Favourite Game Ranking Meme

Remove this Banner Ad

I wanted to get this done sooner but originally I was getting hung up on putting way too much thought into what should be a fun little thing. I purposely went with some recency bias just to make it easier so I wasn't sweating over games I played 30 odd years ago. Some picks may be a bit of a reach for the category but it's because I didn't want to double up. Also some are definitely Unpopular opinions and might be fishing for a bite, but come at me.

If anyone isn't on a PC or can't be bothered trying to fiddle around editing then there are some good phone apps that may help. You don't need any fancy apps, I actually used Meme Generator by Zombodroid (I'm on an Android phone).

ZomboMeme 27052024074554.jpg

For those like me who can't be bothered getting the images ;)

Favourite game of all time:
Best story:
Favourite art style:
"I'll finish it someday:"
Big personal impact:
Best combat:
You like, but everyone hates:
You hate, but everyone likes:
Underrated:
Overrated:
"Why do I like this?:"
Game you always come back to:
That atmosphere...:
Bad day cure:
Favourite protagonist:
After work relaxation:
Biggest letdown:
"Back in the day" game:
"Not the best, but having fun:"
Criminally overlooked:
Depressing game:
Favourite ACTIVE franchise:
Indie pick:
Not usually my thing, but...:

Last edited:
I think most of these will make sense, but for the couple that might not:

Metroid Prime - probably the first time I ever really sat back and just soaked in the atmosphere and setting of a game, realising games could be so much more.

Diddy Kong Racing - shitty Mario Kart wannabe, so **** it.

Favourite Games meme.jpg

I wanted to get this done sooner but originally I was getting hung up on putting way too much thought into what should be a fun little thing. I purposely went with some recency bias just to make it easier so I wasn't sweating over games I played 30 odd years ago. Some picks may be a bit of a reach for the category but it's because I didn't want to double up. Also some are definitely Unpopular opinions and might be fishing for a bite, but come at me.

If anyone isn't on a PC or can't be bothered trying to fiddle around editing then there are some good phone apps that may help. You don't need any fancy apps, I actually used Meme Generator by Zombodroid (I'm on an Android phone).

View attachment 2002544

A lot of solid picks here. Very happy to see Mass Effect, Control and even 12 Minutes, as controversial as it is.

View attachment 2002544
this war of mine is such a good pick, such a depressingly good game

A lot of solid picks here. Very happy to see Mass Effect, Control and even 12 Minutes, as controversial as it is.

12 Minutes just reminded me of what I used to love about video games that we don't get much of anymore. That is trial and error and progressing through a game one mistake at a time. These days gaming just feels like going from one check point to another and you're rarely challenged in any meaningful way.

There were others I was thinking of for underrated. There are lots of underrated games IMO. The Stalker series for example I think is criminally underrated today because it came from a time when PC and console were exclusive environments and there is an entire generation of gamers who missed out purely because they weren't into PC gaming. Then I also thought about Sunset Overdrive. Massively underrated game. Control is popular but I think too many have slept on it because they might think it just looks like another third person action game, but they're missing out on an amazing narrative that pays out even more when you include the Alan Wake games. Others just blasted through the game without taking the time to appreciate the mythology it developed. I actually originally had Sleeping Dogs in this spot because that is extremely underrated, but I think it was overlooked more than simply underrated.

this war of mine is such a good pick, such a depressingly good game

It was one of the first that came to mind that I thought was depressing from start to end. Others just had depressing moments. I was seriously thinking about a flash game from the 2000s called The Company of Myself which is probably one of the most genuinely depressing things I've ever played. But as a game it was a pretty simple platformer and This War of Mine was actually a really good game as well as being depressing.

I think most of these will make sense, but for the couple that might not:

Metroid Prime - probably the first time I ever really sat back and just soaked in the atmosphere and setting of a game, realising games could be so much more.

Diddy Kong Racing - shitty Mario Kart wannabe, so **** it.

View attachment 2005426

SW:KOTOR is so good. I was trying to decide between that, Neverwinter Nights and Mass Effect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12 Minutes just reminded me of what I used to love about video games that we don't get much of anymore. That is trial and error and progressing through a game one mistake at a time. These days gaming just feels like going from one check point to another and you're rarely challenged in any meaningful way.

There were others I was thinking of for underrated. There are lots of underrated games IMO. The Stalker series for example I think is criminally underrated today because it came from a time when PC and console were exclusive environments and there is an entire generation of gamers who missed out purely because they weren't into PC gaming. Then I also thought about Sunset Overdrive. Massively underrated game. Control is popular but I think too many have slept on it because they might think it just looks like another third person action game, but they're missing out on an amazing narrative that pays out even more when you include the Alan Wake games. Others just blasted through the game without taking the time to appreciate the mythology it developed. I actually originally had Sleeping Dogs in this spot because that is extremely underrated, but I think it was overlooked more than simply underrated.

That's a really good explanation of why 12 Minutes is so good. Also the same reasoning for why I liked Outer Wilds and Subnautica. There's something special about thinking through something logically, experimenting and then finally cracking it.

Funny what you said about Control, because I initially dismissed it for exactly that reason. I didn't even know it was from the same people behind Alan Wake. Then it reviewed well so I checked it out and god damn if it isn't one of the best games I've played. It's really something special - a perfect combination of atmosphere, action, story and exploration.

SW:KOTOR is so good. I was trying to decide between that, Neverwinter Nights and Mass Effect.

All good choices. KOTOR holds a special place for me as a lifelong Star Wars fan. As a a young teenager, it was incredible to me that such an in depth and detailed Star Wars game had been made.

I really enjoyed 12 Minutes until the last few sections, which I found obnoxiously counterintuitive and nearly impossible to stumble upon the solution for organically.

I really enjoyed 12 Minutes until the last few sections, which I found obnoxiously counterintuitive and nearly impossible to stumble upon the solution for organically.

I think I worked it out because I spent several runs just trying to see if I could do any silly things and I eventually stumbled onto the solution. That was the other thing I liked, not everything lead to the final solution and some things were just red herrings (*takes note for own project).

Favourite game of all time: Fallout 4
Best story: The Last of Us
Favourite art style:
Rage 2
"I'll finish it someday:"
Plague Tale: Innocence
Big personal impact:
GTA Vice City
Best combat:
Spiderman
You like, but everyone hates:
Far Cry 5
You hate, but everyone likes: Halo (any of the series)
Underrated:
Tom Clancys Ghost Recon
Overrated:
Metal Gear Solid 5
"Why do I like this?:"
Vampyr
Game you always come back to:
Super Mario Brothers 3
That atmosphere...:
Assasins Creed Origins
Bad day cure:
Wolfenstein 2
Favourite protagonist:
Guybruth Threepwood (monkey island series)
After work relaxation:
Hitman 3 series
Biggest letdown:
Mafia 3
"Back in the day" game:
Command & Conquer
"Not the best, but having fun:"
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland
Criminally overlooked:
Heavy Rain
Depressing game:
The walking dead
Favourite ACTIVE franchise:
Civilization
Indie pick:
Thimbleweed Park
Not usually my thing, but...:
Ghostwire: Tokyo

Favourite game of all time: Fallout 4
Best story: The Last of Us
Favourite art style: Rage 2
"I'll finish it someday:" Plague Tale: Innocence
Big personal impact: GTA Vice City
Best combat: Spiderman
You like, but everyone hates: Far Cry 5
You hate, but everyone likes: Halo (any of the series)
Underrated: Tom Clancys Ghost Recon
Overrated: Metal Gear Solid 5
"Why do I like this?:" Vampyr
Game you always come back to: Super Mario Brothers 3
That atmosphere...: Assasins Creed Origins
Bad day cure: Wolfenstein 2
Favourite protagonist: Guybruth Threepwood (monkey island series)
After work relaxation: Hitman 3 series
Biggest letdown: Mafia 3
"Back in the day" game: Command & Conquer
"Not the best, but having fun:" Tony Hawk's American Wasteland
Criminally overlooked: Heavy Rain
Depressing game: The walking dead
Favourite ACTIVE franchise: Civilization
Indie pick: Thimbleweed Park
Not usually my thing, but...: Ghostwire: Tokyo
thimbleweed park is such a good pick, really underrated

Favourite game of all time: The Witcher 3
Best story: Disco Elysium (HM: Mass Effect)
Favourite art style: Hades (HM: Persona 5)
"I'll finish it someday:" Baldur's Gate 3
Big personal impact: Life is Strange (HM: The Last of Us)
Best combat: Devil May Cry 4
You like, but everyone hates: Final Fantasy XIII
You hate, but everyone likes: Metroid Dread
Underrated: Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma (HM: Control)
Overrated: Sifu (HM: Guardians of the Galaxy)
"Why do I like this?:" Donut County (HM: Bully)
Game you always come back to: Broken Sword
That atmosphere...: Silent Hill 2 (HM: Alan Wake II)
Bad day cure: Untitled Goose Game
Favourite protagonist: unsure - in contention: Arthur Morgan (RDR2), Dante (Devil May Cry), Joel (The Last of Us), Harrier du Bois (Disco Elysium)
After work relaxation: Spider-Man (HM: Death Stranding, Dave the Diver)
Biggest letdown: Final Fantasy XVI (may need to think more about this one)
"Back in the day" game: Spyro 2 (HM: Toy Story 2, Sly Cooper)
"Not the best, but having fun:" Ni No Kuni 2
Criminally overlooked: Heavy Rain
Depressing game: This War of Mine
Favourite ACTIVE franchise: Grand Theft Auto (HM: God of War)
Indie pick: Return of the Obra Dinn
Not usually my thing, but...: Neon White (HM: Hades)

View attachment 2002544
I too found AC Revelations to be a solid game tbh. Don't understand to animosity. Perhaps when it's directly compared to the rest of the Ezio trilogy?

I too found AC Revelations to be a solid game tbh. Don't understand to animosity. Perhaps when it's directly compared to the rest of the Ezio trilogy?

Lots of people dislike the modern stuff and Revelations was heavy on that. The reason I really liked it was almost entirely the story as it's hard to separate the gameplay of the Ezio games, they're all just AC2. Desmond and the modern setting really meant something and I liked the parts with Altair. Especially the part when Ezio finds the vault.

Favourite game of all time: Ocarina of Time / Goldeneye
Best story: Yakuza 0 / LAD / Witcher 3
Favourite art style: Persona 5
"I'll finish it someday": Life is Strange: True Colours
Big personal impact:
What Remains of Edith Finch (That bath scene when I had a 6mo. Oof)
Best combat: Battlefield: Bad Company 2
You like, but everyone hates: Batman Arkham Origins
You hate, but everyone likes: Souls games
Underrated: AC Origins
Overrated: Breath of the Wild
"Why do I like this?:" Lawnmowing Simulator
Game you always come back to: Hitman
That atmosphere...: Horizon Zero Dawn / Ghost of Tsushima
Bad day cure: GTA Vice City
Favourite protagonist: Ezio / Geralt
After work relaxation: No Man's Sky
Biggest letdown: Battlefield 2042