Club Focus Essendon 2019

What is the biggest priority at Essendon?

• Key forwards

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Key defenders

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Big mids

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Ruck division

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Lore

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
We. Are. Essendon. We are Ess-en-don.

This is a Dons-specific version of the player contracts & statistics spreadsheet pinned to the top of this forum. It summarises your players' contract situations, experience, ages and heights. The data is from footywire, and the spreadsheet will update itself when footywire is updated. It may contain some errors, I do not have the ability to update them so we just have to deal with what footywire gives us. It's the best we can do for the moment.

According to this data, Essendon are:
- 11th tallest, averaging 188cm
- 10th heaviest, averaging 86kg
- 4th oldest with an average age of 24.4 years
- 14th most experienced, averaging 62.2 career games

Our picks in the first five rounds of the 2019 national draft are:
2nd round pick (tied to Essendon - currently pick 27)
2nd round pick (tied to GWS - currently pick 33)
3rd round pick (tied to Essendon - currently pick 45)
4th round pick (tied to Essendon - currently pick 63)
4th round pick (tied to Fremantle - currently pick 65)
5th round pick (tied to Essendon - currently pick 81)

To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

We'll have four players over 30 by the end of the year, but two of those are in the VFL and out of contract. Mostly we have a big heap of 25-27 year olds running around, so the higher average age is not really a big issue for us.

The greatest problem I think, is in the ruck division. We finished last year's recruitment season with five ruckmen, three of whom were on the rookie list. Bellchambers has been our #1 ruck all year, but he'll be 30 in a couple of days. McKernan is a bit undersized in the ruck, he's gone forward to plug holes created by injury this year and done quite well there. On the rookie list we've had one retire from repeated injuries (Lavender), one did an ACL (Draper) though the reports are that St Kilda is trying to poach him anyway, and the other guy, Zac Clarke, is clearly not up to scratch (desperate times...).

Outside of that we may need a bit more cover in the tall divisions, given we couldn't keep the KPDs on the park last year and this year the KPFs are down for the count. And we can always use another inside mid.

Anyone want to have a stab at who retires, who is traded, and who is re-signed?

Do you see the gaps a little differently than I do? How should we look to fill those gaps, via trade or from the draft?

What will it take to get it all done, given the current trade and draft value on hand?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

adammania9

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
What Essendon have going for them is that they don’t have any upcoming retirements for a few years of important players that they need to replace. They have 3 or 4 years at least to get things right and have a go at winning a premiership.

They’ve invested big in trades over the last couple of years, this year they need to look for value and throw their hat into the ring by targeting Brodie and Patton just off the top of my head. I also reckon they should bring back Paddy Ryder on the cheap if he agrees to move.

I don’t like the Jack Martin link at all. It’ll cost them more than you’d think and I doubt he improves them at all. If they want to spice up the forward line, I reckon Riley Knight is better defensively and would be much cheaper.

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham, Bayern, Milan
4th oldest, 14th most experienced.....ffs

List of priorities;
1 - height. Need a ruck and another tall equally at home forward as he is rucking.
2- Small forward. Raz stays or goes, more creativity and tackling pressure when the ball comes to ground is required.
3 - A mid. Depth isn't great and there aren't a whole lot of kids coming through. Not sure the contested beast is that big a problem that you trade the farm away, but depth in the inside would be handy.

Retirements: Z.Clarke, Baguley. Possibly Myers but could stay on as back up whilst coaching the kids at VFL. Lavender has already retired
Delistings: Long, Dea, McNiece.
Trades: Draper may take the Saints cash. Hartley may look for opportunity. Fantasia will carry a ? mark every season now.

Moves;
Draper to Saints for 2019 2nd.
Saints and Dons 2019 2nd into Dons 2019 1st from GWS
Greenwood/Brodie/Sier via trade or Ellis via Free Agency.
1 of Sean Darcy, Darcy Cameron, Archie Smith or Nicholls via trade or FA plus 1 of Ladhams or Frampton. Primarily to play forward, but as further depth in the ruck division

In addition to getting Smith and Daniher back from injury

Potential best 22
B Gleeson Hooker Hurley
HB McKenna Ambrose Saad

C Darcy Parish Heppell
Merrett Shiel Smith

HF Fantasia Daniher Tippa
F Laverde Bellchambers Stringer

B Francis McGrath Redman Brodie/Sier/Greenwood

E: Langford, Guelfi, D Clarke

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
What Essendon have going for them is that they don’t have any upcoming retirements for a few years of important players that they need to replace. They have 3 or 4 years at least to get things right and have a go at winning a premiership.
Cale Hooker has to slow down soon and he'll be a huge loss

Red Black and Blue

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Won't lose his contested marking nor his general footy smarts. I reckon he'll still be around and playing good footy for another 2 or 3 years at least.
Yeah it’s one of those instances where a players flaws can be exposed by the rest of the team not being up to scratch, but still be a weapon when everyone else is capable aka Hawkins before half way through last year.

HTPunter

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In terms of the other way, I think there are 2 big list areas clubs should raid - Richmonds small forwards and Essendons half backs.

Saad, McKenna, Redman, Ridley, Gleeson. You've got McGrath and Guelfi who have versatility but can play there.

At least 1 and probably 2 will find it difficult to be in a full strength Essendon side. All should get a chance at AFL level. Considering Saad and McKenna are safe, surely another one can be pried away for games (would be Ridley most likely but maybe Redman if salary comes into it, not just games opportunity).. Redman discussing a new contract but does his last month encourage another club to up an offer?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Red Black and Blue

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
In terms of the other way, I think there are 2 big list areas clubs should raid - Richmonds small forwards and Essendons half backs.

Saad, McKenna, Redman, Ridley, Gleeson. You've got McGrath and Guelfi who have versatility but can play there.

At least 1 and probably 2 will find it difficult to be in a full strength Essendon side. All should get a chance at AFL level. Considering Saad and McKenna are safe, surely another one can be pried away for games (would be Ridley most likely but maybe Redman if salary comes into it, not just games opportunity).. Redman discussing a new contract but does his last month encourage another club to up an offer?
Ridley is being played middle and half forward at VFL level. They’ll fit.

Top Bottom