Preview Essendon vs Port Adelaide- Docklands, 07/07/13, 4:40 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the site, so forgive me if this comment is in the wrong place or an existing discussion exists!
I was wondering how people feel about the Gumbleton, Daniher issue particularly now that Crameri is out.
Any chance both could play?

Opening Lineup:

FF. Davey Gumbleton Winderlich
HF. Hurley Daniher Kommer
M. Heppell Watson Melksham
HB. Dempsey Hooker Hibberd
FB. Baguely Carlisle Fletcher
Foll. Ryder Goddard Stanton
Int. Zaharakis, Howlett, Myers, Colyer (sub)

Ins. Fletcher, Daniher, Gumbleton
Outs. Pears, Bellchambers, Crameri (inj)

If in trouble later in the game, there is always the Hurley/Carlisle switch, whilst Gumbleton could be subbed for a smaller, quicker player.

FF. Davey Daniher Winderlich
HF. Myers Carlisle Kommer
M. Heppell Watson Melksham
HB. Dempsey Hooker Hibberd
FB. Baguely Hurley Fletcher
Foll. Ryder Goddard Stanton
Int. Zaharakis, Howlett, Colyer, Gumbleton (subbed out)
Think you've pulled Colyer from somewhere, not sure where?? Perhaps you mean Merrett.

Anyway, this is Stefan, his name is Stefan, harden the fcuk up Stefan

Bellchambers needs to stay in and ruck 60% of the game. We need to make sure Ryder is managed well until the end of the year and bigger games.

Ins : Gumbleton, Colyer, Fletcher
Outs : Crameri (inj), Pears, Merret

Yes correct, TBC will get another chance like most of the other players this year, Gumbleton deserves it more than Daniher, fletch needs to get back and Merret back to the twos. Although i think Kav, Jetta and Colyer could all come in for him.

Did i read somewhere Kav got injured at the weekend ?

We've got to-do what Richmond did to them, destroy them in the first quater, then do enough to match them for the rest of the game.

From what I've heard, when Port were crushing Collingwood in the final term, they were dominating the clerances. We have to win that.
Bringing in Gumby to prove himself. He'll either fail, or kick 8.

While this is a danger game for us, port haven't won at Etihad this year (their one game there was a 3goal loss to the blues [29 scoring shots to 21])

The beat the swans at AAMI, and Collingwood who are not in great form.

Away wins for port are against Melbourne, Gold Coast, GWS.
while other away games they have lost to North, and the Bulldogs.

If they can beat us it will be easily their best away win for the year, and on the other side we really do not have any excuses for losing to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be unimpressed if Merrett got dropped, late in the match some of his bodywork in keeping his opponent away and making a marking contest when our other small fwds would most likely fall over helped get us at least 2 goals. The team only registered 4 tackles for the match inside our F50 and considering one small fwds role seems to be this or poorly tagging opposition running defenders, I think they [cough Kommer] should be having a spell before him.

Would be unimpressed if Merrett got dropped, late in the match some of his bodywork in keeping his opponent away and making a marking contest when our other small fwds would most likely fall over helped get us at least 2 goals. The team only registered 4 tackles for the match inside our F50 and considering one small fwds role seems to be this or poorly tagging opposition running defenders, I think they [cough Kommer] should be having a spell before him.

Yeah i was impressed with his bodywork as well. That one when he drew the free against Butler was really clever work, much like stanton against the blues, recognized he was running under it and pushed back to draw the free. Really clever work, really clever player.

Kommer, Davey and Merrett all in the starting 21 is a bit much though IMO, would be much more comfortable with one of the three as the sub, as opposed to an inside type like Myers, especially with Buddha out of the side for the time being.

Hey bomber fans. Been reading this thread and its great to see my club is earning a bit of respect again. But you guys really need to start believing in yourselves. You have a great team that is a real chance this year and going all the way, whereas port, for all their improvement is really just aiming for a real chance of gaining respect in the comp.

That said, general observations from what's been said here are as follows.

Butcher really is a spud. We should have let him go back to Melbourne after those few great games. Would have gotten a top pick.

Wingard got tagged for the first time last Saturday, nup I didn't notice either. I'd focus more on tagging a guy that is troubled by taggers like boak or hartlett

Ports game plan is based around pressure footy, we will jump all over your skill errors. But that's the thing, you guys have been top notch in the skill department.

Lastly, this port team isn't too fast. I'm not sure the closed roof will suit is too much anymore. We used to play real well there, but I do fear our biggest weakness still being our skills will be found out there.

Positives for port is that we are dam fit. Will keep coming at you till that final siren sounds. I reckon you'll be in front by about 30-40 points by 3 quarter time, then end up getting up by 25 after a late scare. I have hope of us winning some more big games this year, but don't think this will be one of them.

Good luck and I hope im wrong and we flog ya!!

Although Port doesn't have great depth at a squad level, their midfield depth in their 22 runs very deep and is quite high on quality. Boak, Hartlett, Wines, Ebert, Gray, Wingard (favourite non-Essendon player for mine), Cornes, Broadbent, Monfries, Moore can all run through there. Not all of them are elite but all are at minimum playing very good football atm.

Their defence is solid and will only improve with Jonas going to the 3rd tall now that Trengove is back (I really like how Jonas is developing). Their forward line can easily create mismatches depending on where Westhoff is played.

At the end of the day I think we should win but when comparing best 22, Port can not be underestimated at all. Them beating Sydney and Collingwood is the best thing that could've happened as it means we will be approaching this as a massive danger game.

Jonas is a player that gets under everyone's radar. He is a rock solid defender.

He's been much improved this year ala Baguley for us. I like him

Should be a good game and I will be there cheering on Port and probably listen to some loudmouth Essendon mates I'm going with :D
On a serious note though, I think this is shaping up to be a really good, frantic game. The positive for you guys is that we're playing at Etihad which is a bit of an Achilles heel for us recently. So based on that, I will have Essendon as favourites to win. But if Port bring their A-game, I wouldn't be surprised if we come away with the result

The problem for Port in this game IMO is that our greatest strengths as a side (good skills, willingness to take the game on, excellent fitness) are also Essendon's greatest strengths as a side. When we played Sydney and Collingwood, who are generally more contested teams, we were able to match them for intensity and hurt them on the counter attack with our skills and gutrunning. I can't see that working against Essendon, because Essendon's skills and gutrunning are ahead of Port's at this stage in the development of both sides. I think you guys would have to play below your best if Port have a chance of winning this game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back