Dustin Martin Contract Thread [GWS Will Not Offer Dusty a Contract]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was of the belief you can trade a player to any club and if he refuses to sign a deal he doesn't play football for a year. I think the rights to the player belong to the club but what can happen is no other teams offer to trade as a result of being unable to secure a contract....

Someone with the correct information would be great but I'm pretty sure we can trade him to whoever we please???

He has to agree to any trade made, if he doesn't then he either goes into the ND or PSD if he and Richmond want to part ways.

As he is un-contracted Richmond need to be careful to maximise his trade value to the club/s he is willing to play for or lose him for nothing.

The sit a year out only applies to drafting players.

Thomas is a free agent. It's a bit different... Daisy has done his time with the filth, played in a flag, rewarded the club for their investment.

True but he is also the second biggest name on the free agents list and you would think him saying that he wanted to explore options would have the media jumping all over it suggesting that Daisy had quit but no the media just reported the facts and left it at that, albeit a few have gone with the off to Carlton story. With Martin it was simply Martin quits Richmond, when the fact of the matter is that that hasn't happened at all. Like Thomas he is looking at what is out there, just like Riewoldt looked at what was out there before signing.

Think he belongs at GWS, there's f all players with any background there, he is it. They've got development down pat, and plenty of youth and picks if it has to get done. Won't cry if he goes there ( until he puts in 4q v Tigs) I will be spewing if any other club picks him up and hope we keep him, but don't want to be paying overs either, plenty of others to keep happy, and probably need to land a couple of good tall recruits ( Orren another year but...)

Hopefully Lids/Jack/Grigga and all the other boys are all over Dusty pleading with him to stay. Hard to tell your mates your off because unlike them you are not willing to sacrifice a few bucks. Lids signed for 500k and is a better player than Dusty.
Brandon Ellis signed for what he was offered and he is on the verge of being a better player than Dusty and Lids .

If the greedy goose wants 200k he can go get it elsewhere. Play for the jumper or gtfo

200k for the contract length of say 3 years.

It's not exactly greedy if other clubs offer it but we really should be able to keep who we draft. I'd happily pay $10 to keep him.

Its only Whaetley who said its off, and his track record with the Essendon saga leaves him with little credibility in my opinion.

That's very true.

But still. Why would the club willingly release an obviously provocative statement this morning if they had no intention of shopping dusty around? I think it was more our work than Carr's tbh

Good post RT

If we could get pick 2 then I'd pull the trigger as there will always be some risk with Martin and we could potentially double up using the money saved chasing a FA

However some of the abuse directed at Dusty is a bit ridiculous - he is party boy 22 year old with a egotistical celebrity agent whose tactic is to publically shop players in the media and drive a wedge between player and club (presumably to force a better deal). Dusty is just doing what he is told, he clearly is not a leader but that's ok it takes all sorts.

Pretty embarrassing if Richmond members are spewing hate onto his instagram account.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, they can't. He will not walk into the PSD. He will be traded because more than one club will offer us a deal for him.

Your scenario would make sense if the ONLY two clubs interested were Melbourne and GWS. But if ANY other club offered us something half decent for him and they were sitting there offering nothing because they want to pick him up in the PSD then it will not work.

In that scenario, why would the other club offer a fair trade? In that situation we will always lose would we not? Clubs surely only trade to win the trade?

Another question:
Can we agree to his contract to ensure that he doesn't walk to PSD and then make fair trade with GWS/Melbourne etc? Isn't there some issue where the new club must honour the existing contract?

Adams and pick 9 for Dusty is borderline

Dusty and 11 for Adams and 1 is about right IMO
I would be happy with either of those.
I'd be pumped if we got 1 and Boyd! His dad was my under 16s coach and I've known Tom since he was in year 6. Great kid and would never do what dusty is doing ATM

True but he is also the second biggest name on the free agents list and you would think him saying that he wanted to explore options would have the media jumping all over it suggesting that Daisy had quit but no the media just reported the facts and left it at that, albeit a few have gone with the off to Carlton story. With Martin it was simply Martin quits Richmond, when the fact of the matter is that that hasn't happened at all. Like Thomas he is looking at what is out there, just like Riewoldt looked at what was out there before signing.

Yeah fair enough. Dusty could still well do a cloke and re-sign after a protracted contract negotiations. But you must admit the club putting out a statement on Dusty exploring his options is a reasonable indication that he’ll walk for an offer above ours. Where there is smoke there is fire. If dusty really wanted to stay he’d have re-signed a long time ago...

I must say I do agree with everyone who suggests if he doesn't want to play for the jumper than we should get rid of him. It is hard because I have loved him as a player since the day he became a tiger and now it seems he is just going to turn his back on the club for a few dollars. I guess he doesn't realise that being a Tiger doesn't end after his playing career and that all supporters will respect and worship him for the rest of his days like Richo, instead he is being manipulated to focus on short term money. I honestly believe he will probably be broke, in jail or dead by the time he is 40 without Richmond, he needs us more than we need him.

Anyways I think we are actually in a good position to trade. While he could walk to PSD he would be guaranteed of going to GWS because as if they would pass up on him. If he goes to the draft he can't put a price on his head(?). This gives us huge leverage to trade with every other club than GWS. I really think we can push pick 2 and a player out of Melbourne.

Hey guys asked this on the main board thought i asked here as well.
Have just got home from work and heard about this that Richmond have withdrawn there offer to Martin.
And have yet to up there offer for Conca.
So far we have been told Conca has received offers from Freo and WCE and a third Melbourne club,(believed to be Melbourne)
with the other Melbourne club have offered the most money by quite a sum WCE next then Freo then Richmond.
Now with Martin could he be picked up in preseason for nothing by putting a price on his head ?
Dustin is in Perth right now and is speaking to WCE and Freo as well.

My question is this would it possible to trade for Conca then pick up Martin for free in the preseason draft ?
The timing is good for WCE as they now have the most money in there cap than they have had for a long long time.

Also Silvagni from GWS has said there not interested in Martin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back