Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

waverley - shootout against norf - was there.........stood behind sticks' kick as it sailed through and put us on top with a week's rest.............
Was there as well.
Was lucky enough to be sitting in the VFL members reserve courtesy of my ex brother in law who worked for the VFL

Must have been near me! For some reason was high up in the Kenneth Luke stand, which was not my normal spot at Arctic Park.
Good game to re-watch as I had a bit of a North connection from going to school with Larkin and Holt (also Passmore, Lisle and Crocker - not bad for a shitty FTG college). Hardwick went there as well. Not sure what happened with me...
Always try to work out who missed out on the GF team. I know Evans got suspended so Murphy came in. Why didn't Sartori play in the flag?
Was Sartori even at Carlton in 87. Think he might have come in 1988 ?
I remember our forward line was weird in 87, Maclure retired at end of 86 so Sticks was main key forward in 87 and maybe the others were make shift. Veteran Hunter and Dorotich played in forward line in grand final. Interesting spine actually as Rhys-Jones whom not normally a key position player, played centre half back for day on Dermy as Wallsy wanted that specific match up. Even though we won the grand final, still looks weird to me seeing Dorotich up forward...lol

Yeah, Bernie Evans ,the poor bugger, missed the grand final from suspension. I had a lot of time for Bernie Evans. He deserved to get a premiership medallion but was not to be.

Last edited:
Was Sartori even at Carlton in 87. Think he might have come in 1988 ?
I remember our forward line was weird in 87, Maclure retired at end of 86 so Sticks was main key forward in 87 and maybe the others were make shift. Veteran Hunter and Dorotich played in forward line in grand final. Interesting spine actually as Rhys-Jones whom not normally at key position player, played centre half back for day on Dermy as Wallsy wanted that specific match up. Even though we won the grand final, still looks weird to me seeing Dorotich up forward...lol

Yeah, Bernie Evans ,the poor bugger, missed the grand final from suspension. I had a lot of time for Bernie Evans. He deserved to get a premiership medallion but was not to be.

Sartori definitely there in 87. Kicked 5 in the round 22 game against North. Marked everything that Sticks didn't. Defenders had no idea in that game, even Phil Krakouer was taking contested marks in the goal square.
I guess Warren McKenzie has the medal that is rightfully Sartori's.
Lots of bad luck stories that year. As Peter Dean so eloquently said on the dais. Dessie (English, cancer) Bernie and Motts - with an expletive and a stumble! Loved that. We need some updated versions of dais antics from the current mob!

Sartori definitely there in 87. Kicked 5 in the round 22 game against North. Marked everything that Sticks didn't. Defenders had no idea in that game, even Phil Krakouer was taking contested marks in the goal square.
I guess Warren McKenzie has the medal that is rightfully Sartori's.
Lots of bad luck stories that year. As Peter Dean so eloquently said on the dais. Dessie (English, cancer) Bernie and Motts - with an expletive and a stumble! Loved that. We need some updated versions of dais antics from the current mob!
Yeah, you right about Sartori. I looked up AFL tables and he was playing that year. I was at the semi-final at Waverley Park but do not remember him playing so he must have got injured in the game and not played it out and missed the grand final. Sartori kicked 26 goals when looked it up and young swing man, Silvagni had 24. So look like Dorotich up forward was purely for the grand final due to the Rhys-Jones taking Centre Half Back and SOS, Aitken and Rhy-Jones would have been the talls down back for the game. I assume if Doro did not do enough up forward they probably would have switched Silvagni forward. As it was veteran Kenny Hunter did enough up forward that and Rhys fixed up Dermy it worked a treat even though Dorotich only got one goal himself in the grand final. Shows Doro only kicked 4 for the year. Guess we should give more credit to Wallsy being so versatile in his thinking to back his hunch a temporary change of biggest game of season would work. Rhys-Jones got the Norm Smith Medal.

Was a strange season all round as you reminded with the sad stuff with English and Motts we won the premiership in the end but the journey during the season was really tough emotionally to go through for supporters and even harder on players seeing Motts fight for his life up close and probably most did not think he would live through it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, you right about Sartori. I looked up AFL tables and he way playing that year. I was at the semi-final at Waverley Park but do not remember him playing so he must have got injured in the game and not played it out and missed the grand final. Sartori kicked 26 goals when looked it up and young swing man, Silvagni had 24. So look like Dorotich up forward was purely for the grand final due to the Rhys-Jones taking Centre Half Back and SOS, Aitken and Rhy-Jones would have been the talls down back for the game. I assume if Doro did not do enough up forward they probably would have switched Silvagni forward. As it was veteran Kenny Hunter did enough up forward that and Rhys fixed up Dermy it worked a treat even though Dorotich only got one goal himself in the grand final. Shows Doro only kicked 4 for the year.Guess we should give more credit to Wallsy being so versatile in his thinking to back his hunch a temporary change of biggest game of season would work. Rhys-Jones got the Norm Smith Medal.

Was a strange season all round as you reminded with the sad stuff with English and Motts we won the premiership in the end but the journey during the season was really tough emotionally to go through for supporters and even harder on players seeing Motts fight for his life up close and probably most did not think he would live through it.
And to top it all off 31 degrees on grand final day.

Yeah, you right about Sartori. I looked up AFL tables and he way playing that year. I was at the semi-final at Waverley Park but do not remember him playing so he must have got injured in the game and not played it out and missed the grand final. Sartori kicked 26 goals when looked it up and young swing man, Silvagni had 24. So look like Dorotich up forward was purely for the grand final due to the Rhys-Jones taking Centre Half Back and SOS, Aitken and Rhy-Jones would have been the talls down back for the game. I assume if Doro did not do enough up forward they probably would have switched Silvagni forward. As it was veteran Kenny Hunter did enough up forward that and Rhys fixed up Dermy it worked a treat even though Dorotich only got one goal himself in the grand final. Shows Doro only kicked 4 for the year.Guess we should give more credit to Wallsy being so versatile in his thinking to back his hunch a temporary change of biggest game of season would work. Rhys-Jones got the Norm Smith Medal.

The footy gods didn't like us during the year, but from the moment Sticks took the mark on the siren against North, they were with us.
Who knows what would have happened had he missed. The weeks off proved vital on the hot GF day.
Doro obviously went forward into Sartori's spot. As you said, this allowed Rhys to play on Dermy which is what Walls wanted. McKenzie was the back up tall if things went pear shaped.
Great that Motts got through it, and also great that his girl stuck with him all the way.

fu** em...

Clearly remember Russo trying to chase someone on the wing late in the game. He simply could not run properly. Was absolutely plodding. They should have kept the game going for another 6 quarters for our pleasure.
Also Fraser Murphy kicking one late on the run. The game was over, but Sticks with his index finger indicating to everyone "one more, one more".

We owed Hawks. Played them in twice in each of the 1982, 86 and 87 finals series. Beat them 5 times of those 6.
Pay back for 86 was done but still think most of our thoughts were around Motley and English and playing for likes of them than extracting revenge on Hawks for our poor showing in the grand final of 86.

We owed Hawks. Played them in twice in each of the 1982, 86 and 87 finals series. Beat them 5 times of those 6.
Pay back for 86 was done but still think most of our thoughts were around Motley and English and playing for likes of them than extracting revenge on Hawks for our poor showing in the grand final of 86.

I reckon we were that confident against them in 82 that we tanked the second semi against Richmond. If we'd won that, the Dominator would have missed the GF due to a 2 week suspension against the Hawks in the Qualifying Final.
There is every possibility that without Johnston in the big one, things may have been different.

I reckon we were that confident against them in 82 that we tanked the second semi against Richmond. If we'd won that, the Dominator would have missed the GF due to a 2 week suspension against the Hawks in the Qualifying Final.
There is every possibility that without Johnston in the big one, things may have been different.
Maybe, I think we had more than just Dominator out in the 82 Second Semi. Think there was 2 or 3 important engine room players missing which meant the small man supremacy was not able to be enforced on another top team of the time for that match up. We could have played North in prelim final rather than Hawks if North beat Hawks and I think North still had dangerous team around then and not to be taken lightly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back