Game Day Dogs V Roos Ikon Park 4/3 1.10pm Road To Glory Begins

Remove this Banner Ad

My biggest take away from this post (putting the great analysis to one side) is that you managed to sneak in a golf game, PLUS in the same day you jettisoned the family off for a lovely night on the couch watching the doggies with beer and pizza in hand.

What’s your secret? Where can I sign up to one of your workshops?
cost me $200 bucks to send the darts and kids out....
golf is cheap, if anyone lives around the peninsula and wants a game PM me

2nd ruck/KPF is the hardest role in the game. Lobb is a significant upgrade on a mix on Cordy/Schache/Khamis playing that role and there's likely only a small few better in the league

Can't argue with the upgrade comment.

2nd ruck/KPF is the hardest role in the game. Lobb is a significant upgrade on a mix on Cordy/Schache/Khamis playing that role and there's likely only a small few better in the league

Yeah, Hawkins is a better forward but there's a reason why he only takes forward 50 ruck contests.

Grundy/Gawn are better rucks but I'm not really convinced that either of them can influence games when not the main ruck, Gawn is great at moving across CHB to drop into the hole and Grundy is great around the ground but Grundy has never struck me as a natural in the forward line. Gawn is better when rotated forward but you don't want to take away his ability to drop into the hole.

I would say that Lobb is currently the best 2nd Ruck/KPF in the game. Jackson may become better in time, maybe even this year but currently it’s Lobb. Our Darcy may become better than both but that is years into the future.
Grundy and Gawn are not KPF style players. Gawn is better as the 7th defender who drops back to cover the defence. Grundy is good at providing linking play. Neither can play as well at KPF as Lobb.

It’s not often you get a mature KPF and mature KPD in the one offseason. We should count our blessings.

Nope. Unheard of before now.

For a very brief time in the '70s we had the likes of Quinlan and Templeton with other talls like Dempsey, Welsh, Round, Sandilands, Hampshire and a not quite so tall Salmon and Stoneham on our list but it wasn't for long, even with Beasley arriving soon after. If we could have held that lot together we might have seen something comparable. (Oh and if we could have held onto Fred Cook too ... I think he arrived in 1967 roughly the same year as Dempsey).
We went into 1975 with:
Ruckmen - Gary Dempsey, Barry Round
Key Backs - Gary Merrington, Neil Sachse, Ian Salmon
Key Forwards - Kelvin Templeton, Greg Parke, Peter Welsh
Both ends - Bernie Quinlan, Laurie Sandilands

Sachse had his accident in round 2 and Peter Welsh did his knee early on, too.

Every one of them were gone by the end of 78 except Templeton, and we know how that turned out.

We went into 1975 with:
Ruckmen - Gary Dempsey, Barry Round
Key Backs - Gary Merrington, Neil Sachse, Ian Salmon
Key Forwards - Kelvin Templeton, Greg Parke, Peter Welsh
Both ends - Bernie Quinlan, Laurie Sandilands

Sachse had his accident in round 2 and Peter Welsh did his knee early on, too.

Every one of them were gone by the end of 78 except Templeton, and we know how that turned out.

What’s amazing there is that we have 4 future Brownlow medalists amongst that lot.

Brownlow medals are hardly ever won by KPPs or ruckman these days.

We had the best country zone recruiting area and all of the old WDFL back then as well as Willy, Sunshine and Yarraville. it’s amazing how in competent the club was in the 70s.

I would say that Lobb is currently the best 2nd Ruck/KPF in the game. Jackson may become better in time, maybe even this year but currently it’s Lobb. Our Darcy may become better than both but that is years into the future.
Grundy and Gawn are not KPF style players. Gawn is better as the 7th defender who drops back to cover the defence. Grundy is good at providing linking play. Neither can play as well at KPF as Lobb.

It’s not often you get a mature KPF and mature KPD in the one offseason. We should count our blessings.

We did it end of 2019 too, with Bruce and Keath.

I was arguing this point last year when we were linked to him. He’s average (read: middle of the pack) as a ruck, and average as a KPF, but this combines for one of the best second ruck/KPF in the game. Plenty are better at one thing or the other, but there’s very few players who are competent at both. This is massive for us structurally

I was arguing this point last year when we were linked to him. He’s average (read: middle of the pack) as a ruck, and average as a KPF, but this combines for one of the best second ruck/KPF in the game. Plenty are better at one thing or the other, but there’s very few players who are competent at both. This is massive for us structurally

I was for the Lobb trade, even if only as injury insurance. That would be pretty expensive insurance I suppose, but as the list was constructed any sort of LTI for Naughton or English would’ve been a challenge.

It looks fairly likely that Darcy will play that role in the coming years, but he can develop across the back line or forward line now and pinch hit in the ruck without having to go up against the big guys consistently.

And like a few others have said, Lobb is doing his job if he’s taking a big defender away from Naughton and JUH and enabling them to get better matchups and get a few goals. Some weeks the other two will demand more attention and Lobb will end up with a third KPD and then we’re laughing. Or rotate him through the ruck and rest English forward. There are quite a few possibilities there.

There may be a reality check coming against the dees, and it’s a fairly brutal run of games in the first 5-6 weeks. Maybe the forward line ends up being too tall and the ball walks out of there a bit too much. But for now I think we can be optimistic that at least we could be a decent team to watch this year, and give some of the better teams some headaches.

As long as Flea stays down to crumb, and doesn’t spoil the big boys, I think we will be ok. I suspect we will see the other Jones boy debut this year.

Flea can’t jump on Darcy or Lobb’s heads. It’s just too high…. So, instead he will be forced to crumb.

This is one of the many reasons to play Darcy…. Aside from forcing the other team to defend a 4 pronged monster, the fifth part will be forced to crumb and be super dangerous at ground level.

I liked what I saw from young Jones. He worked hard and got in some great spots. He should be playing IF Weightman or Clarke aren’t. Even IF they are, forcing the other team to account for 2 fast smalls, while having to defend our 4 talls; makes defensive planning difficult.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flea can’t jump on Darcy or Lobb’s heads. It’s just too high…. So, instead he will be forced to crumb.

This is one of the many reasons to play Darcy…. Aside from forcing the other team to defend a 4 pronged monster, the fifth part will be forced to crumb and be super dangerous at ground level.

I liked what I saw from young Jones. He worked hard and got in some great spots. He should be playing IF Weightman or Clarke aren’t. Even IF they are, forcing the other team to account for 2 fast smalls, while having to defend our 4 talls; makes defensive planning difficult.

Liam Jones was that standout and exactly what we have been missing. Bruce and Keath were ok. I would love to have Khamis and his athletic ability down back as well. I would go two talls in defence and Khamis as the 3rd defender who can run off his opponent.

Will be a big step up against the Dees who by all reports are flying. The talls guys look great yet we will need to dominate around the middle to win it.

I know Lobb didn’t set the world on fire and some were even a little disappointed with his output however from my vantage point at the ground his work rate was top shelf. He offered numerous leads mostly for no reward often dragging Makay with him. I thought our disposal to him at times was woeful and when he pushed up around the 40 mtr mark we just overlooked or didn’t see him? His ruck work was solid imo and his field kicking creative. Structurally him and Jones offer so much and from a development standpoint for Darcy/Marra & Busslinger/Gardner etc.

Liam Jones was that standout and exactly what we have been missing. Bruce and Keath were ok. I would love to have Khamis and his athletic ability down back as well. I would go two talls in defence and Khamis as the 3rd defender who can run off his opponent.

Will be a big step up against the Dees who by all reports are flying. The talls guys look great yet we will need to dominate around the middle to win it.
One huge benefit of having Liam Jones in defence (and perhaps also a revitalised Alex Keath) is we should be far less susceptible to a run of goals like those we have experienced since the 2021 GF.

If Power and Bevo reviewed all our losses over the last 2 years I reckon they would have identified those run-ons as a critical shortcoming and one that would stand between us and another GF appearance.

Getting Liam back may turn out to be a masterstroke. Don't underestimate how important this change will be for us.

Nah, Weightmans first instinct is always to fly for the ball. He gives zero *s if its with smalls, talls or any giraffes that happen to be passing by.

Although he can, he's not really one for waiting at the feet of the pack for a ground ball.

He's a small tall and reminds me a lot of Brad Johnson in that regard.

Our inability to defend the F50 to D50 transitions was embarrassing.

If we can't see that we are in for a rude awakening.

Last edited:
Nah, Weightmans first instinct is always to fly for the ball. He gives zero *s if its with smalls, talls or any giraffes that happen to be passing by.

Although he can, he's not really one for waiting at the feet of the pack for a ground ball.

He's certainly got the grin for it. :D

He always thinks he can do it, and often he can! No self-doubt in Cody.

I know Lobb didn’t set the world on fire and some were even a little disappointed with his output however from my vantage point at the ground his work rate was top shelf. He offered numerous leads mostly for no reward often dragging Makay with him. I thought our disposal to him at times was woeful and when he pushed up around the 40 mtr mark we just overlooked or didn’t see him? His ruck work was solid imo and his field kicking creative. Structurally him and Jones offer so much and from a development standpoint for Darcy/Marra & Busslinger/Gardner etc.

JUH copped it sometimes last season, but so many times he was also being burnt by teammates when he was on an open lead. Baker did it to Lobb badly in about the 3rd quarter I think it was, it ended in a goal to someone, but still! I watched him a bit and he was typically always on the move, which is what we lack a lot.

JUH copped it sometimes last season, but so many times he was also being burnt by teammates when he was on an open lead. Baker did it to Lobb badly in about the 3rd quarter I think it was, it ended in a goal to someone, but still! I watched him a bit and he was typically always on the move, which is what we lack a lot.
Lobb also got burnt by McLean at one point

Remove this Banner Ad

Back