Don't want, (or need) to start a new thread - still want to post it though

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys - wasn't sure where to post this. Recently moved to Melbourne and looking into a membership - is the social club a good move? Or should I just grab a general admission and save myself a little bit of coin! Cheers in advance!

Hi guys - wasn't sure where to post this. Recently moved to Melbourne and looking into a membership - is the social club a good move? Or should I just grab a general admission and save myself a little bit of coin! Cheers in advance!

If you want your own seat and a dedicated Collingwood bar/area then it definitely is worth it.

Get on the AFL Membership waiting list, best deal in town

If you are after the best deal in town then go for B J's option.........if you want to sit with Collingwood supporters and give back to the Club you love then the Social Club membership is the way to go.

Get on the AFL Membership waiting list, best deal in town

If you are after the best deal in town then go for B J's option.........if you want to sit with Collingwood supporters and give back to the Club you love then the Social Club membership is the way to go.
Or be like me and do both.

As sympathetic as i feel for someone who is so low to contemplate ending it all, I was glad to read Patrick Smith tell it like it is rather than the bulltish articles that have been written so far about Hird.

As sympathetic as i feel for someone who is so low to contemplate ending it all, I was glad to read Patrick Smith tell it like it is rather than the bulltish articles that have been written so far about Hird.
I'm not a Hird or Essendon sympathiser and believe that there were massive failings at Essendon in 2012, but to me that article seems to be ill thought out.

Just because Hird chose to take the path of fighting for his belief of innocence for the players and himself, which undoubtably would have added to his stress doesn't remove the role the AFL and media played. The two aren't mutually exclusive and from the outside there seems to have been an agenda against Hird especially after Hird had served his ban.

Whether Patrick Smith's article is factual, telling it like it is or not, (depending on ones thoughts) it still read to me to be very nasty, condescending and inappropriate in timing.
Then again, Smith has never come across as being a decent sort of person with high emotional intelligence.
But that's my read only, ofcourse

Speaking of persons who do not come across as decent or caring ie all the good qualities.
Mike Fitzpatrick is one I'd not put in the nice person category.
Each to their own.

Whether Patrick Smith's article is factual, telling it like it is or not, (depending on ones thoughts) it still read to me to be very nasty, condescending and inappropriate in timing.
Then again, Smith has never come across as being a decent sort of person with high emotional intelligence.
But that's my read only, ofcourse
Don't recall you posting in such a tone before, fair to say Smith isn't on your christmas card list? He strikes me as someone who likes to be polarising and different in his opinion to generate debate and clicks.

Don't recall you posting in such a tone before, fair to say Smith isn't on your christmas card list? He strikes me as someone who likes to be polarising and different in his opinion to generate debate and clicks.
Can't say he's on any list of mine. I try to be even handed, and said it depends on ones point of view etc.
But he just does not strike me as a nice person, rather mean.
He can write well, but too nasty for my liking.

Not sure, but he strikes me as someone who fell out of love with the game and sport. Then again unsure if he was ever in love with it. Too surly for my taste.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serious question..
How poor is the standard of our cfc website? Updates are either delayed.. or news filters through like a day or 2 later before they update the site.. I mean for a professional club to have a website that lags is ridiculous. And it appears to look the same yr in yr out.

I'm not a Hird or Essendon sympathiser and believe that there were massive failings at Essendon in 2012, but to me that article seems to be ill thought out.

Just because Hird chose to take the path of fighting for his belief of innocence for the players and himself, which undoubtably would have added to his stress doesn't remove the role the AFL and media played. The two aren't mutually exclusive and from the outside there seems to have been an agenda against Hird especially after Hird had served his ban.
I dont think its about fighting for his belief of innocence. It has more to do with the fact that most moved on /stood themselves down while it was investigated. Hird took a million, extended his contract and had study leave overseas paid for. It takes a certain level of arrogance to do that when you are in the gun of an investigation.
Its why he was treated differently to others that distanced themselves whilst the investigation / ASADA process took place. I cant accept whining about being treated differently when in fact you have acted differently.

Not sure, but he strikes me as someone who fell out of love with the game and sport. Then again unsure if he was ever in love with it. Too surly for my taste.

Well said Saintly! Where's the love, Patrick? Such a surly, sour figure. Will quickly gloss over the good stuff so he can harp on about everything that's wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want yet another AFL lap dog but at some point you have to remember that this is a game and it's supposed to be fun.

Mike Sheahan springs to mind. Had his flaws to be sure, but always expressed a love and enthusiasm for the game. Still does on his little show on Fox.

Well said Saintly! Where's the love, Patrick? Such a surly, sour figure. Will quickly gloss over the good stuff so he can harp on about everything that's wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want yet another AFL lap dog but at some point you have to remember that this is a game and it's supposed to be fun.

Mike Sheahan springs to mind. Had his flaws to be sure, but always expressed a love and enthusiasm for the game. Still does on his little show on Fox.
Perfectly said Dynamcs

:thumbsu:

I dont think its about fighting for his belief of innocence. It has more to do with the fact that most moved on /stood themselves down while it was investigated. Hird took a million, extended his contract and had study leave overseas paid for. It takes a certain level of arrogance to do that when you are in the gun of an investigation.
Its why he was treated differently to others that distanced themselves whilst the investigation / ASADA process took place. I cant accept whining about being treated differently when in fact you have acted differently.
By all means the media needs to report things as they are, but nowadays media figures often report their own perspectives as fact rather than as an opinion. The actions and paths taken by Hird doesn't mean there's the right to treat him differently and any reporting or treatment should never get personal or become unfair. There's no doubt for mine that those two lines have at times been crossed especially after his ban had ended.

The article by Smith crosses those lines especially given the current timing and Hird's health. I didn't like how he effectively infers that Hird orchestrated his hospital admission as some kind of PR stunt. Mental health is a strange beast and more thought needed to go into that article.

More connected people than I have expressed similar about how Hird has been treated. Liam Pickering made the following comments on SEN just a day or 2 before Smith's article.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/fo...t/news-story/a632b43a64fcd8e7f9537bbe64133f49
Liam Pickering said:
“Some of the stuff that’s been said (about Hird) has been disgusting. It’s sad, he’s a legend of the game and it’s sad.

“Push the bloke to the depths then try and bring him back up again. Why push him down to begin with? It’s disgusting.”

“He (Hird) was part of what was wrong. It wasn’t him that did it all, there were other people involved.

“Getting the story is what it’s all about isn’t it? It doesn’t matter what the consequences are for the people involved. You just write the story, write down whatever you want … there’s no recourse. Just write what you want, say what you want and then all care, no responsibility for where it all leads.

“No question (we need to have more empathy). People seem to get off in laying the boot into people. It’s easy to do and it’s cheap and it’s nasty.”

And Danny Corcoran's views from the same article
Danny Corcoran said:
“I walked out of that ICU unit and just felt the total despair of how systemic bullying and harassment of a person had caused him to fall into such a dire state,”

“I started to notice little things about him being erratic and angry. He couldn’t see anything positive about life after his treatment.”

I've been exploring a deviant art site (nothing deviant about that). And when I entered 'Collingwood' some interesting stuff came up, including (the not very interesting) Collingwood in Ontario.

But some good if wacky art work out there on the Pies.
hey dont knock it to much, my daughter is on it and meet her boyfriend from new york on it.

By all means the media needs to report things as they are, but nowadays media figures often report their own perspectives as fact rather than as an opinion. The actions and paths taken by Hird doesn't mean there's the right to treat him differently and any reporting or treatment should never get personal or become unfair. There's no doubt for mine that those two lines have at times been crossed especially after his ban had ended.

The article by Smith crosses those lines especially given the current timing and Hird's health. I didn't like how he effectively infers that Hird orchestrated his hospital admission as some kind of PR stunt. Mental health is a strange beast and more thought needed to go into that article.

More connected people than I have expressed similar about how Hird has been treated. Liam Pickering made the following comments on SEN just a day or 2 before Smith's article.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/fo...t/news-story/a632b43a64fcd8e7f9537bbe64133f49

Hirdy was all ok with his wife's doorstep interviews, the Hun piece with his kids.

Hird, unwittingly/stupidly swallowed his own golden boy image.

Friends of Hird will and should back him. I disagree with them and agree with Smith. He isnt the victim- most of the players are.

Lap dog comment interesting in light of a point of view below I'd read simply because it was well liked. Not sure on rules on quoting opposition posters so here is the link https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/james-hird-taken-to-hospital.1155736/page-24#post-48438351

Red text is what was posted, disclaimer at bottom is mine (skip to 5th paragraph starting with Look if you don't wish to read it all)
"stunned by the Smith article. Stunned.

Seriously, wtf? Despite appearing to think the issue's he's going through are entirely about the saga (which is an assumption and a simplistic one at that), he actively uses it as an excuse to re-prosecute the case against Hird, thus doubling down on the behaviour he believes caused the issue! That in itself is just mind-blowing.

I am not remotely surprised BigFooty posters and other denizen's of the cyber-great unwashed are acting like this, but I am genuinely surprised that someone in the "serious" press would be doing it. And what staggers me, is that despite all of his (many) flaws, the one thing I thought you could say positive about Smith was that he appeared to have a fairly well-honed sense of compassion. In that, he is always agitating to protect players from head high contact, to protect horses from whips etc.

Yet here we have an apparent suicide attempt, and what is his response? To declare it is actually all Hird's own fault, with a few mealy-mouthed disclaimers around how we should be sympathetic: platitudes he then demolishes with the other 95% of his poisonous scribble.

Look, I am always one to be suspicious of overarching and simplistic declarations of a conspiracy theory nature, such as "Phatprick is nothing more than a shill and mouthpiece of the AFL!!". But it is IMPOSSIBLE to overlook the fact that after weeks of silence from the AFL this nasty piece of work has been released immediately following the Corcoran accusations against Fitzpatrick and the AFL. You cannot see this as anything other than a proxy return fire by the AFL; and it has extremely distasteful echoes of the behaviour and actions of the AFL during the nasty and grubby Great PR War of 2013, which saw disgusting scenes such as the retaliation for the AFL360 AOD revelations by way of the next-day release/leak of the Charge Sheet, which included amongst other wonderful things the personal medical details of Hird, and later proven incorrect personal accusations of a most viscous and nasty type. Not to even mention the breath-taking "Sarah" episode.

The fact that Smith and presumably the AFL by proxy are perfectly happy to use this desperately sad episode as yet another political football to try to drive their agenda is rather troubling. I guess the only positive I can make out of it is that they must feel somewhat threatened by changing winds and the sudden outbreak of sympathy for Hird that has made many in the public re-evaluate their views on the way this has been managed by all parties, and the consequences that can stem from such an asymmetric and inappropriately over-the-top response to what was, at the end of the day, merely a sporting matter.

Surely the AFL should be the most desperate party to not have this relentlessly dispiriting saga reignited, and they would have been better served keeping their mouth(piece)s shut? Don't they have mothers who pass on appropriate adages?? It makes me hopeful now that their sense of fear is not misplaced..."

Disclaimers: I haven't personally read the Smith article, I believe Hird guilty of involvement in 2012 drama but am leaning towards the view that he has been targeted more than others who perhaps had more responsibility. Has he done himself any favours in his handling of the matter? - probably not, but the whole thing is just sad. Sad that 2012 happened, sad that investigation dragged on so long, sad that it has contributed to an apparent suicide attempt.

Edit: yes the game should be fun, but it is also a big business with lots of $$ involved which brings egos and politics

Im just a bit concerned regarding Wells

I saw in an article that Nikki Dal a player not wanted by his former club for season 2017 or by our club for that matter as well
is questioning the overall fitness of Daniel and his signing in general.

I just find that concerning a player of his caliber making a judgment and that we may not have made the right move according to Nikki.

should we be worried?

Lap dog comment interesting in light of a point of view below I'd read simply because it was well liked. Not sure on rules on quoting opposition posters so here is the link https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/james-hird-taken-to-hospital.1155736/page-24#post-48438351

Red text is what was posted, disclaimer at bottom is mine (skip to 5th paragraph starting with Look if you don't wish to read it all)

Seriously, wtf? Despite appearing to think the issue's he's going through are entirely about the saga (which is an assumption and a simplistic one at that), he actively uses it as an excuse to re-prosecute the case against Hird, thus doubling down on the behaviour he believes caused the issue! That in itself is just mind-blowing.

I am not remotely surprised BigFooty posters and other denizen's of the cyber-great unwashed are acting like this, but I am genuinely surprised that someone in the "serious" press would be doing it. And what staggers me, is that despite all of his (many) flaws, the one thing I thought you could say positive about Smith was that he appeared to have a fairly well-honed sense of compassion. In that, he is always agitating to protect players from head high contact, to protect horses from whips etc.

Yet here we have an apparent suicide attempt, and what is his response? To declare it is actually all Hird's own fault, with a few mealy-mouthed disclaimers around how we should be sympathetic: platitudes he then demolishes with the other 95% of his poisonous scribble.

Look, I am always one to be suspicious of overarching and simplistic declarations of a conspiracy theory nature, such as "Phatprick is nothing more than a shill and mouthpiece of the AFL!!". But it is IMPOSSIBLE to overlook the fact that after weeks of silence from the AFL this nasty piece of work has been released immediately following the Corcoran accusations against Fitzpatrick and the AFL. You cannot see this as anything other than a proxy return fire by the AFL; and it has extremely distasteful echoes of the behaviour and actions of the AFL during the nasty and grubby Great PR War of 2013, which saw disgusting scenes such as the retaliation for the AFL360 AOD revelations by way of the next-day release/leak of the Charge Sheet, which included amongst other wonderful things the personal medical details of Hird, and later proven incorrect personal accusations of a most viscous and nasty type. Not to even mention the breath-taking "Sarah" episode.

The fact that Smith and presumably the AFL by proxy are perfectly happy to use this desperately sad episode as yet another political football to try to drive their agenda is rather troubling. I guess the only positive I can make out of it is that they must feel somewhat threatened by changing winds and the sudden outbreak of sympathy for Hird that has made many in the public re-evaluate their views on the way this has been managed by all parties, and the consequences that can stem from such an asymmetric and inappropriately over-the-top response to what was, at the end of the day, merely a sporting matter.

Surely the AFL should be the most desperate party to not have this relentlessly dispiriting saga reignited, and they would have been better served keeping their mouth(piece)s shut? Don't they have mothers who pass on appropriate adages?? It makes me hopeful now that their sense of fear is not misplaced..."

Disclaimers: I haven't personally read the Smith article, I believe Hird guilty of involvement in 2012 drama but am leaning towards the view that he has been targeted more than others who perhaps had more responsibility. Has he done himself any favours in his handling of the matter? - probably not, but the whole thing is just sad. Sad that 2012 happened, sad that investigation dragged on so long, sad that it has contributed to an apparent suicide attempt.

Edit: yes the game should be fun, but it is also a big business with lots of $$ involved which brings egos and politics

I'll sit and read this properly as soon as I can.

First response is that they completely misrepresent it all as just a sporting matter. There were all manner of other issues at play. First and foremost it was a health issue for those players. It also became a significant legal issue, given the lengths Hird went to in what was ultimately a vain attempt to clear his name.

I suppose that, to a degree, Hird WAS Essendon. And he gladly wore that mantle for many years, when the going was good. When this whole mess unfolded and the time came to look for heads (and boy did they come looking for heads) there was no shinier trophy to pop on the mantelpiece than Jim's big eared scone. And he held it up there to be lopped off... There it was in his driveway.

Does that make the media complicit in what happened to him afterwards? It's hard to say yes, because he used them so much and for so long. But really, no one wins in this. There's nothing good here. He's a husband and father and his family needs him. That's what really matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back