallist will be right to play

From what I was able to see of him in the VFL TV coverage last year Darcy already had very good tap skills and positioning when rucking. I guess we shouldn't be surprised at that but it means he doesn't have to learn a whole lot of those skills late in his development like Timmy had to do.

I'd have no problems with us playing him in the ruck if that's where he was needed.

Probably just needs size to play considerable minutes playing the 2nd ruck role. But yeah, could handle it in short spurts.

The club would be pretty happy having Lobb around for a couple of seasons. Darc can just ease in to his career without too much pressure or expectation. Play minutes wherever is required without overdoing it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you can mark, read the ball and kick beautifully like he does, you don’t park your giant Ferrari in the spot reserved for a Ford Ranger.
Actually, the Ford Ranger has just been announced as Drive Car of The Year from all categories. How about Toyota Hilux?

I chose the Ford Ranger because the ruck is an important position and should be filled by a very good player, just not a top 3 in your team player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back