Game Day Dogs V Roos Ikon Park 4/3 1.10pm Road To Glory Begins

Remove this Banner Ad

Think we switched it back a gear in the last quarter yesterday (consciously or sub consciously). We had good contributions across the board, though some posters are lamenting the fact that English, Lobb, Williams, McLean were a little quiet ?

All of the above have had strong pre seasons and would of been focused on just getting through the game. Not sure wing is McLeans best spot and prefer him HF / onball.

Great news that the injury concerns are nothing major and everyone should be available round 1 apart from Gardner and VDM. I think Flea plays round 1 if fit, even without a serious praccy game. Maybe sub ?

The Demons look super slick and are relatively full strength too, but we will field a strong team and look to be on the right path. Should be a rippa round 1 game.

I’ve been a fan of Williams from day one, and when he looked like he was coming of age in 2021 I was puffing my chest out. But he’s regressed and I don’t know if it’s the legacy of a bad GF but he hasn’t looked the same player since.

I’ll probably always back him in, but it’s difficult to argue he’ll be best 22/23 going forward if he can’t find some improvement in the coming weeks.
Same
He does appear to have gone backwards

Nope. Unheard of before now.

For a very brief time in the '70s we had the likes of Quinlan and Templeton with other talls like Dempsey, Welsh, Round, Sandilands, Hampshire and a not quite so tall Salmon and Stoneham on our list but it wasn't for long, even with Beasley arriving soon after. If we could have held that lot together we might have seen something comparable. (Oh and if we could have held onto Fred Cook too ... I think he arrived in 1967 roughly the same year as Dempsey).
Your forgetting the best No 2 ever for the club Shane Loveless !!!

Here's my take on the game:

Bulldogs Unleash 'Scary' Structure

If one club stood out during the final week of preseason matches, it was the Western Bulldogs, who fired an ominous warning shot that has the competition quivering. Luke Beveridge's troops look set to challenge conventional structure with a giant four-pronged forward-line that has the Bulldog Army salivating.

A new-look 'Four-headed Monster' set-up of Aaron Naughton, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Rory Lobb and Sam Darcy combined for ten goals against the hapless Kangaroos at Ikon Park on Saturday, in a supreme display. Whitten Oval is suddenly spoilt with an arsenal of aerial weaponry, as the Dogs prepare for an exciting season ahead.

Ugle-Hagan's boxing regime over summer appears to be paying dividends, as the former number-one draft pick's running capacity has increased significantly, enabling him to present at more contests, where his agility and class netted him three goals and his hand in several others. In a starring role, he collected seven marks and found separation from his opponents with ease.

The Bulldog coaching hierarchy would be delighted with the intent of Naughton, with their spearhead nailing tackles and applying the forward pressure often missing in 2022. His presence in the air and willingness to crash packs, while kicking four goals of his own, will no doubt cause headaches for opponents this season.

Darcy continues to defy his four-game infancy, clunking contested marks and rising like an out-stretched praying mantis above packs. He finished with two goals, effortlessly hitting targets on both sides of his body with the grace and ease of his father, who wore a satisfied grin as he watched on from the back of the Legend's Stand. Lobb, although quieter, contributed a goal and critical support to Tim English in the ruck, with his penetrating kicking a constant threat.

Bulldog utility Anthony Scott acknowledged the forward line structure "has a different look than it has in the past". Scott who kicked three goals himself, while splitting his time between wing and half forward said that the tall structure, "is going to be a pretty scary proposition...if you're an opposition coach moving the magnets when you come against us on the weekend, it's going to be pretty scary."

At the other end of the ground, Liam Jones completed a best on ground performance with 12 marks, nine of which were intercepts from the Kangaroos forward thrusts. Backline coach Rohan Smith described his performance as 'brilliant', as the veteran completed the final dress rehearsal in his spirited return to the kennel. "He was terrific today. He read the cues of the kicker really well, he comes forward and he's always looking to help out a teammate. Jones was ably supported by a trim and effective Alex Keath, while a transformed Josh Bruce looked at home in defence, to lock in a round one spot in the absence of injured Ryan Gardiner.

While the Bulldog bookends impressed, it was the engine room's ferocity and clearance dominance that put the Kangaroos to the sword. Tom Liberatore (33 possessions, two goals, eight tackles) was prolific, hunting ball and player like a hungry hyena, while Jack Macrae (33 possessions, eight marks) accumulated touches at will. Skipper Marcus Bontempelli (27 possessions, 616 metres gained) was at his silky best, launching two goals and connecting seamlessly with his teammates in a powerful display.

Bailey Smith (30 possessions), showcased his strength in the clinches, adding a hardened edge to compliment his outside dash, which will please supporters concerned about the loss of Josh Dunkley to Brisbane. Adam Treloar (30 possessions) was precise by hand and foot, rounding off an embarrassment of riches in the midfield, as the Dogs eye off September action. Oscar Baker (22 possessions) was inserted into the game early and capitalised with the opening goal. His run and carry was a feature and will do his chances of facing his old team no harm when the team list is called out for Round One.

Arthur Jones was another who seized his opportunity, threading two classy goals and adding zest, speed and spunk to a jewel-studded squad. Bailey Dale (31 possessions, 670 metres gained) built as the game progressed along with Caleb Daniel who were able to use their trademark directional changes, vision and elite kicking to punish the Roos on turnover.

Rhylee West scored a late goal and will need to continue to build his continuity after an interrupted preseason, while Bailey Williams, Toby McLean and English were all serviceable.

While the Bulldogs had some injury concerns with Taylor Duryea (neck), Ed Richards (corked thigh) and Hayden Crozier (dislocated finder), all are expected to be available for round one, with the former having his scans clearing him of any damage to his neck. Cody Weightman was rested ahead of the season opener against the Demons but will play, while Jason Johannisen returned from his injury with a starring performance in the VFL, which also puts him in the frame for selection. Buku Khamis scored three goals and Riley Garcia continued his strong off-season, to keep his name in the mix also. Let the season begin.

Goals: Naughton 4, Ugle-Hagan 3, Scott 3, Darcy 2, Bontempelli 2, Liberatore 2, Darcy 2, A. Jones 2, Lobb 1, Baker 1, Treloar 1, West 1.

Best: L. Jones, Liberatore, Bontempelli, B. Smith, Ugle-Hagan, Macrae, Scott, Dale, Treloar, Naughton

Gonna really hurt our chances of picking up Ben McKay if Naughty removes his head
Based on current form, we may no longer be interested.

After shooting a 76 off the stick today at golf I sent Mrs Shacf out with the kids and sat down with a pizza and corona and watched the game replayed tonight.

Overall not a bad hit out today but there were some things I noticed that still concern me.

Nth Still kicked 85 points against us which is still a little bit of a worry. However, those that think it's our backline are wrong. Lots of their goals came from the over lapping through the middle of the ground which I put down to our midfields defensive mindset not being on.

I dont know about everyone else but I was slightly disappointed with LOBB today. I thought he ran under the ball quite a bit up forward and sometimes looked a little lethargic. I will give him the benefit of the doubt as it's first up but I did expect more. Though I understand his presence creates opportunities for naughty, Jamarra and Darcy.

I thought McRae was great with the ball today kicking inside 50 but it really worries me about his physical presence around the ball at centre bounces. When matched up against Cunnington his physical output was ordinary at times. I know he is an elite runner but his physicality can be questioned at times around the ball. I don't mean in terms of putting his head over the ball I'm talking about his desire to smother, tackle and scrap.

Josh Bruce was a liability down back at times. Worth a chance but I cannot see it working. Keath is an average kick at the best of times and Josh is worse. Liability to have them both in the backline in my opinion though with gardener out we might not have a choice.

I thought Oscar baker was ok, he won't be a star but he does run and try and break lines which is something hunter wasn't doing with us. Though he will probably kill it at the dees because he isn't being mothered. Hunter is a better footballer overall than Oscar but for our team I think Oscars attributes might be better. Those criticising Scott... why? I thought he played well, he did fade out of it in the end but he worked hard and stuck to his limitations.

Bont was great as usual and looks bigger in the back and shoulder this year, though he did butcher it bit going forward trying to spear the ball low and hard.

Bailey Smith, racks them up but there is something lacking and I dont know what... like the kid but I expect more from him.

McClean, a little disappointed to be honest and hope he lifts. Liam Jones... well done!

My biggest take away from this post (putting the great analysis to one side) is that you managed to sneak in a golf game, PLUS in the same day you jettisoned the family off for a lovely night on the couch watching the doggies with beer and pizza in hand.

What’s your secret? Where can I sign up to one of your workshops?

The dogs have to try to draft another running mate for Buss, because we can have a 5-10 prime years of contending with The Bont, libbbbba, jack,Astro and JUH.
Love jonsey and Keathy, but they won't be there in 3 years.

Sorry, but neither will Bont, Libba or Jack. At least if they are still in the team in 3 years they will be shadows of what they are now.

What we need to draft FAST (and probably trade for) are replacements for those 3. People forget that the vast majorities of star players still take 2 or 3 years to become stars.

As for a 2nd tall defender, yes we need that. But hopefully we can develop one from the middle of the draft or Croft Jnr can come along.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, but neither will Bont, Libba or Jack. At least if they are still in the team in 3 years they will be shadows of what they are now.

What we need to draft FAST (and probably trade for) are replacements for those 3. People forget that the vast majorities of star players still take 2 or 3 years to become stars.

As for a 2nd tall defender, yes we need that. But hopefully we can develop one from the middle of the draft or Croft Jnr can come along.
I think we can still expect Bont and Macrae to be pretty handy aged 30/31. Libba is 30 now and has never looked better. I could see him playing at 33 if he’s still enjoying the game.

It’s really quite sad to see great players come to the end of their careers but these lads have got a bit of life in them yet.

Agree with the sentiment and this is the main reason why Dunkley leaving is disappointing. In 3 years when these guys are dropping off, he’ll still be around his prime.

Need to use our 2 1st rounders this year on midfield replacements

I know it's only a practice match, but hopefully seeing this new look team, and the forward line showing that at least some of the hype is justified at this very early stage, will encourage people to at least think about buying a membership this year. Does anybody know what the current tally is?

I know it's only a practice match, but hopefully seeing this new look team, and the forward line showing that at least some of the hype is justified at this very early stage, will encourage people to at least think about buying a membership this year. Does anybody know what the current tally is?
I’ve heard that it’s about the same level as it was last year, so on track for 50k again.

55k-60k not out of the question if we finish top 4.

Open the cheque book for the below Hugh McCluggage | AFL

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

After shooting a 76 off the stick today at golf I sent Mrs Shacf out with the kids and sat down with a pizza and corona and watched the game replayed tonight.

Overall not a bad hit out today but there were some things I noticed that still concern me.

Nth Still kicked 85 points against us which is still a little bit of a worry. However, those that think it's our backline are wrong. Lots of their goals came from the over lapping through the middle of the ground which I put down to our midfields defensive mindset not being on.

I dont know about everyone else but I was slightly disappointed with LOBB today. I thought he ran under the ball quite a bit up forward and sometimes looked a little lethargic. I will give him the benefit of the doubt as it's first up but I did expect more. Though I understand his presence creates opportunities for naughty, Jamarra and Darcy.

I thought McRae was great with the ball today kicking inside 50 but it really worries me about his physical presence around the ball at centre bounces. When matched up against Cunnington his physical output was ordinary at times. I know he is an elite runner but his physicality can be questioned at times around the ball. I don't mean in terms of putting his head over the ball I'm talking about his desire to smother, tackle and scrap.

Josh Bruce was a liability down back at times. Worth a chance but I cannot see it working. Keath is an average kick at the best of times and Josh is worse. Liability to have them both in the backline in my opinion though with gardener out we might not have a choice.

I thought Oscar baker was ok, he won't be a star but he does run and try and break lines which is something hunter wasn't doing with us. Though he will probably kill it at the dees because he isn't being mothered. Hunter is a better footballer overall than Oscar but for our team I think Oscars attributes might be better. Those criticising Scott... why? I thought he played well, he did fade out of it in the end but he worked hard and stuck to his limitations.

Bont was great as usual and looks bigger in the back and shoulder this year, though he did butcher it bit going forward trying to spear the ball low and hard.

Bailey Smith, racks them up but there is something lacking and I dont know what... like the kid but I expect more from him.

McClean, a little disappointed to be honest and hope he lifts. Liam Jones... well done!
Seems to me that's par for the course for Lobb throughout his career.

Lobb was fine made an contest and kept his defender busy Naughty and JUH kicked a bag each for a reason

North's defence are still developing, they have a way to go.

Hope I'm wrong, but that's always been my impression of him, except in round 21 last year 🤪
Maybe lackadaisical is a better description of how I've always seen him.

Here's my take on the game:

Bulldogs Unleash 'Scary' Structure​

If one club stood out during the final week of preseason matches, it was the Western Bulldogs, who fired an ominous warning shot that has the competition quivering. Luke Beveridge's troops look set to challenge conventional structure with a giant four-pronged forward-line that has the Bulldog Army salivating.

A new-look 'Four-headed Monster' set-up of Aaron Naughton, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Rory Lobb and Sam Darcy combined for ten goals against the hapless Kangaroos at Ikon Park on Saturday, in a supreme display. Whitten Oval is suddenly spoilt with an arsenal of aerial weaponry, as the Dogs prepare for an exciting season ahead.

Ugle-Hagan's boxing regime over summer appears to be paying dividends, as the former number-one draft pick's running capacity has increased significantly, enabling him to present at more contests, where his agility and class netted him three goals and his hand in several others. In a starring role, he collected seven marks and found separation from his opponents with ease.

The Bulldog coaching hierarchy would be delighted with the intent of Naughton, with their spearhead nailing tackles and applying the forward pressure often missing in 2022. His presence in the air and willingness to crash packs, while kicking four goals of his own, will no doubt cause headaches for opponents this season.

Darcy continues to defy his four-game infancy, clunking contested marks and rising like an out-stretched praying mantis above packs. He finished with two goals, effortlessly hitting targets on both sides of his body with the grace and ease of his father, who wore a satisfied grin as he watched on from the back of the Legend's Stand. Lobb, although quieter, contributed a goal and critical support to Tim English in the ruck, with his penetrating kicking a constant threat.

Bulldog utility Anthony Scott acknowledged the forward line structure "has a different look than it has in the past". Scott who kicked three goals himself, while splitting his time between wing and half forward said that the tall structure, "is going to be a pretty scary proposition...if you're an opposition coach moving the magnets when you come against us on the weekend, it's going to be pretty scary."

At the other end of the ground, Liam Jones completed a best on ground performance with 12 marks, nine of which were intercepts from the Kangaroos forward thrusts. Backline coach Rohan Smith described his performance as 'brilliant', as the veteran completed the final dress rehearsal in his spirited return to the kennel. "He was terrific today. He read the cues of the kicker really well, he comes forward and he's always looking to help out a teammate. Jones was ably supported by a trim and effective Alex Keath, while a transformed Josh Bruce looked at home in defence, to lock in a round one spot in the absence of injured Ryan Gardiner.

While the Bulldog bookends impressed, it was the engine room's ferocity and clearance dominance that put the Kangaroos to the sword. Tom Liberatore (33 possessions, two goals, eight tackles) was prolific, hunting ball and player like a hungry hyena, while Jack Macrae (33 possessions, eight marks) accumulated touches at will. Skipper Marcus Bontempelli (27 possessions, 616 metres gained) was at his silky best, launching two goals and connecting seamlessly with his teammates in a powerful display.

Bailey Smith (30 possessions), showcased his strength in the clinches, adding a hardened edge to compliment his outside dash, which will please supporters concerned about the loss of Josh Dunkley to Brisbane. Adam Treloar (30 possessions) was precise by hand and foot, rounding off an embarrassment of riches in the midfield, as the Dogs eye off September action. Oscar Baker (22 possessions) was inserted into the game early and capitalised with the opening goal. His run and carry was a feature and will do his chances of facing his old team no harm when the team list is called out for Round One.

Arthur Jones was another who seized his opportunity, threading two classy goals and adding zest, speed and spunk to a jewel-studded squad. Bailey Dale (31 possessions, 670 metres gained) built as the game progressed along with Caleb Daniel who were able to use their trademark directional changes, vision and elite kicking to punish the Roos on turnover.

Rhylee West scored a late goal and will need to continue to build his continuity after an interrupted preseason, while Bailey Williams, Toby McLean and English were all serviceable.

While the Bulldogs had some injury concerns with Taylor Duryea (neck), Ed Richards (corked thigh) and Hayden Crozier (dislocated finder), all are expected to be available for round one, with the former having his scans clearing him of any damage to his neck. Cody Weightman was rested ahead of the season opener against the Demons but will play, while Jason Johannisen returned from his injury with a starring performance in the VFL, which also puts him in the frame for selection. Buku Khamis scored three goals and Riley Garcia continued his strong off-season, to keep his name in the mix also. Let the season begin.

Goals: Naughton 4, Ugle-Hagan 3, Scott 3, Darcy 2, Bontempelli 2, Liberatore 2, Darcy 2, A. Jones 2, Lobb 1, Baker 1, Treloar 1, West 1.

Best: L. Jones, Liberatore, Bontempelli, B. Smith, Ugle-Hagan, Macrae, Scott, Dale, Treloar, Naughton
So triple premierships it is 😀

Remove this Banner Ad

Back