European Super League/Expanded Champions League Format Discussion

Would you favour the idea of a New European super league as reported?

• Yes

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • No

Votes: 139 82.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 12 7.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Voting for the big6 to be removed from the epl is shooting yourself in the foot somewhat too.

It'd take the gloss off england as much as losing Rm would hurt the CL
Yeah no doubt, but it would recover given 10-20 years, new powers would emerge. If a club like Everton (My club bias) were to go on to win 5-6 titles in the absence of those 6 on top of moving into a new state of the art ground they would fill the void. Success breeds fans and wealth other clubs will reap what these 6 have spurned and grow to match their stature.

Allowing those 6 to stay would irrevocably damage the league permanently.

Also - on UEFA/FIFA banning players from the Super League from representing their clubs internationally

I would only say those who sign a contract from the announcement onwards.

Why punish someone for being there when the club makes a decision without their input.

If they sign a new contract though, they now know what they're getting themselves into.

Everyone is going to watch it. It'll make frontline news and highlights every week.
Why would I watch a dead rubber Derby Della Madonnina in January between 10th and 13th in the Super League when I can watch the Derby Della Capitale pivotal to qualifying for Europe

Yeah no doubt, but it would recover given 10-20 years, new powers would emerge. If a club like Everton (My club bias) were to go on to win 5-6 titles in the absence of those 6 on top of moving into a new state of the art ground they would fill the void. Success breeds fans and wealth other clubs will reap what these 6 have spurned and grow to match their stature.

Allowing those 6 to stay would irrevocably damage the league permanently.

Would love to see a league where blue dollar clubs like Leicester, west ham, Leeds and Everton are fighting it out each year

Might even dust off the white Viduka jersey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which is why I can't see the domestic leagues allowing those teams to stay. You'd be voting for your own demise.
Screwed either way.

Unless there's going to be a backdown on the superleague I suspect the Premier league will just have to accept the new order.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still not convinced this isn't just a massive game of chicken to force through the changes that Juve/RM/Barca want to the Champions League - the proposed new format was obviously a step up in their eyes, but didn't go far enough to provide enough "blockbuster" games to really draw the tv dollars, and doesn't provide the sort of backstop that they want
Quite possible, although the changes that already got through the Champions league were bad enough. Any more concessions to those clubs would probably be pretty bad.

Everyone is going to to watch it, just like everyone watches the NBA and none of the other basketball leagues.

Everyone in the world will watch it. That’s their goal. Why limit yourself to 40-50,000 fans showing up in Liverpool or Turin when you can spread it all over the world.

Eventually I think the goal is for these teams to relocate. Atletico will become Dubai. Manchester City will become Shanghai. Games will be played all over the world.

They want to create the world’s first truly global sports league. And you can’t really do that if your teams play most of their games in Manchester.

Everyone in the world will watch it. That’s their goal. Why limit yourself to 40-50,000 fans showing up in Liverpool or Turin when you can spread it all over the world.

Eventually I think the goal is for these teams to relocate. Atletico will become Dubai. Manchester City will become Shanghai. Games will be played all over the world.

They want to create the world’s first truly global sports league. And you can’t really do that if your teams play most of their games in Manchester.

Very true. Explains the legacy fans comment

Manchester United would go to Shanghai anyway. That way when they say The Red Army is invading Europe, Angela wont know whats going on

There's a time and place for having a bit of fun, this thread probably isn't if you're going to just turn the discussion in circles.

I'm not trolling in here so not quite sure what you're demanding I stop from what I can only describe as a high horse rather ironically.

You're not trolling here? That's you're Modus Operandi, you just started on the main board. You're a deplorable.

I’ve never watched an UCL game Dortmund haven’t been a part of

So if dortmund are in the cl group stages you wouldn't watch the other teams in the group play? Dortmund next oppo.

Sounds bizarre to me.

If the champions league final is on and you have access - why would you not watch it if interested in football? I support LLfootball but it seems extreme

Last edited:
Ill play devils advocate and say as a Spurs fan im not against the Super League. Helps propel us up to a level of financial parity with the Man City, Uniteds and Chelseas of the world.

Now.. the main criticism of this is that it is a closed competition. This is partially true. There will still be 5 slots available.

So if for arguments sake, the next 5 spots are given to the best team in the ELP, Italy, Spain, Germany (taking out the core members of the League). And the 5th spot being decided via a round of playoffs similar to the Europa league now. By my calculations that will give MORE chances for an underdog English team to make it. When was the last time more than one champions league spot was filled by a team outside the big 6. Has it ever happened?? Under this new league you are guaranteeing a smaller English team access to it (if qualification happens similar to what i described).

So with the 5th spot, you will essentially be skipping the round of 32 dead rubber matches that pit outmatched teams against superpowers, make those lesser teams slug it out to grab that 5th spot prior to the proper tournament starting and when you get to the main competition, all games would see reasonably evenly matched teams.

So if dortmund are in the cl group stages you wouldn't watch the other teams in the group play? Dortmund next oppo.

Sounds bizarre to me.

If the champions league final is on and you have access - why would you not watch it if interested in football? I support LLfootball but it seems extreme

Honestly doesn’t interest me that much. Same with west coast. Didn’t watch a game after we exited the finals last year. Got too much other stuff I enjoying to watch teams I don’t have any connection to

I’d watch my wife’s second league German team before a champions league final without Dortmund

Honestly doesn’t interest me that much. Same with west coast. Didn’t watch a game after we exited the finals last year. Got too much other stuff I enjoying to watch teams I don’t have any connection to

I’d watch my wife’s second league German team before a champions league final without Dortmund

Do you watch the euro/wc, if germany / australia / whatever country you go for isn't playing ?

Ill play devils advocate and say as a Spurs fan im not against the Super League. Helps propel us up to a level of financial parity with the Man City, Uniteds and Chelseas of the world.

Now.. the main criticism of this is that it is a closed competition. This is partially true. There will still be 5 slots available.

So if for arguments sake, the next 5 spots are given to the best team in the ELP, Italy, Spain, Germany (taking out the core members of the League). And the 5th spot being decided via a round of playoffs similar to the Europa league now. By my calculations that will give MORE chances for an underdog English team to make it. When was the last time more than one champions league spot was filled by a team outside the big 6. Has it ever happened?? Under this new league you are guaranteeing a smaller English team access to it (if qualification happens similar to what i described).

So with the 5th spot, you will essentially be skipping the round of 32 dead rubber matches that pit outmatched teams against superpowers, make those lesser teams slug it out to grab that 5th spot prior to the proper tournament starting and when you get to the main competition, all games would see reasonably evenly matched teams.

Also talk of a second division which would then bring in a promotion and relegation, could essentially replace the Europa league and Champions league and give a lot more money to the clubs but really for that to work it needs to have the blessing of UEFA and FIFA.

Not much else to say but if Arsenal go through with this I'm done as a supporter. Our club has gone to s**t enough as it is, but this is a nail in the coffin for me. If they join I might as well join the rest of my family and become an Everton fan.

Back