Collingwood

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
To the Callow watchers.
Given the new rules have reinstated the preeminence of fwds compared to last year. eg Walker at Adel, was thought to be washed up.

Is this new trend enough to overcome the question marks on Callow previously.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
i watched the hawks cats yesterday. the hawks were sparked by CJ Jiath who was taken as a rookie in 2018. His speed and sheer athleticism sparked the whole hawthorn team.

It seems that he even went to xavier college on a scholarship so he came from a good school and might have been on the radar of pie recruiters. His parents got him out of a pretty sticky situation in some part of sudan....but i'm not sure if that qualifies as being from a good family.

Roverjg

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2014
Surf Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
I just can’t work out what we’re doing with our selection bc our coaching / players are the same but we’re expecting different results
Someone summed it up in the autopsy thread - if we lost playing our kids, the mood would be completely different

Really happy with watch we did at the draft 2020 but the preceding years have hurt us badly - I’m angry about our first round picks (Beams / Treloar / Stevo) out the door

Make a play for a young gun forward like McDonald, rejuvenate the midfield, get some speed in F50
To do so, we’re going to have give something, so do it.
Do something
Its interesting to hear commentators applaud Beveridge, Hardwick and Longmire for integrity of selection. In that they are prepared to drop players irrespective of who they are for poor form or discipline reasons, and to promote players who are in form
Collingwood do neither....
It used to be reported that the hardest thing in sport was a NSW player to be dropped from the Australian Test side... hoever the Test side has nothing on Collingwood...
Both Brown's, WHE, Thomas, Mayne and Sidebottom have had poor periods over the past 18 months. Yet....
Should one get dropped they are recalled without having any form behind them...
We keep picking the same players and continually get the same results (whilst expecting something different). Lets start picking for the future. Lets start picking players on exposed form. Lets make an example of the undisciplined. If they cant get a game, move them on!!!!

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Its interesting to hear commentators applaud Beveridge, Hardwick and Longmire for integrity of selection. In that they are prepared to drop players irrespective of who they are for poor form or discipline reasons, and to promote players who are in form
Collingwood do neither....
It used to be reported that the hardest thing in sport was a NSW player to be dropped from the Australian Test side... hoever the Test side has nothing on Collingwood...
Both Brown's, WHE, Thomas, Mayne and Sidebottom have had poor periods over the past 18 months. Yet....
Should one get dropped they are recalled without having any form behind them...
We keep picking the same players and continually get the same results (whilst expecting something different). Lets start picking for the future. Lets start picking players on exposed form. Lets make an example of the undisciplined. If they cant get a game, move them on!!!!

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the bolded may be a bit of a stumbling block.

Who are the blokes we should have gotten more games into over the last year and a bit - Lynch, Appleby, the perenially injured Murphy? - we've got games into the youngsters on our list with an AFL shot and they're our whipping boys - the Brown boys. We've got games into Quaynor and Daicos and tried to get games into Kelly, but he keeps getting injured. I'm pretty confident a fair few will debut this year and if they perform well enough, they'll hold their place.

Last edited:

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
To me, the problem lies with the lack of options and the lack of importance placed in drafting smaller forwards.....any forwards. David King said a few should be dropped but where are the options? In the past few years, we seemed to be picking teams from a group of 30 players because the rest were injured. Now we seem to be picking from the same number because the rest aren't experienced enough or good enough. The result is that we're getting games into questionable players like the browns...50 games for Callum is a lot of development but we'll be looking to replace him with someone who can kick before the next grand final.... The same seems to be true with Tyler. I ask myself how we can spare a player from the backline like Crisp to move into the midfield but the forward line falls into a hole if de goey goes into the midfield. I'd love it if someone asked buckley why we are in this position, rather than asking him endlessly where de goey is going to play.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think the bolded may be a bit of a stumbling block.

Who are the blokes we should have gotten more games into over the last year and a bit - Lynch, Appleby, the perenially injured Murphy? - we've got games into the youngsters on our list with an AFL shot and they're our whipping boys - the Brown boys. We've got games into Quaynor and Daicos and tried to get games into Kelly, but he keeps getting injured. I'm pretty confident a fair few will debut this year and if they perform well enough, they'll hold their place.

Yep. A prerequisite for getting games into young players is having them on the list in the first place. We haven’t had enough young players to choose from.

The few we do have (Kelly, Murphy etc and arguably Sier) have had injury setbacks that haven’t allowed their careers to develop in the seniors

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Yep. A prerequisite for getting games into young players is having them on the list in the first place. We haven’t had enough young players to choose from.

The few we do have (Kelly, Murphy etc and arguably Sier) have had injury setbacks that haven’t allowed their careers to develop in the seniors

I think I know the standard answer to that one....I think it's the answer to the overpayment problem too. We were doing things to "extend our premiership window". We kept the Shaz and the Reid to extend the window. We kept the Apples because he had a few games behind him and we were extending the window. We overpaid treloar to extend the window....etc etc etc.

I understand the strategy but its not the same as extending roughie or isaac smith or sam mitchell....those guys were getting long in the tooth but i'd hold them for another year just in case the chips fell and the team had a shot at the flag. The players we held onto were either injured all the time or weren't good enough for a premiership team.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don’t have a problem with giving players like Appleby opportunities. The problem was simply that we didn’t have enough players like him coming through, given there will always be a hit-miss ratio.

We had 3-4 spots too many being allocated to senior players. Now we have 3-4 spots too many to first and second year players. I’d rather err on that side for a year or so because there is a possibility of long term upside.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just on Randall,why isn’t he getting a game by now?We’ve seen Bianco and Ruscoe,but Randall hasn’t even played in a pre season game as far as I know.He’s supposed to be a running machine isn’t?He’s been winning the time trials in the preseason,so why hasn’t he been given a go yet?He’s never even been named in the emergencies.It doesn’t augur well for his career prospects.

Probably a bit like Goodyear who we drafted in 2014. Plenty of run, can accumulate but disposal efficiency is the chief issue.

Daicos and Maynard have made it being taken 30+ in the draft

2x Browns, Bianco, Rantall, Ruscoe, our several rookies, basketball converts and Irish players... a lot of our youth coming through come from the moderate to very speculative part of the draft

We’d be lucky if 2/3 of those players become 50 game players for the club. Maybe 1/3 become 100 game players - fingers crossed.

We need to hit the 1st and early 2nd rd of the draft in coming years and bring in some quality 23-27 year old free agents

Can’t be fooled by the short term... because that short term is driven by senior players 27 years and over, not those in the 18-24 year old age bracket

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Josh went in the 50's

Up until last years draft... Most our players under 25 have been late 2nd rd picks and later. Quaynor an exception. Stephenson was too

this years draft will only bring in N Daicos. Anyone else taken will be taken late again. More speculative players to add to the 10 plus of those types we already have on the list

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Up until last years draft... Most our players under 25 have been late 2nd rd picks and later. Quaynor an exception. Stephenson was too

this years draft will only bring in N Daicos. Anyone else taken will be taken late again. More speculative players to add to the 10 plus of those types we already have on the list

Dib is touted to be top 20-25

Sep 19, 2011
Zeta Reticuli
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Victory
I was talking to a major player manager today who provided some good insights into young kids and the game in general, was really interested to hear that he think Trent Bianco will be the player that stands out in 2 years time. Don’t see it right now but time will tell.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I was talking to a major player manager today who provided some good insights into young kids and the game in general, was really interested to hear that he think Trent Bianco will be the player that stands out in 2 years time. Don’t see it right now but time will tell.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

was he trent's manager? That would explain it

actually i remember seeing stories that they were comparing tyler brown to nat fyfe a couple of years ago....

Sometimes you just play kids.

I see it. Once he improves his marking, running, positioning, strength, tackling then there’s no reason why he can’t.
One thing that Fyfe always showed was uncanny judgement and a fearless aggressive attack on the ball. It was clear in the air in his skinny flanker days. once he's bulked up he's been able to use it all over the ground. Tyler may share the skinny flanker with the ability to bulk up trait, but not the traits that make Fyfe a star.

That why I hated us Trading our Top Picks nearly ever year since 2014 Draft when we got De Goey/Moore/Maynard in the Top 30

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
That why I hated us Trading our Top Picks nearly ever year since 2014 Draft when we got De Goey/Moore/Maynard in the Top 30
And then trading 2 picks in the 20s for Aish.
That was a disaster when they could have been packaged up for possibly another high pick.

The Scharenberg/Freeman draft hurt us a lot. By now you would have expected 2 players to be in our best 22

That was a disaster when they could have been packaged up for possibly another high pick.

The Scharenberg/Freeman draft hurt us a lot. By now you would have expected 2 players to be in our best 22

Aish was at Least a AFL Level Footballer though once Traded him made it a Bust still better then 4 1st rounders for Beams and Treloar and Neither are on out list now

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Aish was at Least a AFL Level Footballer though once Traded him made it a Bust still better then 4 1st rounders for Beams and Treloar and Neither are on out list now
Yeah but I think we ‘blinked’. I’ve always thought it seemed like we never went in with a backup option. Our trading was always based upon getting a specific target with a deal done at the death. That tells me we never gave ourselves room to move and so we’re forced to pay up or leave the trading period empty handed.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

i remember at the time that pie supporters were screaming that we should have taken aish ahead of shaz....and i suppose the same people were happy when we got aish later for a bargain... it's funny sometimes how life turns out

Back