Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Once saw a similar photo in the paper or a website. Found it. Did the photo below capture you taking the photo that you posted? Running behind big Nick is Walls, Robertson?, Dickson and Hurst. Its 1972 because Hurst & Robertson did not play in the 73GF.

View attachment 788053
It’s definitely 1972 then. I didn’t take the photo. It was amongst my mum’s possessions. However in this shot I reckon that’s me (well half of my head, behind the guy in the light shirt) in the top left of the photo.

Went onto the ground after the game (like 3,000 others) and we all stood at where he kicked it and just shook our heads. Not only the distance, but it went in at goal post height. Two weeks later against Hawthorn he only needs to score a point and kicks it on the full from 15 metres out. Go figure.

That one point PF loss in 1976 still irks. We were by far the best team in the comp that year and went out in straight sets.

Once saw a similar photo in the paper or a website. Found it. Did the photo below capture you taking the photo that you posted? Running behind big Nick is Walls, Robertson?, Dickson and Hurst. Its 1972 because Hurst & Robertson did not play in the 73GF.

View attachment 788053

Armstrong was the key loss in that game. He got appendicitis a few days before the game. He had been in career best form.

That one point PF loss in 1976 still irks. We were by far the best team in the comp that year and went out in straight sets.

We lost to Hawthorn in wet conditions the previous week in the second semi but I thought we could knock them off on a dry surface (as we did twice that year) in the grand final.
I was a kid at the time who idolised Jesaulenko and was shattered to lose that prelim. Should have won as we had several shots at goal in the last minutes. Could also have easily ended up in a draw which would have had repercussions for Hawthorn who would have faced the dilemma of not playing for 3 weeks.

Last edited:
The 1945 premiership was probably one of the most remarkable seasons in the CFC history.
The war in Europe had ended, but Japan still had to be beaten. People could start to relax a little.
There were 20 Rounds in the Home & Away season for 1945.

After Round 10 the Blues were 4 wins and six losses, and remote chances of playing finals.

Come Round 20 the Blues and Footscray were equal on 48 points and coincidentally were scheduled to play each other at the Western Oval. Earlier in the season the Bulldogs had defeated Carlton by 9 points in Round 9 at Princes Park.
The Bulldogs must have been raging favourites.

Clearly the occasion was too much to ask for the Bulldogs and they meekly succumbed by 53 points.

Carlton then went on to beat Norf in the elimination final, and accounted for Collingwood in the Preliminary Final before taking on South Melbourne in the infamous bloodbath Grand final.

Wikipedia has done a marvellous job in recording the VFL history, by recording every VFL game in every home and away season. Enjoy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1945_VFL_season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 1945 premiership was probably one of the most remarkable seasons in the CFC history.
The war in Europe had ended, but Japan still had to be beaten. People could start to relax a little.
There were 20 Rounds in the Home & Away season for 1945.

After Round 10 the Blues were 4 wins and six losses, and remote chances of playing finals.

Come Round 20 the Blues and Footscray were equal on 48 points and coincidentally were scheduled to play each other at the Western Oval. Earlier in the season the Bulldogs had defeated Carlton by 9 points in Round 9 at Princes Park.
The Bulldogs must have been raging favourites.

Clearly the occasion was too much to ask for the Bulldogs and they meekly succumbed by 53 points.

Carlton then went on to beat Norf in the elimination final, and accounted for Collingwood in the Preliminary Final before taking on South Melbourne in the infamous bloodbath Grand final.

Wikipedia has done a marvellous job in recording the VFL history, by recording every VFL game in every home and away season. Enjoy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1945_VFL_season

1945, yes, is one the most amazing seasons in history when you look it up and how we won a premiership that year that looked very very unlikely at various points.
I do need to pull you up on something historically incorrect. We did not beat North in an Elimination Final. It was a First Semi-Final. Elimination Finals did not begin in history of the league until early 70's when a final five system first came into being.

But getting back to season itself, I'd looked up scores from that season a year or so ago and amazed in a season we won the premiership we lost a game by over 100 points. Not sure how often that happened in our history or league history but will have to remember to look it up some time.

I've always wondered if the turn around in our 1945 season was players returning from Army services after the Wolrd War was over ? I not sure what time of year that happened but has crossed my mind in past.

Just watched the 1979 GF. Was at the game but it still amazes me that we gave the Pies a 5 goal head start and didn’t kick our first till over halfway through the second, then went in ahead at half time.

I was also reminded of the brilliance of our fleet of small players. Armstrong, Buckley, Keogh, Harmes, Marcou, Young, Sheldon, Johnston.

Could we one day be talking about Walsh, SPS, Dow, O'Brien, Cunningham, Curnow, Fisher, Gibbons, Murphy, Philip, Kemp, Ramsay with similar reverence?

It’s a tantalising thought.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just watched the 1979 GF. Was at the game but it still amazes me that we gave the Pies a 5 goal head start and didn’t kick our first till over halfway through the second, then went in ahead at half time.

I was also reminded of the brilliance of our fleet of small players. Armstrong, Buckley, Keogh, Harmes, Marcou, Young, Sheldon, Johnston.

Could we one day be talking about Walsh, SPS, Dow, O'Brien, Cunningham, Curnow, Fisher, Gibbons, Murphy, Philip, Kemp, Ramsay with similar reverence?

Yeah, fun memories we gave Pies a 5 goal head start in the wet and mud that grand final.
Mosquito fleet was amazing trait of that side. Lucky to see it on tv as a kid.
Sheldon kicked over 50 goals that season and was really a rover playing forward pocket for most part. That is the type of player we have to find in our midfield group we drafted so far for this coming decade. Maybe Cuningham is capable of such an achievement.
Certainly in what SOS drafted with Cuningham, SPS, Zac Fisher, Dow, Walsh, Stocker, Kemp, Philp and O'Brien we got plenty of talent to develop for midfield for the 2020's. The supplemental selection pick of Michael Gibbons last summer is very astute as he more in the Cripps age range that we lacked for midfield group.

If one of later picks of Ramsey, Honey or Phillips make it will be a bonus but I suspect the hope is to develop one into a type that can do a Simpson type role but Cottrell could develop there too. The 79 team had a quick small like Wayne Harmes down there. It is the other thing we need to find internally in next few years. Trades such as Setterflield probably equate to getting Phil Maylin as part of midfield group for 81 and 82 back to back premiership teams. Jack Martin can hopefully be as good as a Glascott type that replaced Michael Young in the early 80's of that era. The thing about our mosquito fleet types of 79 to 82 was so many of them could kick goals and why we were so hard to stop then as there was no predictable week to week source for opposition to focus a shut down role too, But the young talent we have now does excite me as much as any group since that large talented array of goal kicking midfielders we had then.

Whilst
1945, yes, is one the most amazing seasons in history when you look it up and how we won a premiership that year that looked very very unlikely at various points.
I do need to pull you up on something historically incorrect. We did not beat North in an Elimination Final. It was a First Semi-Final. Elimination Finals did not begin in history of the league until early 70's when a final five system first came into being.

But getting back to season itself, I'd looked up scores from that season a year or so ago and amazed in a season we won the premiership we lost a game by over 100 points. Not sure how often that happened in our history or league history but will have to remember to look it up some time.

I've always wondered if the turn around in our 1945 season was players returning from Army services after the Wolrd War was over ? I not sure what time of year that happened but has crossed my mind in past.
Neither loss was by 100 points in 1995 the two that we did lose were terrible. The saints kept us to 24 points at Waverley and we were lucky to score at all. Think that we might have had James cook at full forward. It was hard to see how we could win another game for the year. In fact that was our last loss for the year.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I do like your username. Same for me.
Lets get excited about 2020. Bounce the ball FFS.

Whilst
Neither loss was by 100 points in 1995 the two that we did lose were terrible. The saints kept us to 24 points at Waverley and we were lucky to score at all. Think that we might have had James cook at full forward. It was hard to see how we could win another game for the year. In fact that was our last loss for the year.
16 in a row to win premiership in 1995 is very different style of season to the unique 1945 premiership effort.
Love to learn more about 1945 but no one really alive anymore that seen it and can elaborate more on it.
Will have to research it over time as it fascinates me how it looks as a season unfolding that never looked like a premiership was in the making.

Last edited:
16 in a row to win premiership in 1995 is very different style of season to the unique 1945 premiership effort.
Love to learn more about 1945 but no one really alive anymore that seen it and can elaborate more on it.
Will have to research it over time as it fascinates me how it looks as a season unfolding the never looked like a premiership was in the making.
A few reasons as to how we came good that year
Will have to research it over time as it fascinates me how it looks as a season unfolding the never looked like a premiership was in the making.
Look up the name Bob Chitty. Supposedly the toughest bloke to ever play the game. Cleaned out the swans star Ron Clegg. And had the rest of the swans seeking revenge for the rest of the game. Finally they caught up with him (needed 27 stitches around his eye) but went forward to take a strong mark and kick the sealer.
Bob was the sort of bloke that could play Ned Kelly in a feature film and play a game the week after chopping off a finger at work. Hailed from Cudgewa in the north east near Corryong.

View attachment 799187
Got all my Carlton footy cards from the 70’s framed so I will never lose them and they won’t get any more damage
Hoping to do similar with mine. I don't have this many Carlton players though. Not enough of the packets of footy cards I purchased contained Carlton players (always seemed to be plenty of Tiggies players).

Hunt down a copy of the book 'The Bloodbath'. It gives a very good background of that season (& prior seasons), culminating in a detailed narrative of the Grand Final.

A few reasons as to how we came good that year
Look up the name Bob Chitty. Supposedly the toughest bloke to ever play the game. Cleaned out the swans star Ron Clegg. And had the rest of the swans seeking revenge for the rest of the game. Finally they caught up with him (needed 27 stitches around his eye) but went forward to take a strong mark and kick the sealer.
Bob was the sort of bloke that could play Ned Kelly in a feature film and play a game the week after chopping off a finger at work. Hailed from Cudgewa in the north east near Corryong.
I was born in Corryong. We lived on a share farm in Cudgewa.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back