Universal Love Dr Bruce Reid - Essendon Legend, Rest in Peace

Remove this Banner Ad

What a truly sad day this is... to hear Tim Watson on SEN and then Brendan Goddard on Trade radio both break down it really hit home to me what a great Essendon person the Doc was and how much he meant to them !
Just imagine how the players both current and ex would feel not being able to visit Doc in the past 7 months and how lonely it would have been for him in these sad times.
RIP Doc Reid a club legend !

I suppose this is a good a post to reply to.

I am a nobody, just another one in a long line of people good enough to be invited down to an AFL club as a teen, good enough to be there for a few years, but not good enough to play at the top level.

I had broken up with my girlfriend when I was 15/16, and managed to somehow scrape my hand against a wall as it was happening(!). When I turned up to training that night, one of the trainers looked at my hand & said to go & see 'Doc Reid', who I had never met before. When I approached him & showed him my hand, he asked me what happened. I downplayed it & he just looked at me & said gruffly "You punched a wall when you broke up with her, didn't you!". I tried to hide it but he just laughed & said 'come with me'. After treating & wrapping it, he said , "go on, pi$$ off!". A couple of years later, he became my (and the family's) GP, as we lived near his practice. The normal consultation was 5 minutes diagnosis & telling me the treatment, then 10 minutes of footy chat. And each visit would finish with that same phrase: "Go on, pi$$ off!"

I was a particularly injury prone player, so I spent a fair bit of time with him. Psychological support is a massive requirement, and this is one of the areas where he excelled. He helped me through a knee reconstruction, achilles & thumb ops & some even more serious injuries suffered along the way.

More importantly than that, he was a big support when my dad passed away.

Bruce was a bloody good athlete, I think he ran a 2.30 odd marathon, and was still active into his late 60's. He used to beat the entire list around the tan in the time trial - when he was in his early 40's.

One small example of how he could make you feel special: As I mentioned - I was a nobody. But, I was sitting in the waiting room at the Epworth with Bachar Houli, who was still at Essendon at the time. We both kept to ourselves, and when Bruce came out he said 'G'day Bash, do you realise you're sitting with an ex U19's & 2nds Essendon player?'

RIP Bruce.
Great post. Thanks for sharing this.

Sad news.
I've been so used to seeing him at footy games amongst the team at the sidelines, he sure was a recognisable part of the Essendon fabric.
RIP Doc Reid, you sure had a very fulfilling life.

I am a nobody, just another one in a long line of people good enough to be invited down to an AFL club as a teen, good enough to be there for a few years, but not good enough to play at the top level.

I had broken up with my girlfriend when I was 15/16, and managed to somehow scrape my hand against a wall as it was happening(!). When I turned up to training that night, one of the trainers looked at my hand & said to go & see 'Doc Reid', who I had never met before. When I approached him & showed him my hand, he asked me what happened. I downplayed it & he just looked at me & said gruffly "You punched a wall when you broke up with her, didn't you!". I tried to hide it but he just laughed & said 'come with me'. After treating & wrapping it, he said , "go on, pi$$ off!". A couple of years later, he became my (and the family's) GP, as we lived near his practice. The normal consultation was 5 minutes diagnosis & telling me the treatment, then 10 minutes of footy chat. And each visit would finish with that same phrase: "Go on, pi$$ off!"

I was a particularly injury prone player, so I spent a fair bit of time with him. Psychological support is a massive requirement, and this is one of the areas where he excelled. He helped me through a knee reconstruction, achilles & thumb ops & some even more serious injuries suffered along the way.

Bruce was a bloody good athlete, I think he ran a 2.30 odd marathon, and was still active into his late 60's. He used to beat the entire list around the tan in the time trial - when he was in his early 40's.

One small example of how he could make you feel special: As I mentioned - I was a nobody. But, I was sitting in the waiting room at the Epworth with Bachar Houli, who was still at Essendon at the time. We both kept to ourselves, and when Bruce came out he said 'G'day Bash, do you realise you're sitting with an ex U19's & 2nds Essendon player?'

RIP Bruce.

What a great story.
We've lost a great human.

Vale Bruce.

RIP Dr Bruce Reid. Has certainly been an institution and stalwart at Essendon for decades. I can even remember him when he was a very talented, nippy little rover playing for Preston in the 1970’s. He was called Doc Reid even then. He and Peter Weightmann were a formidable duo. Has had a very fulfilling and worthwhile life.

RIP Bruce.
Thanks for sharing mate.

RIP Bruce and thanks for everything. Thoughts with your family.

Now, go on, pi$$ off and have a great after life, maybe you can play with Kind Richard and Coleman.

Cracking fella, used to see him leaning over the balcony at Windy Hill having a sticky beak during VFL games and he’d always get sucked in and start yelling ‘ballllll’.

Huge loss for the footy club

Very sad news. A man of integrity, strength and humor. Was glad that he stood his ground in the saga so that all charges against him were dropped. Will miss seeing him on the bench and knowing that he was there to look after our boys. He always had their backs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MAn what a fantastic guy he was.
Was my missus GP for 25 years, and he would sort her ailments out then have me called in and we would talk footy for the remainder of her appointment.
Always looked forward to the missus getting sick..
RIP Doc

As a supporter of the Bullants since I was 5 or 6 years old, Doc Reid was my all time favourite player at Preston in the early 70s. He was one of the doctors at PANCH who worked on my mum in 73 when she was rushed into the hospital with cervical cancer and had to have a radical hysterectomy. And that's when I met him and got his autograph... like the fan boi I was.

I was stunned when he got diagnosed with mesothelioma because I've had a couple of friends die from it and it was a death sentence.

And now, two years later... I am once again stunned by the news that he has passed. My most sincere condolences go out to his family and friends.

Vale Doc... suffer no more!

My only interaction with Doc Reid was randomly waiting at the lights in the CBD one day. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and also had a $20 note in there which came out with it. I didnt feel it but I got a tap on the shoulder saying "this fell out of your pocket" and Doc handed me my $20 back. I thanked him, then quickly thanked him for his work at the club and he just smiled.

So sad to see him go and hear how much he meant to so many people. His integrity could not be shaken during the ASADA days no matter who in the media tried to throw him under the bus for an article.

RIP Doc.

I met him once at a function, I was drunk as a skunk and probably as annoying as hell, but he gave me the time of day and seemed like an absolute gentleman but also someone with a real sense of humour.

74 is too young.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back