Eye Rolling Movie Tropes

Remove this Banner Ad

When a man tries to be gallant by taking off his coat and draping it around a shivering woman, he doesn't check the pockets first for his wallet, car keys, house key or anything else he might need before he gets the coat back.

Well, I never pass anything with pockets in it to anybody under any circumstances without thoroughly checking the pockets first. That's just basic common sense, IMHO. As a result, I've never gotten separated from anything I needed that was in the pocket.

Movies and TV shows usually want to present a smooth, grandiose, gallant gesture of the man instantly draping his coat over the shivering woman's shoulder, rather than having him do the sensible thing and check the pockets first. When I see that happen on-screen, I lose my ability to sympathize or empathize with the character over any misfortune that befalls him as a result of his coat donation.
Whilst this is fair I put it down to films wanting to ignore the mundane stuff in life and this it doesn’t bother me.

Anyone But You starts out with a meet cute at a coffee shop, our gentleman not only doesn’t give a name for his order in a coffee shop that is ******* stacked but he also absolutely does not pay before leaving the till to keep chatting with the lady.

It’s trope as s**t but meh, seeing him swipe his card wouldn’t have added anything for me

The shy and quiet types who end up acing whatever it is and becoming insanely talented.
Meta: or kids who would not have succeeded so phenomenally outside of their temporal era given their harsh speaking voice and accent (look at "Bright Eyes") and mediocre singing voice. Temple was lucky it was the Depression. Her competitors could inhabit different characters, but Shirley never could; she always just played Shirley.

Why are movies and shows obsessed with characters telling other characters to "get some rest"? When is the last time you said that to someone in real life?

i was thinking about this very thing in this thread. apparently it's the most used line in movies if i remember correctly? try and get some rest, try and get some sleep, you should get some sleep.

I sometimes wonder how the years from about the 1970s to the 2000s would have been if some or many Old Hollywood actresses and actors had never smoked or drank at all. I mean in terms of how both USA and British TV, film and BBC Radio 4 radio plays, would be different?

The wills of the very rich are always read in the presence of all next of kin, typically on a small and remote private island, or in an incommunicado castle.

People touched with telekinesis always opt to keep their wonderous gift a guarded secret.

Every senior prom has a delinquent teen in a tux-printed T-shirt who spikes the punchbowl.

Being bitten by anything is painful, but a vampire bite is orgasmic.

After WWIII, all guys will dress like renegade bikers, and chicks will wear tattered stripper gear.

The moment a killer's identity is revealed, he/she will suddenly become wide-eyed and manic.

If your offspring is horribly deformed, don't seek clinical help...just lock the child in a filthy basement or attic and never speak of them to anyone.

GEw49jlXYAAFdpp

When people are reincarnated, they usually look the same as they did in their previous life.

After you've had a brush with demonic forces, you should hole up in a squalid studio apartment. Be sure to paper the walls and ceiling with Bible pages, crosses, and rosaries, but never wash your dishes.

Before sexually assaulting a helpless woman, you must tear her blouse open vertically with one fell swoop.

In the Old West, saloon dancers wore their stage costumes 24/7.

Every savage tribe in the Green Hell of Africa is ruled by a white woman wearing a sarong and bikini top ensemble, and a necklace made with fangs or claws.

When a mad scientist whips up a concoction, it will always have smoke rising off of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Water boiling to show build up of tension

Spitting cornflakes out when hear surprising news

Every mafia movie or tv show, you already know at the beginning of the scene there will be a murder or beating

Tv series finales involving airports or planes. The characters change their minds or profess their love last minute.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back