DRS

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
What does everybody think? Watching the first test everyone is bagging the umps (rightly in the case of No Balls/but which should be up to technology to call or better get rid of the front foot rule and just do back foot) but some of the overturned decisions were bizarre.

1) The LBWs. Hawkeye dramatically over estimates the bounce. How often is a spinner bowling it lands half way down hits the knee roll only to be ruled clearing the stumps. Give me a break.

2) Hot Spot. Snicko. While these are good there is too much emphasis on these. Like the Cummins one. His pad and arms blocked the wrist strap of his golve where the ball hit. Yet the 3rd ump said because there was no hot spot the decision was over turned.

I'd have this like the Goal ump in footy. In that the umpire gives his call it goes upstairs and then the 3rd umpire decides. Either over turned/upheld or back to umpires call. Use any relevant technology but the ultimate call should be the umpires not what the "inaccurate" technology is telling them.

System is perfectly fine as it is and a great addition to the game. Move on

System is fine, which is why I would love for the umpires to give the batsmen out if it shows the ball tracking to hit the stumps.

To the casual follower there must be so much confusion for them when the ball hitting the stumps is given not out for a variety of reasons.

I'd have this like the Goal ump in footy. In that the umpire gives his call it goes upstairs and then the 3rd umpire decides. Either over turned/upheld or back to umpires call. Use any relevant technology but the ultimate call should be the umpires not what the "inaccurate" technology is telling them.

That's the current system mate.

The on field umpire has already made a call. The DS is to conclusively say whether that original decision is wrong, if that can't be proven, the original decision stands.

System is fine, which is why I would love for the umpires to give the batsmen out if it shows the ball tracking to hit the stumps.

To the casual follower there must be so much confusion for them when the ball hitting the stumps is given not out for a variety of reasons.

No, no and no. There has to be some benefit of the doubt, otherwise you are having a ball hitting the stumps by 1mm as being overturned. That's not what the system is for. That wasn't a howler, the system is designed to eliminate the howlers.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
DRS is great. People need to go back to pre-DRS and see how many absolutely ridiculous decisions used to decide games and how much time was spent talking about those decisions. You only have to watch the shield to see how often s**t umpiring effects games or ask Matt Renshaw about some of the decisions he's copped this year.

I also think people over-estimate how often a ball will stay low enough to hit the stumps. I'm particularly thinking of the ball Ashwin bowled to Cummins that went through his legs. If that had hit him on the leg, no one would have thought it was going over the top of the stumps.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
That's the current system mate.

The on field umpire has already made a call. The DS is to conclusively say whether that original decision is wrong, if that can't be proven, the original decision stands.

I mean more the umpire not tech making the call. Take LBs. They basically overturn based on what ball tracking says. Not the 3rd ump ultimately making the call if there is enough. (Blind Freddy can see half the time ball tracking is totally out of whack and should be ignored yet that's what the decision is based on).

No, no and no. There has to be some benefit of the doubt, otherwise you are having a ball hitting the stumps by 1mm as being overturned. That's not what the system is for. That wasn't a howler, the system is designed to eliminate the howlers.

The system was initially designed for the howler.

DRS has become much more sophisticated. A ball only needs to be hitting the stumps by 1mm to be out.

I mean more the umpire not tech making the call. Take LBs. They basically overturn based on what ball tracking says. Not the 3rd ump ultimately making the call if there is enough. (Blind Freddy can see half the time ball tracking is totally out of whack and should be ignored yet that's what the decision is based on).

That's why the margin of error comes into it (25% or more has to hit to overturn). It's a good system. Personally I preferred the 50% of a ball to overturn but 25% is good enough. Batsmen should hit the ball.

The system was initially designed for the howler.

DRS has become much more sophisticated. A ball only needs to be hitting the stumps by 1mm to be out.

That's where I disagree. If the on field umpire says out, then that is fair enough...but 1mm should never be enough to overturn. 25% of the ball is a good, reasonable amount.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
That's where I disagree. If the on field umpire says out, then that is fair enough...but 1mm should never be enough to overturn. 25% of the ball is a good, reasonable amount.

Yet if it just misses by 1mm it can be overturned from OUT to NOT OUT. No Umpires Call there in that circumstance.

I like DRS, the concept and implementation.

Just think Hot Spot doesn't show every time and can be blocked and ball tracking is that inaccurate it shouldn't be relied on or even used.

Yet if it just misses by 1mm it can be overturned from OUT to NOT OUT. No Umpires Call there in that circumstance.

I like DRS, the concept and implementation.

Just think Hot Spot doesn't show every time and can be blocked and ball tracking is that inaccurate it shouldn't be relied on or even used.

You won't see me saying otherwise- there should be a margin both sides. That's why I like the 50%. Provides more of a margin. We only need howlers being overtunerd.

Sep 14, 2003
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Angels, Maple Leafs
My biggest issue with DRS is that the rules are different for the various modes of dismissal - with no restriction on how may decisions are referred per innings.

Run outs, stumpings, catches close to the ground, catches on the boundary and hit wicket reviews are initiated by the 2 umpires.
LBW, caught behind and caught at the wicket (eg bat pad) reviews are initiated either by the 2 batsmen (if given out) or the 11 fielders (if given not out) - with a limit of 2 incorrect referrals per innings.

I believe that this puts way too much pressure on the players (especially the batsmen) who are there to bat, bowl and field, not to umpire. We have 3 umpires paid handsomely to make decisions.

I would make 2 fundamental changes to DRS.

1. All dismissals are automatically reviewed. When given out the 3rd umpire can quickly review the dismissal and if there is doubt, keep the batsman on the ground until a full DRS is performed (as they do now with no balls). This would remove the farcical situation where a batsman doesn't/can't call for a review on a close dismissal (later proven to be not out) to save reviews, or when a team has already used its 2 reviews.

2. To even things up for the fielding team, give them unlimited reviews - but penalize them 5 runs for every frivilous review (equivalent to current "lost" reviews now eg LBW missing the stumps or caught behind off the pad).

Lol u wut m8?

People that don't think the ball tracking is accurate probably shouldn't be allowed a say on DRS.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
My biggest issue with DRS is that the rules are different for the various modes of dismissal - with no restriction on how may decisions are referred per innings.

Run outs, stumpings, catches close to the ground, catches on the boundary and hit wicket reviews are initiated by the 2 umpires.
LBW, caught behind and caught at the wicket (eg bat pad) reviews are initiated either by the 2 batsmen (if given out) or the 11 fielders (if given not out) - with a limit of 2 incorrect referrals per innings.

I believe that this puts way too much pressure on the players (especially the batsmen) who are there to bat, bowl and field, not to umpire. We have 3 umpires paid handsomely to make decisions.

I would make 2 fundamental changes to DRS.

1. All dismissals are automatically reviewed. When given out the 3rd umpire can quickly review the dismissal and if there is doubt, keep the batsman on the ground until a full DRS is performed (as they do now with no balls). This would remove the farcical situation where a batsman doesn't/can't call for a review on a close dismissal (later proven to be not out) to save reviews, or when a team has already used its 2 reviews.

2. To even things up for the fielding team, give them unlimited reviews - but penalize them 5 runs for every frivilous review (equivalent to current "lost" reviews now eg LBW missing the stumps or caught behind off the pad).

THIS

THANK YOU.

That’s the phrase I’ve used since this system was brought in. Players have had three skills - evolving, but at their core still the same - since the game began.

A limited use system is asking them to add a fourth.
That’s the only beef I have with it. That by limiting it to a certain number of challenges, you’re asking them to become umpires. My suggestion has always been to add 10 extras to the opposition total per incorrect referral. It would deter sides from using them frivolously but ensure that even if they’d made some incorrect reviews, they can still go upstairs later on when a batsman hits fresh air but gets given out

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lol u wut m8?

People that don't think the ball tracking is accurate probably shouldn't be allowed a say on DRS.

OK so next time it bounces half way down the track is on its way down and hits below the knee roll and ball tracking has it going over the top I'll trust in the technology.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
OK so next time it bounces half way down the track is on its way down and hits below the knee roll and ball tracking has it going over the top I'll trust in the technology.

I defy you to find literally any example like the one mentioned above. Any.

For starters, in the rare instance that any international batsman would be s**t enough to miss a ball that is actually on its way down when it gets to them, they would be experienced enough not to review it. You know, having most likely played cricket their whole life and all.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

they tried this in the early days and the umpires referred basically everything.

The new system has added a tactical element to it's use, which is ok. If they want it just for the howlers it would need to go down to 1 per innings but that will never happen.

weetert

All Australian
Jul 4, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
DRS has been great but I still don't trust the ball tracking. E.g I remember Mitch Marsh getting out on review to an apparent leg spinner from Rabada in 2016.

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
The issue is the graphical representation, not the DRS result

What we should get is the hitbox with % chance

Back