Essendon 2017 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably the big unknown of 2017. Three weeks ago I quickly snapped up a bet of $200 with a mate that Saints would finish above Essendon. Now I think maybe I was hasty, on paper the list is pretty good.

Still my gut feeling is that after a year out of the game, all those players will not just come back and switch on. There are mental scars and physical memory loss, not to mention new game plans and wary opposition. Top 12 would be a good result I think.

As long as we finish above north and collingwood I am happy. Which we probably will.

Not sure how people can be so sure about Essendon not making finals, making finals etc. This situation is unprecedented, im leaning towards our returning players needing a year to settle back in, grasp the gameplan fully, and mesh with the existing players. Having said that these are experienced players that were training basically while they were suspended. We definitely won't win the flag, but can finish in the lower rungs of the eight or under. As an Essendon fan, its great that finally we can enter a season with just footy on our minds. The list is building nicely.

Guy went to another level fitness wise last season and had a fantastic season, Still struggles with the tag though so hopefully he get a little less attention with Jobe and Hep back.

He's gone to another level of fitness already this pre season and in his best condition at senior level yet, I really think 2017 will be his career year, He's already had a season where he kicked 30+ from the middle rotating through half forward, I genuinely see him reaching these numbers again.

Like you said he has AA level football in him he just needs to find that consistency, Easily one of our most damaging players when he's in full swing.

One to watch, 2017 the year of the Greek.

In 2014 when Salem kicked the winning goal just before the siren Zaka destroyed us
Had 30+ and kicked 3 or 4 goals.. put us to the bloody sword. Guys extremely talented

In 2014 when Salem kicked the winning goal just before the siren Zaka destroyed us
Had 30+ and kicked 3 or 4 goals.. put us to the bloody sword. Guys extremely talented
That's the thing, he doesn't do it enough though. As said, really struggles with the tag. He started 2016 in as good a run of form as Z.Merrett, but gradually fell back to the pack while Zach kept having great games nearly every week.

It's finding that level consistently which is his challenge.

I've got no idea. Cautiously optimistic that we can challenge for the lower part of the 8 but no real confidence. Agree that the fwd line is WIP and we're lacking superstar midfielders (Merrett in the future maybe aside) but it seems as a club we've always lacked that. Even in the 90s/early 2000s we had Misiti, Johnson etc, not exactly your Buckley/RHarvey/Judds of the world. Hird floated around doing whatever he wanted so I don't class him as a pure mid like the others.

I get the sense that it's going to be unpredictable and entertaining though and at worst we should see more development of Daniher, Merrett, Fantasia, Parish, Francis, Langford, Laverde, McGrath et al

Essendon have the fourth most experienced and fifth oldest list in the league.

That's an age profile for teams that should be in contention, not less developed than a team like Melbourne who are bottom 4 in the league for both age and experience.

Not sure what that says about Essendons list? Obviously the forward line needs some fixing but maybe there is also a lack of quality midfielders in their "prime" which doesn't bode well for the modern game. Heppel is probably the only decent midfielder on the list aged between 22 and 32.

You forgot Merret,Parish,McGrath. We have more midfield talent then just Heppel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be giving finals a nudge this year - that would be the aim given they re-signed most.

I think internally they'd be looking for top 4.

Aiming for and achieving are two different things

Genuinely believe that the game has passed the suspended players by. They'll still finish anywhere from 12th to dead last

Roughead is 10 times the player on any afl clubs list, especially Essendon's.
O'Meara has been playing possum all of 2016 to prime himself for his best year ever in 2017

:D

So trolling then. Ok.

I think they well find the going pretty tough initially but improve game by game and finish strongly. Will lose a few close ones which will leave them with about 10 wins.

But I would not be surprised if they made finals, nor if the finished bottom 6. Which isn't a hedging of bets, it is a lack of a handle on where they are at.

You forgot Merret,Parish,McGrath. We have more midfield talent then just Heppel.

I didn't forget them - I specifically mentioned midfielders in their prime (McGrath hasn't played a game yet) and gave an age rage where you lack quality midfielders (22-32), those 3 are all under 22.

My question was about the balance of the list going forward - that group (plus Heppel) will be a good midfield in a few years time, and your KPP should still be around then, but you will need to replace the likes of Watson and Goddard while also fixing up other areas like your forward line.

Anyway, I think that probably means the list is mid table based on talent for 2017.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back