• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo16

Club Legend
Aug 4, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Apologies for the self-promotion but I recently posted a video (linked below) to my YouTube channel that started an interesting discussion in the comments and I'd be keen to see what everyone's opinion is on here.

In the video I basically put forward the case that every AFL team needs to have a white guernsey on hand for certain clash scenarios.
Agree or disagree ?

Sick video but yeah if you were to lay out a complete guernsey matrix i.e. every home and away matchup possible for each team, you’d be able to address the few clashes there are without requiring half the teams to bring in a new white guernsey. Admittedly you would run into some clashes if the home team (e.g. Hawks) doesn’t have an alternate as a home and doesn’t shift from their gold w brown shorts. But I like the concept of them just embracing their all brown inverse as a “home alternate”, same with GWS and their Never Surrender guernsey. Can be used for away too. You would avoid the need for the away team to conjure up a white-based clash kit for only like one or two potential away matchups, which I think is best to avoid especially when white isn’t part of club colours or the addition of it makes them look like another club (e.g. Essendon with white shorts makes Saints colours, Dees with white is like WB, imo). Ties back into identity which you’ve discussed in your other vids which I agree with.

I'm the opposite, no team needs a white guernsey (unless white is in your colours i.e Freo)

Most teams have 2 or 3 colours to choose from, you can escape a clash with those colours already
The problem is there are multiple examples of teams that still clash, even if it’s slightly

The solution should be that what ever is the main colour of the guernsey, the shorts should match. Geelong wear a mainly white home jumper, then the shorts have to be white. Essendon wearing red shorts with their clash jumper solves any problem with St Kilda wearing their home

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Managed to avoid a clash without using white the past 2 years

In fairness Hawthorn’s white shorts and number panel are the main things preventing a noticeable clash. Still kinda clashy though and moving around in play, not the easiest on the eyes watching the broadcast

Collingwood and Geelong are probably the only two which are relatively clashy, everyone else has a solution. To be honest if both teams were forced to introduce a just-in-case clash it would mean there were no issues at all in the league.
Both those teams have white as a colour so they would fit the mould for a white clash

The easy solution though is cats in all light kit (their usual home) and pies in all dark (their usual home), it doesn't clash

In fairness Hawthorn’s white shorts and number panel are the main things preventing a noticeable clash. Still kinda clashy though and moving around in play, not the easiest on the eyes watching the broadcast
I actually think it would look better if Hawks didn't have that white number panel

I reckon the teams could also avoid a clash if Giants had orange shorts to wear and hawks wore this kit

https://www.footyjumpers.com/images/Hawthorn-Legends-2023.gif

Plenty of scope for teams to not clash while keeping their own colours

Managed to avoid a clash without using white the past 2 years

If it’s a Hawks home game and they’re wearing brown shorts then the giants have nothing that doesn’t clash.

Both those teams have white as a colour so they would fit the mould for a white clash

The easy solution though is cats in all light kit (their usual home) and pies in all dark (their usual home), it doesn't clash
Geelong v Collingwood is always at best a mini-clash, Collingwood need a jumper that’s almost entirely black.

This could work….

05C842BF-0D45-427A-9824-199481230BF1.png

If it’s a Hawks home game and they’re wearing brown shorts then the giants have nothing that doesn’t clash.

Geelong v Collingwood is always at best a mini-clash, Collingwood need a jumper that’s almost entirely black.

This could work….

View attachment 1745747
GWS have an orange guernsey they can wear against the hawks (with white shorts but I reckon orange is fine if they brought them in), Hawks can wear brown and gold with brown shorts

I disagree with Cats and Pies clashing aslong as the light guernsey wears light shorts and the dark guernsey wears dark shorts
ie this match

GWS have an orange guernsey they can wear against the hawks (with white shorts but I reckon orange is fine if they brought them in), Hawks can wear brown and gold with brown shorts

I disagree with Cats and Pies clashing aslong as the light guernsey wears light shorts and the dark guernsey wears dark shorts
ie this match

How does orange not clash with gold ?

I still think Coll v Gee is two mostly 50/50 light/dark kits, wouldn’t hurt for Collingwood to have one jumper that’s 90% black

How does orange not clash with gold ?

I still think Coll v Gee is two mostly 50/50 light/dark kits, wouldn’t hurt for Collingwood to have one jumper that’s 90% black

GWS home vs Hawks away - Never Surrender, Hawks in gold w white shorts

Hawthorn home vs GWS away - ‘Legends’ or all brown home inverse, Giants in orange w white shorts

Simple solution

GWS home vs Hawks away - Never Surrender, Hawks in gold w white shorts

Hawthorn home vs GWS away - ‘Legends’ or all brown home inverse, Giants in orange w white shorts

Simple solution
The home team decides what jumper they wear, it’s not really up to the home team to wear a different jumper because the away team don’t have one that’s suitable

White or near white, Essendon in white ends up looking like St Kilda
And Carlton with Navy Blue on white is Geelong?

Apologies for the self-promotion but I recently posted a video (linked below) to my YouTube channel that started an interesting discussion in the comments and I'd be keen to see what everyone's opinion is on here.

In the video I basically put forward the case that every AFL team needs to have a white guernsey on hand for certain clash scenarios.
Agree or disagree ?

Hey Matt, enjoy your videos! but I'll just copy any paste what I commented under that video

"We just finally got away from god awful, uninspired white clash guernseys! Please never again unless clubs can come up with something better than slapping their logo/existing home design on a white background."

This was the overwhelming trend throughout the late 2000s and 2010s and led to some pretty mediocre strips - I think there's an easy middle ground in actually making teams design clash jumpers that resolve all potential clashes while not just being Bintang Bali singlets. Every team has enough history/alternative colours to create clash solutions in a creative and interesting way.

Hey Matt, enjoy your videos! but I'll just copy any paste what I commented under that video

"We just finally got away from god awful, uninspired white clash guernseys! Please never again unless clubs can come up with something better than slapping their logo/existing home design on a white background."

This was the overwhelming trend throughout the late 2000s and 2010s and led to some pretty mediocre strips - I think there's an easy middle ground in actually making teams design clash jumpers that resolve all potential clashes while not just being Bintang Bali singlets. Every team has enough history/alternative colours to create clash solutions in a creative and interesting way.
I think some teams don’t have enough colours to resolve clash completely and something like white is a fairly neutral colour.

But you’re not wrong, the designs for white jumpers have been average at best but that has more to with the design than the colour

Back