Official Team Thread [Expansion Bid] Club #14 – The Sweet F.A. All-Stars Qootball Club

Remove this Banner Ad

The Bid
May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 11.00.55.png

Nou Camp/SWT, 13th Round of the 32nd Season.

Dear fellow qootballers,

This is a bid for the Sweet F.A.’s 14th team.

---

Bringing back the All-Stars along with a 13th side would be good for the league for many reasons.

First, such a club already existed in the Sweet F.A. in two seasons: S07 and S09.

Second, there would no debate on whether an All-Star team would weaken the current existing clubs, because it is a club without posters.

Third, adding a 14th club such as the All-Stars, it wouldn’t change much posting-wise in relation to having 13. After all, an All-Star club could still allow a posting bye. However, gate-crashers may be able to bring fun to the All-Stars' match threads.

Fourth, an All-Star side as the league’s 14th team would avoid having a bye on the field each week.

Fifth, having 14 clubs could help the league getting rid of the current doubles in the fixture. Two 13-game seasons per year would allow having the State of Origin and/or other competitions during the offseason.

All those things combine would probably improve the overall state of the league.

---

Having said that, the league is now much older than when the AFL All-Stars have played.

Hence, instead of an AFL All-Stars, as there used to be, I suggest having a Sweet F.A. All-Stars, instead.

Let's consider for now only former SFA players who either are no longer on BigFooty, are active under a new alias or are called Grand Uncle Horace. Those criteria do not make it difficult to find 27 names to fulfill a complete Squad List.

With the exception of Grand Uncle Horace, all others are currently in the SFA History’s Top-100 players for at least one of these categories: games; hit-outs; disposals; tackles; marks; goals; and DT points.

It goes without saying that the list may be improved. Yet, a sketch of a initial team to play the club's first game is evidence of the squad's quality:

Still, as good and as important as those names might be, they are all beyond the point.

Regardless of the players chosen (and of whom ultimately chooses them), the return of old qooty stars to the field may end up bringing more than just fond memories from “the Good Ol’ Days.” It might spark other interests around Sweet as well.

---
NaturalDisaster and current members of the SFA Committee, I leave this proposal to you for consideration.

Sincerely yours,

GremioPower
Alberton Qootball Club

– Sin City Swamprats –

I feel like this is possibly the worst thing you could do to the SFA. Having an inactive team playing and competing in the league doesn't sit right with me.

Do they all get their stats and games played from these new seasons that they are in the league? Would basically make sure that no one below them ever catches them in the hall of fame.

Will they be able to win a premiership? Will we all have to watch on as a team with no active posters claim a trophy that so many other teams are seeking?

No offence Gremio, but I would prefer a bye to this idea (and I hate the idea of a bye).

Every time expansion is brought up there are whispers of revivals, reviving the Titans, reviving the Koalas - the Bears were a revival and the Warriors were based off a S15 concept.

No one talks about reviving the All-Stars, and for a reason.

The Debate Follows On
No offence Gremio

No offense taken.

---
Would basically make sure that no one below them ever catches them in the hall of fame.
You are implying that the team would exist forever; and in case of lasting for more than one season, your premise is that there wouldn't be any squad changes between one season and another.

Neither assumption holds water.

---
Having an inactive team playing and competing in the league doesn't sit right with me.

Now, this is another argument entirely. The alternative – in the event of the 13th club being accepted in the league – would be having a bye every week, which "doesn't sit right with me" either.

I would rather play against non-posters than sit one week out. Since there has been precedents, one inactive side has already played in the league (and it did twice), I decided to come up with this suggestion.

An Odd Situation
Every time expansion is brought up there are whispers of revivals, reviving the Titans, reviving the Koalas - the Bears were a revival and the Warriors were based off a S15 concept.

No one talks about reviving the All-Stars, and for a reason.
Sure. Of course there is a reason. The reason is having an EVEN NUMBER of clubs in the league.

Now, with a 13th team, that would no longer be the case...

No offense taken.

---

You are implying that the team would exist forever; and in case of lasting for more than one season, your premise is that there wouldn't be any squad changes between one season and another.

Neither assumption holds water.

---

Now, this is another argument entirely. The alternative – in the event of the 13th club being accepted in the league – would be having a bye every week, which "doesn't sit right with me" either.

I would rather play against non-posters than sit one week out. Since there has been precedents, one inactive side has already played in the league (and it did twice), I decided to come up with this suggestion.
My main criticism is that the All-Stars team could go on and win the premiership in their first season and everyone else will just be watching on like:

The Committee’s Reaction
No thank you.

I refer you to this excellent explanation of the Sweet FA:

The Sweet FA - Explained

Section 1: The Concept
The Sweet FA Board is a fantasy footy forum where you are able to play in the role of a footy star in a fantasy world called 'Sweet'. The basic premise is you banter in match threads, make media that generate controversy and discussion, and at the end of the week you play a simulated game of Qooty. You do all this under the guise of a persona. What is a persona?

persona: the particular type of character that a person seems to have and that is often different from their real or private character: He had a shy, retiring side to his personality that was completely at odds with his public persona. (Cambridge Dictionary)

In the Sweet FA, your 'persona' is the character you decide to portray yourself as while posting on the forum. This can be hero or villain, and when you banter it is assumed that your posts are directed at the persona of your opponent and vice versa. Your persona is a separate entity from your real life person in the same way that an actor's character in a movie is different from the actor themselves in the real world. This means that banter is not directed at you personally and is not intended to be taken in a serious manner. It is important to understand this concept in order to get the most enjoyment out of the Sweet FA. (More Info)

Section 2: The Boundaries
Despite being a fantasy forum and often none of the posts here are intended to be taken seriously the Sweet FA is not an 'anything goes' board.

Bigfooty Terms and Rules must be complied with while in the Sweet FA, and Rule 1 of the Sweet FA Rules thread covers the basic conduct and etiquette of Bigfooty that must be followed on this board.

In regards to the matter of determining what constitutes abuse, we consider whether your post is directed at the persona or person. If your posting is directed at a persona, it is fine even if the banter is antagonistic in nature. If you attack another poster on the basis of real life circumstances, personal characteristics, or other issues external to the Sweet FA in order to bully/threaten/demean/harass them then this is considered personal abuse and will not be condoned.

Additionally, certain topics (for instance mental health, suicide, rape, cancer etc.) may be considered insensitive and inappropriate for banter material by many posters and on such occasions moderation may occur. Please be considerate of where the line is, usually common sense will be a sufficient guide in this regard but if in doubt feel free to ask a moderator.

Section 3: How The Board Is Moderated
Because the Sweet FA is primarily a banter forum, the moderation will be much more lenient than other boards. In our view this approach allows the banter to flow naturally and makes the Sweet FA more enjoyable than it would be if we moderated to excessively strict standards.

Generally, one-off instances of inappropriate posting can be resolved with a simple deletion and private word. Only intentional and serious offences, as well as pests who repeatedly break board rules with disregard for moderator warnings will be at risk of receiving infractions. This standard of moderation will apply for all players across the Sweet FA. If you take serious issue with something posted on the board or a moderator decision, posting long strings of public complaints and whining will benefit no one. The appropriate action is to report the post or contact a moderator via PM.

We hope to see some humorous, creative, interesting posting in the remainder of Season 24 and everyone has fun and enjoys themselves.

Best Regards,

The Sweet FA Mods and Admin
The Filth Wizard
Blacky
Cloud_
Hate
RU_

It is a fundamental principle of the Sweet FA that we are engaging persona v persona. For many people this is a fantastic escape and playing what is essentially a bot misses the point; the Sweet FA All-Stars team in this form would have no identity or culture. I can’t imagine that haydo or Tigerturbulance envisions this.

HOWEVER, it can work with a real life Captain, one who can have the role of stimulating debate across the team they are playing. It can be an introspection, perhaps it can be an Admin role. I can’t see it happening though.

My main criticism is that the All-Stars team could go on and win the premiership in their first season and everyone else will just be watching on like:

Oh, well. If it is not against the Rats, I would be laughing... :winkv1:

What is actually at stake
No thank you.

I refer you to this excellent explanation of the Sweet FA:

It is a fundamental principle of the Sweet FA that we are engaging persona v persona. For many people this is a fantastic escape and playing what is essentially a bot misses the point; the Sweet FA All-Stars team in this form would have no identity or culture. I can’t imagine that haydo or Tigerturbulance envisions this.

HOWEVER, it can work with a real life Captain, one who can have the role of stimulating debate across the team they are playing. It can be an introspection, perhaps it can be an Admin role. I can’t see it happening though.
I have put Grand Uncle Horace there to maybe get something like that.

Moreover, one needs to compare this with alternative: a full bye.

It’s All-Stars v. The Bye!

Last edited:
The Committee’s Reaction (2)
sheldon-cooper-throw-papers.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back