Eddie Betts is officially... South Australian?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't he playing at the Calder Cannons at 17?
The last set of roigin rules were the majority of time in the "formative" years, I thought that was between 10 and 16 which would make him WA. If its between 10 and 17, as stated avbove, he's probably SA - depending on exact dates. Under none of the SoO rules used would he be Victorian qualified.

I know that.

I'm just confused as to the link between the Cannons and Bulleen which is in Oakleigh Chargers territory bordering on Northern Knights.
I sort of remember a newspaper story on him at the time, i think he was living in the Cannons zone but playing at Bulleen because the person who brought him over from WA was involved there.

The rule was where you spent the most time between the ages of 10 and 17. Which would make Eddie a SA representative.
If that was the criteria used then Charlie Cameron should have had QLD printed on his back due to living in Mornington Island (QLD) and Brisbane between the ages of 10-17. However, he had WA printed on his back...

If that was the criteria used then Charlie Cameron should have had QLD printed on his back due to living in Mornington Island (QLD) and Brisbane between the ages of 10-17. However, he had WA printed on his back...
That is an odd one. If SoO came back it looks like he would be Qld (unless they change the rules again; but under any of the old rules he would be Qld (under the 1977 to roughly1992 rules he would be both Qld and WA).

I'm guessing for the sake of a fund-raiser, and not a true SoO match, it didn't matter much which state unless Vic was a possibility. And is SoO won't be allowed to happen, fixing up such matters isn't going to be a priority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back in day when SoO was taken seriously the criteria was the state you played your first “league” game in. 1986 Vic v WA we (WA) had Leon Baker a Victorian who played his 1st league game for Swan Districts. We also had Maurice Rioli from the NT as he first played for South Freo. Victoria conversely had Brian Taylor born and bred in Mandurah WA play FF for Victoria ( he was recruited at 16y) WA won by a couple of points in a great game for those who may have been wondering.

Back in day when SoO was taken seriously the criteria was the state you played your first “league” game in. 1986 Vic v WA we (WA) had Leon Baker a Victorian who played his 1st league game for Swan Districts. We also had Maurice Rioli from the NT as he first played for South Freo. Victoria conversely had Brian Taylor born and bred in Mandurah WA play FF for Victoria ( he was recruited at 16y) WA won by a couple of points in a great game for those who may have been wondering.
Wayne Carey said he thought of himself as South Australian because that's where he started playing league football and wanted to play for SA in the 90's-95s SoO, thats why there was a rule change in the 90's to make sure he became an 'Allies' player

apparently also wanted to come back and play for the Crows but got turned away because the Crows thought they had Kernihan in the bag but it fell through (ie some brown paper bags from Carlton) but by then Carey had signed with North again

Wayne Carey said he thought of himself as South Australian because that's where he started playing league football and wanted to play for SA in the 90's-95s SoO, thats why there was a rule change in the 90's to make sure he became an 'Allies' player

apparently also wanted to come back and play for the Crows but got turned away because the Crows thought they had Kernihan in the bag but it fell through (ie some brown paper bags from Carlton) but by then Carey had signed with North again
Hmm I didn’t know that. I’m sure if SoO came back, the AFL would purposely keep any criteria very close to their chests a bit like their compensation rules re restricted free agents etc.😉

Br interesting to know what tribe Eddie aligns himself with, e.g Byron Pickett is a Noongar., moved to Ceduna around 10 -11.
Eddie is actually Eddie Betts the third , his fathers and grandfather were both South Australian Ceduna /Pt. Lincoln .
most aboriginals from that area are Kolkatha/Wirangu /Mirning tribes .
Not sure if Byron went to Ceduna for a year or so before heading to Port Lincoln but went to school in Lincoln and played junior footy with Mallee Park there .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back