List Mgmt. Draft, Sign, Trade, Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like we'll be losing Verlado to Carlton and getting Brazzale back from them.

Good for our depleted midfield stocks in the coming season, but a long-term loss for sure.

It's a good signing I hope. We need midfielders. I hope Brazzale does well for us.

I didn't see it with Velardo but a lot of players don't look great when they start and improve rapidly.

I thought Verlado improved a great deal over the last 12 months.

Its not ideal to lose her. But we can survive. Another midfielder is def needed given we'll have no brit and bri this season and the loss of O'Dea as another big bodied mid.

Its not ideal to lose her. But we can survive. Another midfielder is def needed given we'll have no brit and bri this season and the loss of O'Dea as another big bodied mid.

Totally agree Jen, l thought Verlado was one of our better players, particularly in the last few weeks of the season. She will be a loss...

Totally agree Jen, l thought Verlado was one of our better players, particularly in the last few weeks of the season. She will be a loss...
I thought she definitely showed great improvement on the wing/half back. It is a shame. And to Carlton of all teams.

Agreed. Wasted development games - she was pretty woeful and only just looked like she was starting to come good so to pump that time into her for Carlton to likely bear the fruits is hugely disappointing.

Sad to see Verlado depart. Thought she was just starting to emerge as the footballer she’ll become.

Know nothing of Brazzale so look forward to her debuting in B&W. No doubt busy going through the cleansing process at the moment.

Sad to see Verlado depart. Thought she was just starting to emerge as the footballer she’ll become.

Know nothing of Brazzale so look forward to her debuting in B&W. No doubt busy going through the cleansing process at the moment.
Not setting too many expectations - as long as she performs to the standard of our second most recent Carlton recruit at a minimum I’ll be happy 😎

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another one.

Sydney is set to land Collingwood forward Aliesha Newman ahead of Monday’s AFLW expansion deadline.
Newman, 26, has played 14 matches for the Pies after 25 with Melbourne, kicking 16 goals across her AFLW career. She is set to reunite with former Pies assistant and now Swans coach Scott Gowans.

Had me really worried when I saw the headline "Expansion club swoops on Pies gun" when I opened it

I was relieved to see it was Newman because to be fair she was struggling to break into the side so "gun"

is a bit of a stretch
Yeah, she was in and out of the team. She was never able to reach the highs of her melbourne days.

Had me really worried when I saw the headline "Expansion club swoops on Pies gun" when I opened it

I was relieved to see it was Newman because to be fair she was struggling to break into the side so "gun"

is a bit of a stretch
yup agree.
another fringe player who can play.

But hasn't grown as much as the sport.
She was very good early days, but as the skills improved, she hasn't. So she is on the fringe and i suspect the Pies were ok with letting her go (or even encouraged her to explore her options).

Good luck to her and hope she does well!

So with the expansion sides signing deadline finished, looks like we suffered minimal damage, with losing basically fringe players, besides Alexander. Our depth though has taken a hit, so hopefully we trade and draft well to replenish our list, and get a couple of players in that can make an immediate impact.
We do have a player right under our nose, that l think can make an immediate impact in our midfield, and that's Zander in our VFLW side. Would love to see the club bring her into our AFLW programme....

Last edited:
So we lost 4 players, lost two of our best players to injury and lost our 2nd round pick thanks to the AFL???

AFL just trying to get through the pain of new clubs & change of season in one hit.
Looks very messy though.

Just had a quick look at the draft order.
once the whole 'state based' system comes in, we have 13,30,39.
Which is ok given the sheer number of picks floating around.

Its so wrong that Vic has so many teams, yet the talent pool available to the clubs is not that much better than each state.
interstate teams should be much much stronger given the extra teams now in Vic will dilute the pool even more.

This whole thing looks very very messy in my book.

also....
We currently have 4 list spots (6 if you include the 2 inactive players)...and 3 picks.
Does that mean we cannot use another pick if we like who is there?
Do those extra 3 spots have to be filled by DFA? Trades?

Seems a strange situation to be in.

Pre trade: Collingwood: 25, 57, 73​

But we should get a pick for Verlado.

2022 NAB AFL Women's Draft Order as at Tuesday, May 31​

ROUND ONE

1 Sydney
2 Hawthorn
3 Port Adelaide
4 Essendon
5 Sydney
6 Hawthorn
7 Port Adelaide
8 Essendon
9 Hawthorn
10 Hawthorn
11 Sydney
12 Sydney
13 Sydney
14 West Coast
15 West Coast
16 St Kilda
17 Geelong
18 Richmond
19 Gold Coast
20 GWS
21 Carlton
22 Hawthorn
23 Port Adelaide
24 Western Bulldogs
25 Collingwood
26 North Melbourne
27 Fremantle
28 St Kilda
29 Sydney
30 Hawthorn
31 Port Adelaide
32 Essendon
33 Hawthorn
34 Port Adelaide
35 Essendon
36 West Coast

ROUND TWO

37 St Kilda
38 Carlton
39 North Melbourne
40 Fremantle
41 Brisbane
42 Melbourne
43 Adelaide
44 Sydney
45 Hawthorn
46 Port Adelaide
47 Essendon
48 West Coast
49 Gold Coast

ROUND THREE

50 West Coast
51 Geelong
52 Richmond
53 Gold Coast
54 GWS
55 Carlton
56 Western Bulldogs
57 Collingwood
58 Brisbane
59 Melbourne
60 Adelaide
61 Sydney
62 Hawthorn
63 Port Adelaide
64 Essendon

ROUND FOUR

65 West Coast
66 St Kilda
67 Geelong
68 Richmond
69 Gold Coast
70 GWS
71 Carlton
72 Western Bulldogs
73 Collingwood
74 North Melbourne
75 Fremantle
76 Brisbane
77 Melbourne
78 Adelaide
79 Sydney
80 Hawthorn
81 Port Adelaide
82 Essendon

We should be getting well compensated for Velardo.
Hopefully at a level of previous years pick / player swaps and not diluted by the Expansion signing costs.

She's about to really blossom as a footballer.
176 cm, mobile and can kick well.
Big loss, IMHO.

Carlton's 21 needs to be part of trade as I see it.
Brazzale is much older and seems to be a back utility to me???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back