Emmanuel Macron, President of the French Republic

Remove this Banner Ad

Le Pen's economic policies are surprisingly progressive or even dare i say it, left wing. She just sprinkles in the standard right wing xenophobia.

Look at Trump, he ran with a lot of traditionally left wing economic policies. Regulate wall street, protectionist trade policy, no cuts to social safety net etc.

Now in office he has just shown they were simply a bait and switch to get disenfranchised middle class people to vote for him. He had no intention to ever be anything other than a standard establishment Republican.

The same with Le Pen, whether she actually implements those left wing policies or is just using them as her trojan horse to implement the xenophobic agenda on immigration, is the real question.

The mistake people do with populist is ever using their stated policies to judge them, they just say what they think will get them elected, and anything they say are subject to change, what they say their policies are mean nothing

Does this have to be yet another thread on Islam? We all know when it comes to religion, people have quite ridiculous (and often quite deliberate) blind spots.
the second paragraph has nothing to do with anything I wrote, but carry on as you will.
?

You said "This is a heck of a short thread for such a big issue" and a couple of us suggested the lack of direct access to English-language participants is probably related. The first such response was said in jest. Mine was said more seriously.

None of which stops you from responding to my query on fascism, so the intent of the above one-liner is lost on me.

It took how many years for homosexuality to be legal? versus 40 year difference? That's nothing in the scheme of things.

40 years and counting is a big difference. Appealing to history and the scheme of things is just an attempt to minimise a large problem. Everything looks insignificant in 'the scheme of things'.

By the way, you may want to look into some countries that have legalised homosexuality. One of them is Turkey. You know, that majority muslim state? And only 13 countries in the world have the death penalty (13 too many).

I didn't claim that all Muslim countries have banned homosexuality.

40 years and counting is a big difference. Appealing to history and the scheme of things is just an attempt to minimise a large problem. Everything looks insignificant in 'the scheme of things'.
40 years over thousands is not a big difference. And you have to take into account how long it took society to accept homosexuality, not just when it accepted it and why hasn't another part of society accepted it.
I didn't claim that all Muslim countries have banned homosexuality.

Really? You're going to stick with that answer like Peter Dutton?

Islam laughs at fighting gay rights. Homosexuals in Islamic countries are simply done away with.

40 years over thousands is not a big difference.

As I said earlier, appealing to history and the scheme of things is just an attempt to minimise a large problem. Everything looks insignificant in 'the scheme of things'. We could go on dismissing any array of problems by reference to the 80 thousand years or so where they were much much worse.

Really? You're going to stick with that answer like Peter Dutton?

Did you really need me to throw in a #notallmuslimmajoritycountries in there?

Did you really need me to throw in a #notallmuslimmajoritycountries in there?
Or just don't make serious accusations in the first place, if they aren't true.

Western nations still have politicians alluding to bestiality and pedophilia when talking about homosexuality. Gay marriage legislation victories often have substantial opposition. The idea that there is something 'inherent' in Islam that makes it worse than other very conservative religions is scare-mongering.

Either that or don't throw such general statements around and be more specific like someone with a brain.

Since you like quoting me so much.

The death penalty exists for homosexuals in about 11 countries, all Islamic. There are anti-gay laws in 76 countries, many of which are also Islamic. Then there's the reason speight of hardline Islamism in the sub-continent in particular which has targeted homosexuals amongst other groups, or the gay concentration camps in Chechnya which have recently emerged. The situation in Islamic states* is still appalling and widespread.

*not all

Because Christianity/Catholicism aren't political at all. Remind me again about Gay Marriage and why we don't have it yet?

That's not what I'm saying. Islam is a political religion which sets out what a complete society should and can look like in every aspect - hence Sharia Law. Christianity does no such thing.

Le Pen's economic policies are surprisingly progressive or even dare i say it, left wing. She just sprinkles in the standard right wing xenophobia.

Look at Trump, he ran with a lot of traditionally left wing economic policies. Regulate wall street, protectionist trade policy, no cuts to social safety net etc.

Now in office he has just shown they were simply a bait and switch to get disenfranchised middle class people to vote for him. He had no intention to ever be anything other than a standard establishment Republican.

The same with Le Pen, whether she actually implements those left wing policies or is just using them as her trojan horse to implement the xenophobic agenda on immigration, is the real question.

This is because there is no such thing as left and right.

That's not what I'm saying. Islam is a political religion which sets out what a complete society should and can look like in every aspect - hence Sharia Law. Christianity does no such thing.

This is because there is no such thing as left and right.
Our laws and political ideologies come from Christianity. Your bigotry is blind

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been over the difference between the two in two different threads very recently, where it was actually the topic. I'm sure you can find them.
Current western society is based on these. You cannot deny it, otherwise you are nothing but a bigot.

Current western society is based on these. You cannot deny it, otherwise you are nothing but a bigot.

That does not make them the same. You should be very thankful that Christian principles, rather than Islamic law, is the basis for your society, otherwise your precious liberalism would not exist at all.

This is the fundamental dilemma France is facing.

That does not make them the same. You should be very thankful that Christian principles, rather than Islamic law, is the basis for your society, otherwise your precious liberalism would not exist at all.

This is the fundamental dilemma France is facing.
Why should I be thankful that there are Christian principles? I'm not religious, therefore I don't want their principles. This is how we have our current society, we stand up to the oligarchy and change their shitty Christian based laws. They are one and the same.

And until the 1970s being gay was illegal in Australia. Hell, a lot of gay men had to go through "therapy" in the UK to supposedly make them not gay. All it did was kill them instead.

Homosexuality only became legal in all states in the mid 1990's (tassie off memory was the last to repeal its laws)

Why should I be thankful that there are Christian principles? I'm not religious, therefore I don't want their principles. This is how we have our current society, we stand up to the oligarchy and change their shitty Christian based laws. They are one and the same.
Your society is based on Christian principles.

Interesting our media covers French elections but refuses to.mention the elephant in the room of whats driving the popularity of the fringe parties - ie the horror that is Islam
Pretty sure that has been covered half to death. Maybe you should read, or should I say, read the entire article and not only what you want to see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back