Ducking the head for free kicks is a soft act, and not in the spirit of the game!

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're going to give away a free kick for high contact, at least make it worth it.

The more serious neck injuries we see, the less players will duck...

Carlton are the worst offenders along with the Hawks.

*rampant

Because of Alastair Clarkson, every time we win a free kick for high contact the accusations of ducking and knee-dropping fly from supporters of the other 17 clubs.

Not true. The eagles are already miles ahead of every team for free kicks this year (around 50+ in the positive) and most are for "too high". Our team only has one player (Murphy) who gets caught high often and our free kicks are in the negative this year.
I view it as un-Australian cheating but many think its smart. But if this is the only way to win a flag then I would be prepared to swallow my pride and encourage our boys to copy the West Coast.
Very annoying.

I hope you are as concerned about Mark Murphy?

The facts:

I didn't happen much

It wasn't rewarded

Impossible to tell when it did happen that the player simply wasn't trying to go low and break free

People are now just complaining about legit head high tackles

Don't tackle high up the arm or shoulder height

The couple of free kicks paid for head high had no effect on the result

Why would I be concerned about Murphy as I have said before he is nothing like Hams and the Selwood brothers. Even if he was that is one single player in our team that supposedly does it. A fair portion of your team does this regularly.

Have you traded Marc Murphy out?

Why does Cothin run half leaning forward? Is it so he can get those push I'n the back frees? Please people let's keep the emotions out.

Tigers played brilliantly today and were unlucky not to convert I'n the dying minutes.

They are going to be a really good side I'n 12 months...

That is laughable. Have you ever ran anywhere in your life? Leaning forward is a way to build momentum and perpetuate your speed. It also keeps you lower to the ground so you will break tackles more easily. Cotchin runs normally and a lot like Gary Ablett, not so he can get in the back frees.

Carlton are the worst offenders along with the Hawks.

This tread will be in the bay soon, but with a statement like yours on the main board, please give examples of what you are referring to.

The Freekick stats are plain for everyone to see, even The West ran an article that showed that there were 3 eagles in the top 6 for high contact free kicks.

West Coast has won 42 free kicks for high contact this year, compared to only 12 for the Western Bulldogs.

Umps take aim at blatant milking of free kicks

Tigers to tackle with care

Carlton has conceded the fewest free kicks for head-high tackles this season (14) followed by Richmond (17) and West Coast (18).

Geelong has given away the most free kicks for head-high tackles (34) while Hawthorn is second on the list with 32.

The Eagles have received the most free kicks for a high tackle (42). Luke Shuey has been given 12, the most in the competition, while two others Eagles are in the top six.

Hams has received eight free kicks for a high tackle, while Scott Selwood has received five.

This is a big issue with football at the moment, but to single out the Eagles is remiss, in my opinion.

Footballers are competitive animals. Any professional athlete worth their salt will do anything they can within the rules of their specific sport to win. I don't like seeing it - hell, I bloody hate it - but until the AFL takes action on the issue it's a legitimate tactic that footballers of all clubs will - and frankly, if it goes unregulated, should - use. If Scott Selwood or Sam Mitchell or whoever else can draw a free kick that decides the game, why the bloody hell wouldn't he?

I was quite torn when Clarko aired his concerns about this after the loss to the Weagles. On the one hand, in an overarching sense, it is definitely something that warrants discussion within the football community... but the manner in which he brought it up - immediately after a nail biting lose, directed solely at the team which inflicted that defeat - caused him to come off as a bitter whinger.

In short: I watch players from every club do this week in and week out and I loathe it, especially when Hawthorn players do it. The AFL needs to take a good, hard look at this issue and find a way to bury it. I agree that it is almost the equivalent of diving in soccer.

However, singling out the Eagles makes you - like Clarko before you - look like a sore loser and actually belittles what is a very serious issue with our great game. ;)

How dare you make sense in this thread

The problem is that everyone is going into Eagles games now looking for the duckers. I bet you'd see just as much in any game if you were looking out for it as much as every is now with the Eagles.

The problem is that everyone is going into Eagles games now looking for the duckers. I bet you'd see just as much in any game if you were looking out for it as much as every is now with the Eagles.

Total free kicks + free kick differential statistics for the season don't lie.

When watching the Eagles you can't help but not be seeing players ducking.

The Eagles have received the most free kicks for a high tackle (42). Luke Shuey has been given 12, the most in the competition, while two others Eagles are in the top six.

Hams has received eight free kicks for a high tackle, while Scott Selwood has received five.

Agree. I heard it at the game from opposition fans for the first time today. Clarkson has started something!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with some of the stuff said above about people noticing "ducking" more.

Now that Clarkson has brought attention to this matter, people's perceptions have become distorted. Every other club notices it now when in fact it has been happening for years, and it ISN'T cheating. It is within the reasonable reactions of a player being tackled to jerk their body, the onus is on the tackler to seize the player with the ball below the shoulders, and most effectively BY THE HIPS. This way they are guaranteed not to give a free kick away. Why should the ball-carrier be punished for the tackler's laziness?

And while the spirit of the game is in question, isn't spitting at your coach also against the spirit of the game? At least it isn't happening now because oh yes - Richmond are finally getting their act together after 30 years of foreplay with no final result (although it seems to be heading that way again this season- albeit more honourably). Don't be sore losers like Alistair Clarkson.

Yawn.

What exactly would people like to see change with regards to this? How would you go about implementing that change?

Shuey is the most skilled at it.

While there is a free kick paid for head high contact in the AFL, the smart teams will use this to their advantage.

It's not just the Eagles, every team has duckers/Knee-bucklers.. The Eagles stand out because they have mastered the art of it, and while the rules there, it's smart footy.

My biggest problem is young kids coming up through the juniors trying to emulate their hero's will be trying this. Someone is going to get hurt.

My solution to stop duckers is to pay a free kick against the ducker. You hear the umpires saying "You ducked into that, play-on" Instead, they should say "You ducked into that, free against you"

That would quickly stamp out duckers.

It's up to the umpires/afl to clamp down on it really. Can't blame teams for taking advantage of the rule how it currently is. IMO if a player deliberately drops to his knees then it should be treated the same as ducking the head and play on.

However, the one I dislike is when players put their head down and charge forward into the tackler drawing a free for front on contact. The rule is in place to protect the head and currently the way its ruled encourages players to put their head into a dangerous position. You always want guys to be rewarded for puting their head over the ball but not for the purpose of drawing frees.

This is a big issue with football at the moment, but to single out the Eagles is remiss, in my opinion.

Footballers are competitive animals. Any professional athlete worth their salt will do anything they can within the rules of their specific sport to win. I don't like seeing it - hell, I bloody hate it - but until the AFL takes action on the issue it's a legitimate tactic that footballers of all clubs will - and frankly, if it goes unregulated, should - use. If Scott Selwood or Sam Mitchell or whoever else can draw a free kick that decides the game, why the bloody hell wouldn't he?

I was quite torn when Clarko aired his concerns about this after the loss to the Weagles. On the one hand, in an overarching sense, it is definitely something that warrants discussion within the football community... but the manner in which he brought it up - immediately after a nail biting lose, directed solely at the team which inflicted that defeat - caused him to come off as a bitter whinger.

In short: I watch players from every club do this week in and week out and I loathe it, especially when Hawthorn players do it. The AFL needs to take a good, hard look at this issue and find a way to bury it. I agree that it is almost the equivalent of diving in soccer.

However, singling out the Eagles makes you - like Clarko before you - look like a sore loser and actually belittles what is a very serious issue with our great game. ;)

Basically everything.

Not sure of the soccer analogy in the OP though, they go down with no contact. Players opening up their heads to be riped off is a little different :thumbsu:

Happened how many times? Twice? Three times maybe?

Your team have been doing this tactic over a few weeks now, and its prominent. You can't just turn a blind eye and point the finger elsewhere, doesn't cut the mustard.

LOL. You just lost all credibility. Clearly Clarkson was the one who made you aware of this. Its been happening for well over a season now with the Selwoods/Hams/Shuey

*rampant

Because of Alastair Clarkson, every time we win a free kick for high contact the accusations of ducking and knee-dropping fly from supporters of the other 17 clubs.

Exactly. This was never an issue until that whinger Clarksom said something. Now every time the opposition lay a weak tackle it's somehow our fault. Poor form people.
Teach your players how to tackle. Simple.

While there is a free kick paid for head high contact in the AFL, the smart teams will use this to their advantage.

It's not just the Eagles, every team has duckers/Knee-bucklers.. The Eagles stand out because they have mastered the art of it, and while the rules there, it's smart footy.

My biggest problem is young kids coming up through the juniors trying to emulate their hero's will be trying this. Someone is going to get hurt.

My solution to stop duckers is to pay a free kick against the ducker. You hear the umpires saying "You ducked into that, play-on" Instead, they should say "You ducked into that, free against you"

That would quickly stamp out duckers.
That's deadset *ed, and would make the problem much worse.

That is laughable. Have you ever ran anywhere in your life? Leaning forward is a way to build momentum and perpetuate your speed. It also keeps you lower to the ground so you will break tackles more easily. Cotchin runs normally and a lot like Gary Ablett, not so he can get in the back frees.

You're right. West coast players needed to get closer to Cotch which would mean a tackle on the side instead of I'n the back.

Most of these tackles are going high because players are trying to tackle the ball but they are out of position or off balance. Players are staying low I'n the tackle as it will a) get a free kick b) give you a solid base (being lower) to feed off the handball c) get off the mark faster again being lower. Luke Shuey did this today after the tackle went high I'n the WCE forward 50.

Richmond were very good today at not giving away the highs IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back