Dropping Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

They all make rubbish decisions, she’s just the most easily recognisable, especially with the umpire mics on TV. There’s a precedent for umpires being dropped if they’re not deemed to be performing, no reason to think they’d treat Eleni any differently.

Non-story, time to go fully professional.

They all make rubbish decisions, she’s just the most easily recognisable, especially with the umpire mics on TV. There’s a precedent for umpires being dropped if they’re not deemed to be performing, no reason to think they’d treat Eleni any differently.

plenty of umpires are recognisable.

id say more so when they are shitty umpires.

agree though, embarrassing that they arent full time

Her and Razor Ray are the only two that anyone knows, so they cop more grief than anyone. And that bald idiot, whatever his name is.

In her case, she's made some stinkers of decisions and deserves to be dropped.

Umpires should be full time in this day and age. All the umpires have been struggling and it doesn't help when the AFL keep changing rules left right and centre. It seems umpires interpretations vary too much between each other.

Couldn't stand her whilst she was in the SANFL. Always hated when she was our assigned umpire.

Biggest knock on her is how she is so easily influenced by reactions from players, ie. flailing arms, flicking the head back, groans and grunts etc.

Making umpires fulltime will change nothing other than start questions being asked as to why the standard doesn't change from what it is now. What nobody has been able to elaborate on is what would they do from 9-5 each day as a fulltime umpire? They already run as much km during the week as is desired. There is more than enough reviewing games and digesting observers feedback. I guess you could sit down and re-read the rule book every morning (takes about an hour). All they would end up doing is running clinics in schools or attending club training which won't do anything to enhance their own performances. And then if somebody is dropped, they do nothing for the week because umpiring just happens to be their fulltime job...

Accidently come across this when looking for pr0n. Thoughts moved away from my pants and into my head - how do the AFL assign umpires? Is it as in-depth as the Premier League? I highly doubt it but the little video was interesting to see the thought process going into assigning referees - especially the bit about Kevin Friend not being able to referee a match because of a potential perceived bias because he watched a few matches at King Power Stadium. I also liked that referees need to declare teams they support. I mean, it's all a bit of common sense but I think the AFL really lack in this area.

The problem with dropping from the pool of AFL umpires is you then need to promote someone else. If the best umpires are already in the game, then you'd think whoever coming in to replace them has a decent chance of being worse.

Its probably the hardest sport (or one of) in the world to umpire given so many dynamics and the physicality of it.

Accidently come across this when looking for pr0n. Thoughts moved away from my pants and into my head - how do the AFL assign umpires? Is it as in-depth as the Premier League? I highly doubt it but the little video was interesting to see the thought process going into assigning referees - especially the bit about Kevin Friend not being able to referee a match because of a potential perceived bias because he watched a few matches at King Power Stadium. I also liked that referees need to declare teams they support. I mean, it's all a bit of common sense but I think the AFL really lack in this area.

The NBA keeps detailed stats. This is an unofficial version, I think: https://www.nbastuffer.com/2020-2021-nba-referee-stats/

An economist used the NBA's own stats some years ago to essentially prove racial bias in refereeing: https://www.nber.org/papers/w13206

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Majority of time it's done for ease of administrative purposes. i.e. Most of the senior coaching staff are in Melbourne so they want to observe all umpires fairly evenly. Umpires will be rostered in Melbourne to be watched live. If they've been seen a few times they'll then travel interstate. Various pairings are also trialled to see how umpires work with each other. A first time umpire (or someone relatively new) will be teamed up with someone experienced, etc. Sometimes the coaches will want to see a particular umpire (or 2) in a pressure match so they might be appointed to a top 3 game. At the same time they'll be ensuring that no umpire gets appointed to the same team too often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back