Universal Love Dr Bruce Reid - Essendon Legend, Rest in Peace

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad news. RIP Doc.

Aside from his medical knowledge, can you imagine the psychological support, friendships and paternal attributes he would have provided our injury riddled players? I just hope that players like Mozzie have similar support during their rehab.

I suppose this is a good a post to reply to.

I am a nobody, just another one in a long line of people good enough to be invited down to an AFL club as a teen, good enough to be there for a few years, but not good enough to play at the top level.

I had broken up with my girlfriend when I was 15/16, and managed to somehow scrape my hand against a wall as it was happening(!). When I turned up to training that night, one of the trainers looked at my hand & said to go & see 'Doc Reid', who I had never met before. When I approached him & showed him my hand, he asked me what happened. I downplayed it & he just looked at me & said gruffly "You punched a wall when you broke up with her, didn't you!". I tried to hide it but he just laughed & said 'come with me'. After treating & wrapping it, he said , "go on, pi$$ off!". A couple of years later, he became my (and the family's) GP, as we lived near his practice. The normal consultation was 5 minutes diagnosis & telling me the treatment, then 10 minutes of footy chat. And each visit would finish with that same phrase: "Go on, pi$$ off!"

I was a particularly injury prone player, so I spent a fair bit of time with him. Psychological support is a massive requirement, and this is one of the areas where he excelled. He helped me through a knee reconstruction, achilles & thumb ops & some even more serious injuries suffered along the way.

More importantly than that, he was a big support when my dad passed away.

Bruce was a bloody good athlete, I think he ran a 2.30 odd marathon, and was still active into his late 60's. He used to beat the entire list around the tan in the time trial - when he was in his early 40's.

One small example of how he could make you feel special: As I mentioned - I was a nobody. But, I was sitting in the waiting room at the Epworth with Bachar Houli, who was still at Essendon at the time. We both kept to ourselves, and when Bruce came out he said 'G'day Bash, do you realise you're sitting with an ex U19's & 2nds Essendon player?'

RIP Bruce.

Ahhh bugga! Insidious cruel bloody disease...

Thanks for everything Doc, always loved seeing you on the bench intermingling with the boys during battle, donning the shiny black & red tracksuit for as long as I can remember. 🙂

Rest well sir...

Just here to pay my respects to The Doc, his family and Your footy club.

From all reports he was an extraordinary and selfless person, who gave his players and people he was taking care of the very best treatment a Doctor can do.

He certainly will be greatly missed, not just by the Essendon Footy Club but the entire AFL community.

Rest in Peace, Dr Bruce Reid ❤🖤

A wonderful man.

met him a few times at training events and at club functions when I was younger. Always had time to talk.

a big part of the club is lost.

RIP Bruce.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back