Recommitted Dylan Stephens [re-signed for two years]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jye Caldwell (pick 11) went for two mid second round picks, with a third coming back. I feel like this is around where I value Stephens.

Personally I reckon WHE is a perfect example.

As is Jack Scrimshaw who was a former Pick 7 traded after his initial 2 year contract. Ultimately his value was a third round pick, with a fourth rounder coming back...

Honestly anything more than a future second, I would hope we aren’t keen.

Last edited:
If he nominares the pies a future 2nd will get the Stephens deal done. It will be a pick in the early 20's. Future 3rd or 4th for Lippa. We need at most 500 points for Daicos. Lynch, Seir and Cox would probably get us a couple picks around 50. We could trade out a future 3rd/4th (whatever we dont use for Lippa) for a current pick. Which gets us pretty close to the points we want for Daicos. If we go into deficit for Daicos its not the end of the world.
Gold Coast and Brisbane won't have many list spots to fill, so they won't be using their picks in the 40's/50's/60's. So we should offer up 36 and 39 for their later picks, which will get us pretty close to 2400 points without relying on any trades for Lynch, Sier, Cox, Thomas.

If NM bid on Daicos at #1, we'll have a small (insignificant) deficit for 2022, unless Dib costs us a bit as well. If the bid comes from GWS at #2, we'll be able to get Daicos plus Dib at 42 or later and not go into deficit.

Gold Coast and Brisbane won't have many list spots to fill, so they won't be using their picks in the 40's/50's/60's. So we should offer up 36 and 39 for their later picks, which will get us pretty close to 2400 points without relying on any trades for Lynch, Sier, Cox, Thomas.

The rules are supposedly changing back this year so that you'll need as many list spots as picks you want to utilise for points. Ways around that including delisting and re-drafting players, but it is also a consideration.

If NM bid on Daicos at #1, we'll have a small (insignificant) deficit for 2022, unless Dib costs us a bit as well. If the bid comes from GWS at #2, we'll be able to get Daicos plus Dib at 42 or later and not go into deficit.
I was told that you have to delist a player off your main list for every draft pick you take with you to the draft (after I suggested the same on the Collingwood board). So if we have too many picks in the 50's and 60's we will have to delist a lot of players. We already have 4 picks with points worth about 1700 points we need 500 more points to cover a pick 1 selection of Daicos. We would probably have to get about 10 picks if we started down trading our picks for points route, which would mean we will have to delist at least 10 players. Even more if we pick up players like Stephens.

I was told that you have to delist a player off your main list for every draft pick you take with you to the draft (after I suggested the same on the Collingwood board). So if we have too many picks in the 50's and 60's we will have to delist a lot of players. We already have 4 picks with points worth about 1700 points we need 500 more points to cover a pick 1 selection of Daicos. We would probably have to get about 10 picks if we started down trading our picks for points route, which would mean we will have to delist at least 10 players. Even more if we pick up players like Stephens.

Yep. You only get allocated enough picks for the empty spots on your list. You can definitely stock pile the picks but would have to move extras off the list to do so. If most of those picks get eaten up for 1 player you would then be left with filling those extra list spots with late junk picks, DFAs or a player in PSD.

There you go. I hadn't heard that. When did that change get brought in? I've been defensive of the move to trade out our 2021 first pick last year, but if this rule was known at that point it changes my perception of that decision.

So we've currently got 4 picks (36, 39, 41, 45) and 3 list spots (Mayne, Greenwood, Tohill). Potential to lose Thomas, Sier, Lynch, Cox, but also potential to add some of Lipinski, Stephens, Weideman, Naish. If this rule is legit, we're going to have to play some funny buggers anyway to be able to use our existing picks to pay for Daicos.

There you go. I hadn't heard that. When did that change get brought in? I've been defensive of the move to trade out our 2021 first pick last year, but if this rule was known at that point it changes my perception of that decision.

So we've currently got 4 picks (36, 39, 41, 45) and 3 list spots (Mayne, Greenwood, Tohill). Potential to lose Thomas, Sier, Lynch, Cox, but also potential to add some of Lipinski, Stephens, Weideman, Naish. If this rule is legit, we're going to have to play some funny buggers anyway to be able to use our existing picks to pay for Daicos.
Yeah - it was up in the air last year due to list size hold up with AFLPA.

Back to normal rules this year - can only use picks for list spots. Cal Twomey mentioned in one of his updates. I cant see Pies not having to trade "into" this year with future second for bulldogs second this year and Lipinski or something, wihtout a risk of greatly downgrading future first...

Yeah - it was up in the air last year due to list size hold up with AFLPA.

Back to normal rules this year - can only use picks for list spots. Cal Twomey mentioned in one of his updates. I cant see Pies not having to trade "into" this year with future second for bulldogs second this year and Lipinski or something, wihtout a risk of greatly downgrading future first...
Doggies have their own work to do to get enough points for Darcy, so you wouldn't expect us to get any 2021 picks out of them.

So cooked...add to this the commentary around our cap still being stuffed, and it looks like there'll be some sort of Maynard-type trade required to pull this all off.

Not sure when this was brought in. I was upset about losing our first this year because I felt our list managers only did it to try to save their jobs. I think the best way to cover the Daicos points is by using a player like Lynch and a next years pick say our future 3rd to get for example Geelongs late 2nd rounder (pick 34) and maybe their future 4th. This would cover the Daicos points with a single pick which means that we have to delist less players. We may still have to delist Rantall and Bianco and try to pick them up again in the draft late. This is going to be another interesting trading/draft period.

Last edited:
How do the Pies get Daicos, Lipinski and Stephens with the picks they have?
Future 3rd for 2021 3rd is enough points for a bid at pick 2 and that's before possibly flicking our 2021 pick 36/37 for later picks, with a higher point value.

Whomever we want more or whomever has the highest asking price in trade value, goes to the PSD at pick 2, ala carlton with Jack Martin. We'll offer what we can and if not good enough, PSD is out fall back option. Personally, I despise the PSD and think it should be scrapped, so if a player/club wanted to force their way out, they roll the dice in the ND. I'm thinking Stephens will have a greater price on his head. Lipinski, a VFL player mainly, doesn't have a high value and late pick should be enough to sort that one.

Not sure when this was brought in. I was upset about losing our first this year because I felt our list managers only did it to try to save their jobs. I think the best way to cover the Daicos points is by using a player like Lynch and a next years pick say our future 3rd to get for example Geelongs late 2nd rounder (pick 34) and maybe their future 4th. This would cover the Daicos points with a single pick which means that we have to delist less players. We may still have to delist Rantall and Bianco and try to pick them up again in the draft late. This is going to be another interesting trading/draft period.
I don't think you will get what you mentioned for Lynch.
However Melbourne did give up pick 31 for Press last year as insurance for Gawn
Last years straight trades. Games played in 2021 in brackets
Preuss (0) pick 31
Langdon (17) pick 54
Higgins (19) pick 30
Phillips (22) pick 65
Hind (22) pick 68 basically
Hogan (9) pick 54
others traded for picks in this draft 2021
Markov (17) R 3 Suns
Hartigan (19) R 4 Hawks
Peter Wright (21) R4 Bombers
Hannan (16) R3 Dogs

Only if he nominates.

Personally want him to sfay. Has a lot of weapons to build on and plenty of time left to develop.

I say him staying a Swan is the most Likely Outcome

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think you will get what you mentioned for Lynch.
However Melbourne did give up pick 31 for Press last year as insurance for Gawn
Last years straight trades. Games played in 2021 in brackets
Preuss (0) pick 31
Langdon (17) pick 54
Higgins (19) pick 30
Phillips (22) pick 65
Hind (22) pick 68 basically
Hogan (9) pick 54
others traded for picks in this draft 2021
Markov (17) R 3 Suns
Hartigan (19) R 4 Hawks
Peter Wright (21) R4 Bombers
Hannan (16) R3 Dogs
The key is that we need a pick in the late 30's to get the points we need for Daicos. Its a late 2nd and if we throw in Lynch and a future 3rd (probabaly about pick 40 next year we should get it done.

Basically

Lynch + pick 40 (future 3rd we will be close to bottom next year) for pick 34 + pick 50-60ish (worst case we don't get the pick 50-60)

I think rucks are in demand.

However worst case would be that we swap Lynch and pick 40 (future) for pick 34-40 this year. Anyway don't see why we wouldn't get it done there is quite a few teams who don't really want picks around 40 this year anyway. Richmond, Gold Coast and a few others.

It’s astonishing that Swans fans feel he’s still worth a first round pick. James Aish as an example, was far more accomplished in his 2 years at Brisbane, coming 4th in the rising star and having a terrific debut season. He was traded for 2 seconds.
Hoskin Elliott, a former pick 3, who had shown some real X factor at GWS but had injury issues, was traded for a second.
Stephens has done naff all to retain the value he was drafted at. If the swans are offered a future second they should take it and run. Frankly I’d be wary of offering even that much at this point.

Frankly, this Swans fan agrees! Was a disastrous selection and we should just move on.

Good news for the Swannies.

Suspect Collingwood's lack of trade capital this year was always going to be a big problem for the Pies, can't blame then for having a crack though.

I think Dawson and Hewitt asking to be Traded helped him Decide he would Stay as more spots are up for Grabs

Doggies have their own work to do to get enough points for Darcy, so you wouldn't expect us to get any 2021 picks out of them.

So cooked...add to this the commentary around our cap still being stuffed, and it looks like there'll be some sort of Maynard-type trade required to pull this all off.
We at least still have our first to split but yes will take some work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back