Game Day Dogs V Roos Ikon Park 4/3 1.10pm Road To Glory Begins

Remove this Banner Ad

The dogs have to try to draft another running mate for Buss, because we can have a 5-10 prime years of contending with The Bont, libbbbba, jack,Astro and JUH.
Love jonsey and Keathy, but they won't be there in 3 years.

Agree, we need to draft another key defender to develop alongside Busslinger.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

While I don't think he's terrible defensively, I really don't think he has the natural defensive instincts to play that role. I thought it became more obvious when he was matched up against Cameron.

Vandermeer should be developed into the small defender role.
Christ. He doesn’t have the brain for it. If Oskar Baker is a headless chook then VDM is a fully digested chicken dinner.

Stick him in the VFL and see how he goes. He should be given absolutely no more chances to develop at AFL level as far as I’m concerned.

After shooting a 76 off the stick today at golf I sent Mrs Shacf out with the kids and sat down with a pizza and corona and watched the game replayed tonight.

Overall not a bad hit out today but there were some things I noticed that still concern me.

Nth Still kicked 85 points against us which is still a little bit of a worry. However, those that think it's our backline are wrong. Lots of their goals came from the over lapping through the middle of the ground which I put down to our midfields defensive mindset not being on.

I dont know about everyone else but I was slightly disappointed with LOBB today. I thought he ran under the ball quite a bit up forward and sometimes looked a little lethargic. I will give him the benefit of the doubt as it's first up but I did expect more. Though I understand his presence creates opportunities for naughty, Jamarra and Darcy.

I thought McRae was great with the ball today kicking inside 50 but it really worries me about his physical presence around the ball at centre bounces. When matched up against Cunnington his physical output was ordinary at times. I know he is an elite runner but his physicality can be questioned at times around the ball. I don't mean in terms of putting his head over the ball I'm talking about his desire to smother, tackle and scrap.

Josh Bruce was a liability down back at times. Worth a chance but I cannot see it working. Keath is an average kick at the best of times and Josh is worse. Liability to have them both in the backline in my opinion though with gardener out we might not have a choice.

I thought Oscar baker was ok, he won't be a star but he does run and try and break lines which is something hunter wasn't doing with us. Though he will probably kill it at the dees because he isn't being mothered. Hunter is a better footballer overall than Oscar but for our team I think Oscars attributes might be better. Those criticising Scott... why? I thought he played well, he did fade out of it in the end but he worked hard and stuck to his limitations.

Bont was great as usual and looks bigger in the back and shoulder this year, though he did butcher it bit going forward trying to spear the ball low and hard.

Bailey Smith, racks them up but there is something lacking and I dont know what... like the kid but I expect more from him.

McClean, a little disappointed to be honest and hope he lifts. Liam Jones... well done!

Charlie Cameron destroyed him last year, with 4 goals and five direct goal assists. I don't want him anywhere near the back line.

I like him on the wing and up forward though.
What you say is correct, however the issue was not one with Scott. It was with the coaching panel being slow top make a move.

He isn't the first and certainly won't be the last player that Charlie Cameron tears a new arse. He's as difficult as any play in the competition to stop when he's on an absolute tear.

Anyways. Scott is an absolute lock on one of the wings.

Whilst Im here. I would like to publicly retract all of the horrible things Ive said in here about Liam Jones over the past 15 years.

I was a little underwhelmed by English today. More so his centre bounce work. Was hoping he would start getting his hands on alot more hitouts.

I know due to our midfield personal we were still dominate in there, but gee I would love to see our midfield play with a dominant ruck.

I was a little underwhelmed by English today. More so his centre bounce work. Was hoping he would start getting his hands on alot more hitouts.

I know due to our midfield personal we were still dominate in there, but gee I would love to see our midfield play with a dominant ruck.
I thought Tim was ok today, he had a few clearances himself... iw as more disappointed with LOBB In the ruck

I'll take the second half team from today minus Scott and A Jones (altho he did some nice things) for Richards and Weightman into round 1. Some blokes will be missing out, which is a healthy thing.

LJizz is exactly what we need. Close to BOG today. Libba still the engine room.

This year's draft we need to be looking to bring in future A grade midfielders. Nothing to be worried about right now tho.
Scott was amazing in that first half. How could you leave him out after that?

Come on Ledge. You can’t deny West probably should be in the starting 22 ahead of most others. Even Bont.

I’d go as far as saying Bont should hand over his captaincy. West just has that leadership quality. Short, quick and the son of a club legend.

It’s a travesty that Bevo selects players over West. I’m starting a GoFund me page. Once we hit $1000, I’m getting a truck of mamure delivered to Whitten Oval.

Then we’ll head over to the GG’s residence and demand they throw the clubs coaching group out and install the West family members across all roles.
BF would be a good source for the manure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not really a Hannan fan and can't fully account for what Bev sees in him, but saying he has zero defensive intent is unfair. There is more to defence than tackling. His off the ball defence is consistently excellent and he works very hard both ways.

The key advantage Hannan has over other wings/outside players on our list is that he provides a good contest overhead without sacrificing running power and defensive work rate. This means he's always going to be in the mix when our list isn't exactly flush with those types - even if his actual execution is often lacking.
Agree 💯 to say he has no defensive intent is nonsense it’s probably his strongest point. As it turned out he didn’t play anyway but the point remains

No one is talking about possessions here. I’m referring to Hannan not even going near the play. West tackles ferociously, gets from contest to contest, takes marks and kicks goals. Hannan literally does none of that.

Crozier is not questioned as he was an absolute lock in our best 22 as a medium defender for years. He’s had some weird injuries over recent times, especially the incident with his heart. If he finds it again of course we want him in the side.

Hannan has had 25 consistently bad or very bad games for us and just keep getting picked. West has had 3-4 games that are better than Hannan’s best ever game for the club.
West attacks the footy ferociously when it’s in his area it’s his work when it’s not that is the issue

He was clearly just staying in 2nd gear trying to not pull anything or get hit late and miss games due to a practice match

All hail Sammy P, there were many doubters in and out of the club about the acquisition if Jonesy.
Wow.....how good does our backline look know. Its shows the importance of a functional backline, plus we still have darcy to throw down back, or go up the front and take a mark.

Croft as a F/s and develop down back?
Man that would be awesome, his dad was such a stand up dude, and built like a brick sh!t house. How is young croft filling out?
Buss can be intercepting defender, but we'll need that defender that can play one on one with the gorillas

Some nuffy from Freo will surely look at Lobb's stats and say what a dud, but my word he looks to have opened things us for us.
I have already had to abuse some Freo idiots on Twitter. I get they are bitter just as we would be but to get on another clubs thread to specifically mention his stats is OTT obsessive

Good news on all of those .
And particularly good for Crozier , who to my eye turned the clock back a little in the intra game.
Will be big boost if he can get back to his best.
Yeah I thought he looked good before the injury like the Crozier of old. Only thing that concerns me with him is that in recent years he has not come back well from injuries

Remove this Banner Ad

Back