Dream Time game in Darwin a nightmare for locals

Remove this Banner Ad

Not good enough from the AFL.
Where did you get this info from?
Would have thought the media would have been all over this.

My son has a mate who is involved in the NT Thunder program. He said the Thunder and AFLNT staff all had access before the public could log in. That would be a good 200 odd people.

The other priority tickets are the hundreds of corporate and government tickets that are not public tickets. You know, the big wigs who go to one game a year.

So basically after members (2 tickets per membership / fair enough), the fat cats and other 'priority' groups there was pretty well sweet stuff all tickets remaining for the general public.

BTW, I was going to the Friday night game Suns v Blues with a couple of mates who support Carlton. Thought that would be a better chance to get tickets. They sold out in 40 minutes.

Sure it's not ideal, but many of us aren't able to go to the footy this year. Personally I'd love to see Darwin or the NT get an AFL team and build a bigger stadium though. The weather could prove an issue, however.

I didn't say that, you did.

I would suggest logic would dictate very few indigenous people who live remotely on communities would be full time members of any AFL club simply due to the fact they can't attend games 3,000 km away in a normal season. They are passionate fans without question and some may well be full time members but the vast majority would not be.

So you're saying indigenous wouldn't be paid up members because of your logic?

Give us your logic?

There are plenty of passionate non-indigenous fully paid up members of club's that have no chance of attending any games because they live internationally, interstate or too far away within their state or have other sporting or work commitments on game days.

Don't tell me you've just racially profiled a group of people?

So you're saying indigenous wouldn't be paid up members because of your logic?

Give us your logic?

There are plenty of passionate non-indigenous fully paid up members of club's that have no chance of attending any games because they live internationally, interstate or too far away within their state or have other sporting or work commitments on game days.

Don't tell me you've just racially profiled a group of people?

Don't be a dick. And you are.

I'm not racially profiled anyone. I am pointing out that a marquee game focusing on indigenous players and indigenous involvement being poorly planned and managed in that thousands of indigenous fans are locked out of a game ment to be all about them while the well off and favoured get priority access.

Shouldn't indigenous people have some priority in this case or is this Dream Time concept just paying lip service?

There is only one Dream Time game a year and likely will never be played outside of the MCG again.

Last edited:
Don't be a dick. And you are.

I'm not racially profiled anyone. I am pointing out that a marquee game focusing on indigenous players and indigenous involvement being poorly planned and managed in that thousands of indigenous fans are locked out of a game ment to be all about them while the well of and favoured get priority access.

Shouldn't indigenous people have some priority in this case or is this Dream Time concept just paying lip service?

There is only one Dream Time game a year and likely will never be played outside of the MCG again.

Did you read NT Thunder' s post on the previous page?

He / she posted that tickets were allocated to local clubs and communities before the general release.

There are only 1100 tiger members in QLD. Would have to be at least half that in the NT. Don't know about Essendon members

If you’re on the money this would also be a weekly thing outside Optus Stadium given the sizeable indigenous support base that don’t get access to tickets unless they’re members.

So which is it?
The difference is Optus Stadium games aren't making a big song and dance about indigenous culture as a marketing tool. Anything terming itself a celebration of indigenous people and culture should probably include a fair number of indigenous people, don't you think?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How very self centered of you to only hold that view. But that's just Richmond culture for you.

The issue is why sell the Dream Time game as great for NT indigenous fans and the vast majority of them are locked out with no chance to see the game.
See ur point. Assumes no indigenous people are members. Im sure the Tigers have some Darwin based indigenous members.

Only one solution for mine - Eagles game against the Giants needs to be moved from Perth to Darwin to give these footy fans a match they can go to.

It’s the right thing to do.

I can understand what's been done, the seating capacity and allocations don't allow for everyone to be happy. There will be plenty of indigenous representation at the game both as supporters from local and remote communities, there always is.

The clubs and AFLNT will also have their fair share of tickets and I've no problem with that, these guys support local and remote indigenous communities throughout the NT in some trying conditions, especially since our local season aligns with the wet season. I played several years in a couple of leagues up here and I've seen communities like Lajamanu, Yarralin and Daguragu drive hours on end through s**t conditions just to play a game of footy. if the AFL gives them a bunch of free tickets to head up to Marrara then that's a good thing for everyone.

So a few of us miss out and have to sit at home in the AC or at a pub and watch the game, i can live with that.

Not sure if there is another thread for this but how on earth does someone own the copyright on the Aboriginal flag? It seems to have come up because of this game and they can't use the flag.

How does that happen? I'm far from one of those progressive fascists on issues of race.. but someone having the rights to that flag is ridiculous. Apparently its not even an Aboriginal group or person although would still not make sense. The government should pick a figure, pay whoever it is and cancel the copyright.

I missed out on tickets to both games. It’s pretty disappointing to limit capacity but they need to comply with the NT government’s COVID restrictions so there’s nothing they can do about it. It will be interesting to see how many tickets will be available for the Dees Saints game in Alice. They only get about 5500 to a game there in a normal year. Not sure why the thread degenerated into a white v black s**t fight, but there you go....

Not sure if there is another thread for this but how on earth does someone own the copyright on the Aboriginal flag? It seems to have come up because of this game and they can't use the flag.

How does that happen? I'm far from one of those progressive fascists on issues of race.. but someone having the rights to that flag is ridiculous. Apparently its not even an Aboriginal group or person although would still not make sense. The government should pick a figure, pay whoever it is and cancel the copyright.

The Aboriginal flag is recognised under Commonwealth law as "the flag of the Aboriginal peoples of Australia and a flag of significance to the Australian nation generally", but copyright of the design is held by Indigenous artist and land rights activist Harold Thomas and he must approve its use.

Harry designed the flag.

Can the government not just compulsorily acquire the rights to the flag? Waiting until 70 years after the guy has died and it goes into the public domain doesn't seem like a great solution.

I would have more sympathy for the creator / owner if he wasn't on-selling said rights to some particularly unsavoury companies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back