ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Makes a few blues, but geez he’s developed into a very, very, very good player. He’s tough as nails, never shirks, creates time, has good skills, and is the forgotten man by the supporters, but whose name would be one of the first on the board each week. That kick off the outside of his boot that landed on Fyfe’s (I think) chest was a thing of beauty.
He’s been the whipping boy in the past, and still pegged as one to be dropped if we had our full compliment of players available, but I think he’s the incumbent until someone forces him out.
I think he’s great! 😍
(Searched for a Hughes thread but couldn’t find one, so please merge if there is... or don’t. He deserves a new one imo 😉)

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
He's one of my favourites and I've always defended him against the mob mentality that forms every now and then. People get so hung up on the occasional mistake they don't notice the positives some players bring to the team.

It's beyond me how anyone can watch him go back with the flight and take those marks like he's done since day one and not think the guy has something valuable to offer. He's tough as nails and despite the occasional mistake he's much more tidy with the ball than people give him credit for.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
He's one of my favourites and I've always defended him against the mob mentality that forms every now and then. People get so hung up on the occasional mistake they don't notice the positives some players bring to the team.

It's beyond me how anyone can watch him go back with the flight and take those marks like he's done since day one and not think the guy has something valuable to offer.

my favouRite moments are when he destroys midfielders one on one in contests. He left a couple last absolutely shattered. He’s a big body.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
He’s a smart player. Reads the ball well, can match up on talls but fast. Never understood the criticism either. He never shirks the contest, he offers a lead off half back. He has been huge alongside Ryan holding the fort down back.

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

It's beyond me how anyone can watch him go back with the flight and take those marks like he's done since day one and not think the guy has something valuable to offer. He's tough as nails and despite the occasional mistake he's much more tidy with the ball than people give him credit for.
100% same here. I remember one time on the wing at Subi, right in from of where I sat, he went in three times in tough scraps, just kept going, muscling out his opponents, eyes only for the ball, won it, booted inside 50, 40m out right in front into Pav’s outstretched arms. Boom - goal. I’ve always been a fan, and I think he’s the most courageous player at the club. Needs more love! 😁

Aug 10, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think it was late in the third against Hawthorn last year, he kicked into the man on the mark, we were only a goal down, then they kicked an easy goal and overran us, I cursed his name and those of his descendents.

But his performance this year has been first rate. Not sure if maturity or new coach, but he’s been excellent.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
I think it was late in the third against Hawthorn last year, he kicked into the man on the mark, we were only a goal down, then they kicked an easy goal and overran us, I cursed his name and those of his descendents.

But his performance this year has been first rate. Not sure if maturity or new coach, but he’s been excellent.
Oh. That moment. He took a hanger over that man too. Huge mark. Panicked and got smothered in the kick after that

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
Was good last year for one shocking *-up in a match, but was solid beyond that.

Seems like he's worked that out of his game, and would be hard done by to not be a genuine B22 player. Not a star, but gets the job done.

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Been saying it for about three years now...

Attachments

• 60C58F5D-B780-48C6-9234-72D0F90226EA.png
    60C58F5D-B780-48C6-9234-72D0F90226EA.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 242
Nov 7, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I love Hughes and I'm sure he'd be a favourite of any coach he plays for.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but could Ethan be one of the first to graduate from the Freo Bigfooty annointed "dumb arse" brigade to (mostly) fan favourite?

Developed into a solid, dependable member of the back 6. Might be on the border of being B22 next year, but would have to be the first defensive reinforcement if he's not
Was good last year for one shocking fu**-up in a match, but was solid beyond that.

Seems like he's worked that out of his game, and would be hard done by to not be a genuine B22 player. Not a star, but gets the job done.
to lean off what Duffield has said, he was good last year for one category 5 *-up, it was always approaching on catastrophic.
Two nominees in one photo I think.

Hard as nails.
Been saying it for about three years now...
i still can't believe Viney just got up from that unaffected

Back