Ducking Crucified!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Was at the game and the three goals gifted to the eagles in the third were most probably there, but hard to see up in the top tier. However McGrath should have had a 50 and Green should have had a free and that's not being biased.

When I hear people complain about the Eagles free kicks, I feel like they only started watching AFL this season.

Look at the statistics over the last decade and you will see a clear correlation between free's for and ladder position, and the converse for free's against.

Anyways, the Lions were hungrier all game and Greene made a huge impact as a sub. Voss out-coached Worsfold too well. Well done to the Lions, I hope they can keep it up.

When I hear people complain about the Eagles free kicks, I feel like they only started watching AFL this season.

We're not complaining about Eagles free kicks, we're complaining about Matthew Nicholls.

Use the search function on our board and look up the word Nicholls. You'll see a long history of acknowledged incompetence and bias, enabling you to stick your "You've only started watching AFL this season" condescension up your brass wazoo. :thumbsu:

We're not complaining about Eagles free kicks, we're complaining about Matthew Nicholls.

Use the search function on our board and look up the word Nicholls. You'll see a long history of acknowledged incompetence and bias, enabling you to stick your "You've only started watching AFL this season" condescension up your brass wazoo. :thumbsu:

Not everybody in this thread dichotomised like you BD.

I acknowledge your hate of Nicholls; our version is Margetts.

Look at the statistics over the last decade and you will see a clear correlation between free's for and ladder position, and the converse for free's against.

Still doesn't make it right when umpires rule to reputations though does it?

Just because something has been done incorrectly for numerous years doesn't mean it should continue without question.

Personally I believe it has moved into ridiculous territory with today as a prime example. The umpiring today was disgracefully pro-Armchairs, and yet a number of your supporters have managed to whine about no review?

Thought the lions did well considering every second handball of theirs was a throw.
Thought the eagles did well considering every second tackle they ducked their heads.

Weird game of umpiring overall.

In the first half they seemed pretty even handed. Without the benefit of a match replay (yet), I can't really recall too many contentious decisions (or non-decisions) to half time.

Then, basically right from the start of the third quarter, it was like they had flicked a collective switch at the half-time break and somehow decided that WCE needed some help.

Whilst they were plucking frees from everywhere to the Eagles, they all appeared to be suffering from the 3 Blind Mice syndrome in so far as infringements the other way....and it didn't get any better.

Nicholls was his usual dreadful self........I actually believe he has a hang-up about being booed by the Gabba crowd, rather than with the Lions Per Se.
The more you boo him the more contrary he gets, to the point where he seems to get his jollies by sticking it up the crowd.

This is not just a conclusion I got from today's "exhibition"....I've seen it before with him at the Gabba.

The other two weren't any better either.

Pretty sure it was No. 27 (Ryan) that somehow "missed" the blatant free to Green in the dying seconds of the game.

Overall, a diabolical performance from the officials today.:thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought the lions did well considering every second handball of theirs was a throw.

Got away with it as much as your blokes did.

Seriously don't even understand why Eagles posters are in this thread QQing. Seriously, unless they really are your umpires, why the hell do you care? Umpiring was rubbish, has nothing to do with the Eagles.

Still doesn't make it right when umpires rule to reputations though does it?

I agree. Every team has players who are rewarded free's based on reputation. In our team it's consistently Dean Cox.

Just because something has been done incorrectly for numerous years doesn't mean it should continue without question.

My historical reference had nothing to do with what you are alluding to (I'm guessing ducking). The point I was trying to make with the correlation of free's and ladder position, is that better teams draw more free's because their opposition is comparatively less disciplined. This is the reality of our game. The exception of the rule is the teams that play 'unsociable' football, regardless of their ladder position they will always give free kicks away.

Yep you are right mate......the umpires have no idea....but if you got the balls you just get on with the game....

Do you wear a dodgy gold necklace like the rest of the perth crew?

Let's see now.

The match stats showed that the Lions had 144 handballs for the game.

And.......... WCE got the frees 21-13.

So, using your "logic' the E-Girls (whom, as everybody knows, only execute handballs that are as pure as the driven snow) really should have got another 72 frees.

Which means the FK count really should have been 93-13

Oh...the injustice of it all

I thought the eagles did well considering............ No that's right. The Eagles lost. Even with a bunch of gifted free kicks and obvious biased calls YOU STILL LOST. Go back to your thread and complain about how badly you played ( when actually you didnt play badly at all. The lions just outplayed you). See ya Turbo

So then we should expect similar free kick numbers for the other teams on 32 points currently?

My historical reference had nothing to do with what you are alluding to (I'm guessing ducking). The point I was trying to make with the correlation of free's and ladder position, is that better teams draw more free's because their opposition is comparatively less disciplined. This is the reality of our game.

Don't believe the ducking is an issue for your team any more than several others that had perfected the 'shrug'.

The better teams get given more free kicks on reputation and the umpire's ensuing perceptions. Daniel Kerr will get more free kicks given than say Jack Redden in identical circumstances. All because umpires don't umpire all teams equally. I believe the Lions in the early 2000's got a good run for this exact reason.

I've sent my email off, I don't expect a reply but I can't bare to watch that moron officiate any more games.

Also Eagles supporters whinging about umpires, you should have won today, you didn't. Get over your disappointment and leave this board, none of us care for your delusions.

I was curious, so had a squiz at the 'frees for' table:

WC: 241
Port: 210
GWS: 208
Stk: 203
Ess: 193
Syd: 190
Bris: 188
Nor: 184
Haw: 183
Ric: 183
Gee: 182
Fre: 177
WBD: 176
Mel: 174
Ade: 165
Col: 161
Car: 150
GC: 149

I was curious, so had a squiz at the 'frees for' table:

WC: 241
Port: 210
GWS: 208
Stk: 203
Ess: 193
Syd: 190
Bris: 188
Nor: 184
Haw: 183
Ric: 183
Gee: 182
Fre: 177
WBD: 176
Mel: 174
Ade: 165
Col: 161
Car: 150
GC: 149

The jump from second to first there is quite sizable. Approaching statistical significance, even.

The jump from second to first there is quite sizable. Approaching statistical significance, even.

Say that post in a Snagglepuss voice and it becomes awesome.

A few of the players whose names I won't mention aren't too thrilled with the umpiring either. But they can't really say anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back