West Coast Eagles Priority Pick (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

This.

A simple change like that would resolve a lot of the problems - the inherent problem in particular of a second round pick for the wooden spoon side - which hadn't been traded or modified in any way and through no fault of the club at all - being pick 30.

In an uncompromised draft, there is a substantial difference between pick 19 and pick 30. Yes I know there is no guarantee of the pick 19 being a star or pick 30 being a dud, but clubs have been known to negotiate for days in player trades over differences of less than that.
So given that's not going to happen in 2024, will you just accept the priority pick?

when you win 3 spoons in a roll...eagles haven't really bottom out yet as they still haven't shed the veterans fully.

The only way we'll get priority picks is if the AFL thinks teams playing against us are getting massive percentage boosters and it throws out the 'integrity' of the comp.

I don't think we should get a priority pick, just like I thought North shouldn't have gotten that assistance package. We got ourselves into this mess, it should be up to the club to get themselves out of it.

Despite North giving it a crack, clearing out all your veterans isn’t how you rebuild. Thought you’d realise that six years later.

Errrr yes it is mate, you want me to spit out a few names? lol

6 years, looks like math isn't your thing.

Listening to Duffield today on SEN, he put forward that eagles deserve priority picks. I personally disagree with this but would like to hear opinions.
He kept mentioning Wardlaw and Sheezel as already top youth before they were handed the picks this year (which they are). The reason they got these two was because they traded there #1 pick player JHF for the picks too get those two picks, they took a gamble there has been plenty of duds with those picks.
Eagles won a premiership 5 seasons ago and between 2019-2020 could of traded players demanding close to those picks but they did not because they made the mistake of holding on too long. Sides have not won premierships in 60 + years and some not at all, West Coast already got handed some early with the AFL assistance. North lost a top 10 pick this year due to off field behaviour as well, 2019 there 5th pick mid season was there highest he amounted to nothing , 2020 there 3rd pick is playing vfl and there only ALL Australian of recent times was taken at pick 73.
Eagles need to dry there eyes and see if any of their members who probably have an automatic payment system set up that they forgot about in 89 don't cancel.
Why should they be rewarded for poor form and poor choices?

Boo *n hoo

Errrr yes it is mate, you want me to spit out a few names? lol

6 years, looks like math isn't your thing.
Not all at once. That’s why North have been rebuilding since 2018 and are still closer to the beginning than the end. It’s why Carlton and Melbourne’s rebuilds failed in the 2000s/10s. The club lacks leadership, the kids get smashed.

Suggesting the Eagles haven’t bottomed out because McGovern is helping hold the backline together is nonsense.

Not all at once. That’s why North have been rebuilding since 2018 and are still closer to the beginning than the end. It’s why Carlton and Melbourne’s rebuilds failed in the 2000s/10s. The club lacks leadership, the kids get smashed.

Suggesting the Eagles haven’t bottomed out because McGovern is helping hold the backline together is nonsense.

Ummmm, pardon me but i do recall melb winning a flag in 2021 and carlton in the top 4 last year.

You also said club lacks leadership, kids getting smashed. Ummm, that's exactly what's happening with your club right now, albeit still with the senior players like mcgovern, gaff, kelly, darling, yeo.

I'm not a fan of priority picks and would prefer no one get them, but when you finish stone motherless last and your second pick in the draft is number 30, then yeah, you probably deserve something. Not as a handout but as compensation for a compromised system where previous priority picks, academy selections and father-son picks make the draft inequitable as a means to rebuild.

The future second and third rounders offered to North a couple of seasons back as a means to gain higher early draft picks this time round would suffice.
clubs that had to rebuild through the GWS and Suns inception. didn't get any handouts, Pick 1, try pick 13, we got zero help during or after that period, openly mocked for our recruiting and trading, churned the list multiple times in the 10 years, surely a bigger club can do better without needing handouts, but surely the injury list is a huge factor clouding the picture.
The northern clubs are sick of hot housing talent for others unable to develop their own. Having some local talent who are more likely to stay is good for the game and the Clubs.
load of carp, no Northern club has lured vic talent north?
maybe the real issue is that poorly run clubs leek players.
you can never have players lured home if they never leave in the in first place

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't the Chris Judd priority pick enough? And Luke Shuey priority?

Weirdly not against it and the reason being the AFL will want the Tassie drafts to be all about them. Can you imagine Tassie holding whatever picks they are and WC have priority this and that. I’d give them the same as North got.

They are also supposedly putting a million plus deal for Taylor.

Didn’t they win a flag recently?

Its been 6 years. In another 2 to 3 years there likely will be none of that team left other than Sheed who is perma injured. Eagles have $7m in cap space opening up over the next three years. And your crying because all their stars are retiring?

You are obviously happy with grand final teams getting full academy access and quality kids every year? Plus free agents. Plus father sons. Plus quality players lining up to move to Sydney and Brisbane and Collingwood

Pretty hard to rebuild when the AFL system allows finals teams to just keep getting better with leg up after leg up.

But you have a sook because the 18th team is crap and has so few stars between 23 and 27 peaking to spend the salary cap on.

Last edited:
Weirdly not against it and the reason being the AFL will want the Tassie drafts to be all about them. Can you imagine Tassie holding whatever picks they are and WC have priority this and that. I’d give them the same as North got.
They can suck for a few more years before needing to worry about Tasmania.

Wasn't the Chris Judd priority pick enough? And Luke Shuey priority?

What picks did your mob pay for Nick Daicos again?

And Josh Diacos?

And Darcy Moore?

After the discounts.......etc etc etc.

Nice leg up there from the AFL father son rules looking after the traditional clubs far, far more often than other clubs.

Collingwood has had its lick of the icecream. They just won a flag with three father sons.

People get all worked up about priority picks. You dont need to give picks to help.

How about allowing the bottom two or three sides to bid on any of their academy kids from pick 20 instead of 40?

Then at least if a bid came in at say 21 they could still use their 2nd rounder that has pushed out to 30 on a bid closer to the natural pick 19.

It doesnt get any fairer than that people.

Some sides would wish for a spine of Barrass, McGovern, Kelly, Darling, Allen.....

Four of those players are well past their peak and will be gone in 2 or 3 years. And anyone over 31 pretty much has their papers stamped if they played their entire careers in WA. The travel takes years off careers.

That spine will never play another final.

I don't have massive sympathy for West Coast as they should have traded pick 1 last year and get 2 top 10 picks and possibly more in return.

Eagles split the 2023 pick 2 into picks 9 and 12 that was dilluted down further to 10 and 14.

They split their 2022 1st into pick 14 and a F 2nd.

They likey will split their 2024 1st IMO. They offered their 2024 1st for pick 7 to land Curtin.

Harely was simply too good to pass on in 2023.

That is what teams have to do when they dont get gifted priority academy access EVERY YEAR.

Entitled Swans supporters.......give us a break.

No more priority picks for anyone, ever. I hope that no one at our club asks for priority when/if Richmond have a run at the bottom.

NSW and Queensland teams should keep their academies but should be restricted in the amount of elite talent they can bring in. For example, one first round bid every 5 or 6 years but unlimited 2nd round or below bids.

Oh, and more 20% discount bullshit for F/S and academy picks. Full price should be paid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back