Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah we need to be careful, I'd rather as much as we can this season.
With a decent coach I can see us winning upwards of 8 games next year. We should have Cunners, Phillips and Comben plus organic growth of some of the younger players. And a further pre-season.

The 8 plus games is also based on the fact that there are plenty of good ordinary sides doing the rounds currently.

I could see us having future picks removed and fair enough if we turn it around. And we need to turn it around- ******* now !

I’d do it in a year or two, that way the afl can’t take it back Ala the suns because if we start rising the first phone all will be from afl house.

I say burn most of the capital in one year and give the middle finger if people start saying it was too much.
I see you've met the AFL.;)

Yeah we need to be careful, I'd rather as much as we can this season.
With a decent coach I can see us winning upwards of 8 games next year. We should have Cunners, Phillips and Comben plus organic growth of some of the younger players. And a further pre-season.

The 8 plus games is also based on the fact that there are plenty of good ordinary sides doing the rounds currently.

I could see us having future picks removed and fair enough if we turn it around. And we need to turn it around- ******* now !
Same. If we're feeling confident worst case we can at least trade our normal picks - I doubt they'd pull PP's if we had no draft hand left...

If we're after a 6000 point package I'd like to see something like this.

I Picks 4 and 19 this year.

Pick 19 next year.

Pick 4 the year after.

4+19 = 2982 draft points

So total would be 5964 spread over three years.

Reasonable expectations for first round picks based on ladder position should see us around pick 5 next year and in the range 10-15 for the year after.

Picks 19 and then 4 in the next two years would significantly strengthen our draft hand and give us trade capital and wouldn't push other teams too far back after this year.
I don't think we can dictate what pick we're getting right? Would just be start of first, middle first, end of first etc.

You know that feeling you get when you buy a raffle ticket or tattslotto ticket or something and you think you might actually have a shot of winning this.

That's the feeling I currently have about a pick 1 PP.

Hope the outcome is not the same as it usually is.

I won the tattslotto superdraw. It was $10.90 but it was still a win... I am expecting us to get that kind of win from the AFL.

Larkey is a handy player.

You need role players to win premierships, but we won't be winning one if he remains our best key forward.
Absolutely you need role players! Look at just about every last premiership side in recent history - Tigs, Hawks, Syd, Dees. Yeah they had some stars, but their fringe players and role players are what got them there!.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should have pick 1 and 2 locked in now

That would only be reserved for the plastic franchises.

I will be shocked with anything better than the first pick of the second round and some other VFL listing or soft cap allowances…

Carlton only got 2 VFL players didn’t they after a 2 win season and their 4th bottom placed finish in 10 years? I think we are being foolish comparing our projected priority package with Gold Coast.

I hope I’m wrong, but just don’t have high hopes relying on the AFL.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That would only be reserved for the plastic franchises.

I will be shocked with anything better than the first pick of the second round and some other VFL listing or soft cap allowances…

Carlton only got 2 VFL players didn’t they after a 2 win season and their 4th bottom placed finish in 10 years? I think we are being foolish comparing our projected priority package with Gold Coast.

I hope I’m wrong, but just don’t have high hopes relying on the AFL.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It's simple then. We get pick 19, spud it up another year with 3 wins and get PP 1 and 11 in '23...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Assuming 1) Will Ashcroft does not nominate for father-son - (bear in mind that he barracks for Geelong instead of Brisbane; that he is glad that his family moved to Victoria from Gold Coast; and that he continues to remain undecided) and 2) We get to use 6000 points live on draft night however we want (unlikely, but just imagine), then we could do something like this:

2022 AFL Draft:

Pick 1 (North Melbourne): Will Ashcroft
Pick 2 (West Coast): George Wardlaw
Pick 3 (North Melbourne): Harry Sheezel - 2234 Points
Pick 4 (GWS Giants): Mattaes Philipou
Pick 5 (North Melbourne): Jedd Busslinger - 1878 Points

2023 AFL Draft:

6000 - 2234 - 1878 = 1888 Points = Pick 5

Pick 1 (North Melbourne):
Pick 2 (TBA):
Pick 3 (TBA):
Pick 4 (TBA):
Pick 5 (North Melbourne):

Will Ashcroft and Harry Sheezel have probably developed a lot of synergy together at Sandringham Dragons. We probably need Sheezel more than Ashcroft to solve our Forward Line issues but the best solution is to draft them together.

Then we draft Jedd Busslinger to solve our lack of a CHB issue.

Then draft two more Top 5 Picks in 2023 - more than enough for an Alastair Clarkson rebuild.

1659297615987.png

Larkey is a handy player.

You need role players to win premierships, but we won't be winning one if he remains our best key forward.
I understand that he is often held, scragged and double teamed, but he is also squandering many opportunities by dropping easy marks, overrunning the mark or fumbles that just don’t seem to be happening with other team’s number 1 forwards.

You are having a laugh if you think we are getting a pick straight after our first. Don't even entertain it because it WILL NOT happen.

Best case scenario would be an end of first round pick.
Guarantee we get more than that and rightly so! At least a mid 1st and end of 1st. What's the point otherwise

Guarantee we get more than that and rightly so! At least a mid 1st and end of 1st. What's the point otherwise

Perhaps a mid first round. I'd be aiming that high but I doubt it will happen. Other clubs are already campaigning against us.

We have gone the way of not asking for particular picks, but for xxxx points over multiple drafts. I highly doubt that is going to result in multiple first round picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back