Movie Dune

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he would for sure do that with this movie, but I felt he kept very much to the pacing of the book. The epic battel sequence at the end would have gone on forever in most films but was over in the blink of an eye.

He is such a fanboi, I'm just not sure he is going to make fundamental changes to the tone of the books.

The book is pretty short, so he will need to add action sequences to provide a worthy runtime and movie experience.

I'm not really a 'hard sci-fi' fan, more a 'horror/sci fi' fan, but my then 15 year old wanted me to go with him to see the first one when it came out, so I got Gold Class tickets for us for xmas. I thoroughly enjoyed it, completely won me over. We re-watched it at home last week and I liked it even more. Went along to watch Part 2 last night, at a V-Max cinema and it was even better. Rebecca Ferguson stole the show for me, in both films.
If you can see it with Atmos audio, do it!

Absolute masterpiece if you are to be honest.

Easily one of the greatest sequels of all time.

Should absolutely obliterate next years Oscars.

DV take a bow. Sicario alone was enough to secure his legacy in my eyes, but based on the first two films, the Dune trilogy will stamp him as one of this centuries best film makers.

Now joins Quinten, Marty, PTA and Nolan as directors I will not miss an opening weekend, no matter what.

Last edited:

DV take a bow. Sicario alone was enough to secure his legacy in my eyes, but based on the first two films, the Dune trilogy will stamp him as one of this centuries best film makers.

Now joins Quinten, Marty, PTA and Nolan as directors I will not miss an opening weekend, no matter what.
Fair call

He has made some bloody great movies

Blade runner, sicario & prisioners are all amazing movies

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Blade Runner 2049 and Arrival too. Absolutely smashing it.

The fairest critcism i've seen is how underplayed Liet Kynes and the Arrakis restoration movement is. They basically completely ignored it to make the story simpler but it does tend towards it being more of your classic prophesized hero story leading under-autonomous followers without that element of the story.

I think this damages Chani's character as well, and it should be a major factor in the third movie, so not sure how they'll compensate for that.

I think this damages Chani's character as well, and it should be a major factor in the third movie, so not sure how they'll compensate for that.
Being a movie and not a book they left a bunch of stuff out. The film is basically the story as it relates to the Bene Gesserit.

I'd love more Mentats and Guild but it would have been 30 hours long had they tried to include everything.

Think Chani's character is way better in the film than the book.

The thing about Dune Messiah is that the jihad basically occurs in the background of the book and Frank Herbert consciously chose to avoid writing about any of the particular battles. It's very generalised in the sense that we know the Fremen are fighting on behalf of Paul elsewhere in the known universe, but the book concentrates on the efforts of the conspiracy to get rid of Paul. It's been a while since I've read the book, but in my opinion, the book acts as a bridge between Dune (which charts the rise of Paul to power) and Children of Dune/God Emperor of Dune (which chart the rise of Leto II to power and his eventual transformation in pursuit of the Golden Path).

I'm not sure that extending the films to cover Dune Messiah will necessarily result in a satisfying ending for the casual watcher, because (as someone else wrote earlier) Herbert didn't like to deal in neat little endings to his books. But there is plenty of scope for Villeneuve to expand the book into areas that weren't specifically covered in the book, and the ending of Dune Part II sets it up nicely for him.

The thing about Dune Messiah is that the jihad basically occurs in the background of the book and Frank Herbert consciously chose to avoid writing about any of the particular battles. It's very generalised in the sense that we know the Fremen are fighting on behalf of Paul elsewhere in the known universe, but the book concentrates on the efforts of the conspiracy to get rid of Paul. It's been a while since I've read the book, but in my opinion, the book acts as a bridge between Dune (which charts the rise of Paul to power) and Children of Dune/God Emperor of Dune (which chart the rise of Leto II to power and his eventual transformation in pursuit of the Golden Path).

I'm not sure that extending the films to cover Dune Messiah will necessarily result in a satisfying ending for the casual watcher, because (as someone else wrote earlier) Herbert didn't like to deal in neat little endings to his books. But there is plenty of scope for Villeneuve to expand the book into areas that weren't specifically covered in the book, and the ending of Dune Part II sets it up nicely for him.

The ending of Dune Messiah is not going to be a happy one - but then again unless it was totally redone the whole thing is a bit of a downer. Could end it pretty much as it is - there is a final battle, some hints about how dangerous Leto II is, then into the desert (wailing music and wide shots.......)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was actually a little frustrated that it so clearly set up a third film instead of leaving it feeling like a self-contained story which tied up the first novel.

Apparently the plan is just one more covering Dune Messiah and not the later ones.

Very good still of course, and DV and Zimmer did their usual thing. I actually thought the battle side could have been expanded a bit. Happened quite quickly. Can’t have everything though and it was already long.

Saw it today and really enjoyed it. There's more going on with the story than the first one. The action scenes are epic, combined with a huge soundtrack. The visuals are fantastic. It really feels like we are in that world rather than on a movie set.

On the negative side, the ending felt rushed although the movie felt too long. They could have cut out the Feyd-Rautha character and scenes completely without losing too much. The CGI for the crowds in the arena fight scenes were poor. I love Christoper Walken but thought he was miscast in this.

7/10
Disagree about cutting out the Feyd-Rauther stuff. He is the central antagonist of this part of the story which seems fairly necessary. Plus Austin Butler gives a super captivating performance. I thought the cuts to the black and white world of the Harkenen planet contrasted really well and helped widen the scope compared to Part One.

When you try and cram in so much story from the source material some things are always going to feel a bit rushed. Overall I thought they did a good job of keeping it coherent while cracking along at a good pace.

I noticed that bad CGI for the crowds too. Weirdly noticeable how they didn't look like people at all. Conversely, the aerial shot of Paul moving through the packed crowd of actual people (after he decides to lean into being the prophet) was one of my favourite parts.

Was actually a little frustrated that it so clearly set up a third film instead of leaving it feeling like a self-contained story which tied up the first novel.

Apparently the plan is just one more covering Dune Messiah and not the later ones.

Very good still of course, and DV and Zimmer did their usual thing. I actually thought the battle side could have been expanded a bit. Happened quite quickly. Can’t have everything though and it was already long.
Yep, but it's not a franchise unless you can do a trilogy and Paul's story hasn't ended yet.

Felt pretty self-contained to me tbh, I'd be happy enough if they left it there.

Obviously there are more books so you can't wrap everything up, but it definitely felt like a climax of sorts. The Harkonnens and the Emporer defeated.

Tough act to follow for the third installment.

Last edited:
My wife and I finally got a night free to ourselves and watched it on Sunday night at the movies and we both really enjoyed it, but definitely felt like it could have been significantly shorter. At the same time, my wife also said she didn't feel bored and could've watched another hour. In the end, we both agreed that it should've tried to fit more in, as it was pretty drawn out without really doing all that much.

What I loved:
  • the black and white scenes on Giedi Prime were visually stunning
  • the silence surrounding the final fight scene where the only sound was of them moving in combat
  • how the Fremen prepare for battle hiding in the sand (looks so awesome when they jump out)
  • the overall religious/political analog to our world
  • the surreal aspects around the talking fetus
  • Hans Zimmer's imposing score

What I didn't really like:
  • how one-note the Harkonnen are (all three of them just seem power-hungry with no other real motive)
  • the narrative was really simplistic (possibly a reaction to people saying the first movie was too confusing?)
  • lack of any real character development (outside of Paul) or real interactions between characters
  • Christopher Walken as the emperor didn't land for me at all

I thought the first film was an 8.5 out of 10, but the second was more a 7.5 kind of movie.

Definite improvement over the first movie. That movie was barely watchable. All my friends seem to think the same too.
I thought it ended at a strange point. Was pretty ballsy doing it without a firm commitment to a second part at the time.

I could imagine someone who didn’t have much background with the material thinking ‘wtf was that’.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back