Draft whispers, rumours & scuttlebut

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesn't make for good law enforcement if the avoidance charge carries a lesser penalty to the charge being avoided.

There used to be a $50 fine for riding a motorbike with the license plate obscured with a rego disk, easy choice if the speeding fine is $110. Now the obscuring is $1000 or something like that.

Really? Do you drive? Try it out and see what happens. Automatic 2 years for a first offence.
Yeah don't know.

Obviously never refused, no need to. But thought there was some urban myth that you had the choice of breath test or blood test. But that may be once you've failed the road side breath test.

Yeah don't know.

Obviously never refused, no need to. But thought there was some urban myth that you had the choice of breath test or blood test. But that may be once you've failed the road side breath test.
Once you fail the roadside test you're automatically taken in to the bus to have a blood test to make sure there was no issue affecting the reading on the breathalyzer, or at least that how they used to do it according to my mate who was a cop in a former life.

Yeah don't know.

No choice really. If you refuse a breath test you need to a legit reason. ie Medically you can't complete the test, in which case you should submit for a blood test

But he has nominated for the AFL draft has he not?

He's also benefited from AFL funded objectives such as the combine.

If they wanted to sanction him by not allowing him into the draft this year I believe that would be their prerogative. I don't believe they could fine him however.

I suppose they could theoretically bar him from the draft by denying his nomination or something like that but that would be VERY out of character for the AFL. If something like this happened to an actual AFL player then the most they would get is a club-imposed suspension, agree to make a charity donation, go to some sort of education session. All of those things would be organised at club level, not by the AFL, so since he doesn't have a club yet, there's really no logic by which you could expect him to receive any punishment. The law instead will take it's course, and of course, it will have some effect on how clubs view him on draft night. Should the AFL be harsher on drink-driving? Perhaps so, but in these circumstances, he's not an AFL player yet so I don't think it's relevant.

I suppose they could theoretically bar him from the draft by denying his nomination or something like that but that would be VERY out of character for the AFL. If something like this happened to an actual AFL player then the most they would get is a club-imposed suspension, agree to make a charity donation, go to some sort of education session. All of those things would be organised at club level, not by the AFL, so since he doesn't have a club yet, there's really no logic by which you could expect him to receive any punishment. The law instead will take it's course, and of course, it will have some effect on how clubs view him on draft night. Should the AFL be harsher on drink-driving? Perhaps so, but in these circumstances, he's not an AFL player yet so I don't think it's relevant.

Fair enough, it's not something I feel strongly about. He's a dumbo and will have to work twice as hard to earn respect but deserves a chance.

Does the AFL have umbrella jurisdiction over any lower competitions that practice AFL football?

I believe yes, because AFL bans run down the chain too

In a sense, but these competitions tend to govern themselves with the occasional nudge from the AFL. See for example how the VFL gave Will Minson a massive ban this year, then got a stern word from the AFL and suddenly it was a fine. IF this happened in the middle of the TAC Cup season or the National Champs then I'm sure Curnow would've gotten a few weeks out of the team. But since those seasons are over - and he would already be technically off the list of any of those clubs - there's not really anything they could do.

Brad Hill ran from police after we drafted him. He didn't get found on anything was just an idiot. Just think back to how stupid you were when you were 18-19. Kid made a mistake, give him a break and drop this 'bringing the game into disrepute' quote that gets slung everytime something happens so that it can be punishable by the AFL.

Chris Yarran was apart of an armed robbery before we drafted him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Snorting Coke and posting it on the Internet as a 23yo professional athlete that has had 5 years of media training is different to an 18yo with no training getting locked up for drink driving. Perspective please.
Perspective?

It doesn't matter how old they are, drink driving is an incredibly dangerous thing to do which puts other people at risk.

Snorting some coke obviously isn't the smartest thing to do in the world either but at least you aren't putting other people in harm's way.

Perspective? I know which one I rate as a lot worse. If saints players want to keep ******* up I would much rather they behave like Jake Carlisle than Jack Steven for example.

Once you fail the roadside test you're automatically taken in to the bus to have a blood test to make sure there was no issue affecting the reading on the breathalyzer, or at least that how they used to do it according to my mate who was a cop in a former life.

These days your taken to the bus/station and do another breath test, (different machine to the hand helds). No blood test normally these days.

For drug tests, they have a machine that gives an indicator, but the sample is sent to a medical lab for analysis.

What sort of world do we live in where someone taking coke and potentially damaging their own health is compared at all with someone taking a substance like alcohol to impair their judgment and then risk other people's lives by speeding around at 60 - 100 kph in a piece of metal weighing over tonne through populated area?

What sort of world do we live in where someone taking coke and potentially damaging their own health is compared at all with someone taking a substance like alcohol to impair their judgment and then risk other people's lives by speeding around at 60 - 100 kph in a piece of metal weighing over tonne through populated area?
Stop making me like you fish

Why any comparisons at all? They're both wrong but for very different reasons.

There's nothing illegal about eating but walk into the pre-season overweight and you're in a world of trouble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back