Opinion Favourite opposition players - with new rules!

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
This time you get more than one. I can tell you’re excited already.

The best and most insightful post might get a prize! (Probably won’t, but it can be a strange world). Anyway, if you feel like rambling a bit, you can include reasons.

I‘ll go first.

Favourite current opposition player: Travis Boak, Pendlebury. Boak because he’s just a great, tough player with a hard edge. Pendles because he looks like he’s playing under water but finds space somehow and kicks brilliantly.

Favourite all-time opposition player: Voss I reckon. Magic at getting the ball out of a pack. Did everything well really.

Favourite ‘fun to watch’ all-time opposition player: Cyril Rioli. I like him even more now that I can just remember rather than living with some of the painful commentary.

Favourite all-time opposition player that you like but aren’t really sure why because they aren’t quite a superstar, or are even really ordinary but you like them anyway: The Hoff. One of the early examples of the comedy beard - before it became a thing. Also he was great sometimes but entertainingly unpredictable. Wildly.

Opposition current player that scares you the most when they play your team: The Bont. Or maybe ******* Tim O’brien.

Opposition all-time player that scares you the most: Judd probably. Though everyone pretty much scared me back then so he got an easy ride on that one.

Favourite opposition player that you have never seen play, even on the telly: Irving mosquito. I missed the game or games he was in before getting injured. Good name. Or if I cheat a bit I’ll go Ron Barassi Jnr. because he was an opposition player albeit extremely briefly.

Over to you. Enjoy the off-season.

Favourite current opposition player: Max Gawn. Ruckmen are generally pretty s**t footballers and only there because they stood in manure at an early age. but when you see talented ruckmen like gawn, ryder, cox etc. their talent stands out.

Favourite all-time opposition player: Ablett Snr. Strength, power and his best was the best.

Favourite ‘fun to watch’ all-time opposition player: Too many to choose from. Eddie Betts, Cyril Rioli and Ablett Snr for the wow factor in front of goals but probably the Krakouer brothers had me wondering "how did fk did he know his brother would be there".

Favourite all-time opposition player that you like but aren’t really sure why because they aren’t quite a superstar, or are even really ordinary but you like them anyway: Tipungwuti and Mark Hamill

Opposition current player that scares you the most when they play your team: Bont, dusty and franklin

Opposition all-time player that scares you the most: Judd, Voss, Ablett Jnr, franklin

Favourite opposition player that you have never seen play, even on the telly: Stephen Michael

Last edited:
Favourite current opposition player:
Fyfe, petracca. I love the way both of them go about it, petraccas last two seasons have been awesome and fyfe over the last 10 years, he gets more respect from me because he was a top bloke when I met him.

Favourite all-time opposition player: Simon black, Voss, the pav.
black was such a smart player, voss the toughest/ best leader I’ve seen and pav was the ultimate team player in any position on the field.

Favourite ‘fun to watch’ all-time opposition player:
Eddie Betts: enough said

Favourite all-time opposition player that you like but aren’t really sure why because they aren’t quite a superstar, or are even really ordinary but you like them anyway:
Tough question, but I did like Robbie Copeland, what a kick he had. Mark Le cras another one I wouldn’t say was ordinary, just a great player with a gun skill set.
Opposition current player that scares you the most when they play your team:.
Josh Kennedy wce or buddy, they’ve both had heaps of field days against north.
Opposition all-time player that scares you the most:
Gary ablett jr couldn’t be stopped against north, Jimmy bartels the next best I can think of.

Favourite opposition player that you have never seen play, even on the telly: gary ablett senior, enough said

Favourite current opposition player: Paddy Dow, because he's an absolute spud and Carlton though they could send him to Melbourne Demons with a packet of chips and get a Clayton Oliver in return, and I just really really enjoy making fun of him when he *s something up, and that's pretty much every time he plays so it's usually a good day in the Toump Ass house when Paddy Dow gets a game. Love his name too, 100% best name in AFL, rolls off the tongue. Love it!

Favourite all-time opposition player: Aaron Hamill (not Mark Hamill, is that real?). He always "left it all out on the field" and being a supporter of the flakiest team in existence I always admired that. Just a good honest but fair hard nut, I really loved watching him play.

Other than that, my namesake <3, he's the softest player I've ever seen in my life and I loved hating on him whenever he did shirked a contest which was obviously every contest he was ever in and also Sandy Roberts used to pronounce his name like "Toump ASS" and I really loved that too, easily amused I guess, I even named my bigfooty user name after him :D

Jack Watts also because we have so much in common. Also he's an ex LEGEND of the Melbourne Football Club, I guess to me he'll always be a Melbourne Demon but yeah I still love you Jack!

Favourite ‘fun to watch’ all-time opposition player: Patrick McCartin, because he is also an absolute spud but Saint Kilda picked him instead of Christian Petracca and I knew it would backfire in their face, and it did, and every time I saw Paddy McCartin do something stupid, I'd think to myself: "Thank you Saint Kilda, I love you Saint Kilda, thank you for the gift of Christian Petracca" and then I'd turn around to my old man whose barracks for Saint Kildas and say: "Suck s**t Dad, that guy's a fn potato and your club picked him and he sucks so much, look at him, what a campaigner" and Dad wouldn't say anything, there's not really much to argue there, he'd just have to sit there drinking his Pinot Whatever while his son is being a massive prick to him because Paddy McCartin sucks. I miss not being at the footy with my Dad and hanging s**t on Patrick McCartin , that was the most fun I ever had in my life.

Favourite current opposition player: Paddy Dow, because he's an absolute spud and Carlton though they could send him to Melbourne Demons with a packet of chips and get a Clayton Oliver in return, and I just really really enjoy making fun of him when he fu**s something up, and that's pretty much every time he plays so it's usually a good day in the Toump Ass house when Paddy Dow gets a game. Love his name too, 100% best name in AFL, rolls off the tongue. Love it!

Favourite all-time opposition player: Aaron Hamill (not Mark Hamill, is that real?). He always "left it all out on the field" and being a supporter of the flakiest team in existence I always admired that. Just a good honest but fair hard nut, I really loved watching him play.

Other than that, my namesake <3, he's the softest player I've ever seen in my life and I loved hating on him whenever he did shirked a contest which was obviously every contest he was ever in and also Sandy Roberts used to pronounce his name like "Toump ASS" and I really loved that too, easily amused I guess, I even named my bigfooty user name after him :D

Jack Watts also because we have so much in common. Also he's an ex LEGEND of the Melbourne Football Club, I guess to me he'll always be a Melbourne Demon but yeah I still love you Jack!

Favourite ‘fun to watch’ all-time opposition player: Patrick McCartin, because he is also an absolute spud but Saint Kilda picked him instead of Christian Petracca and I knew it would backfire in their face, and it did, and every time I saw Paddy McCartin do something stupid, I'd think to myself: "Thank you Saint Kilda, I love you Saint Kilda, thank you for the gift of Christian Petracca" and then I'd turn around to my old man whose barracks for Saint Kildas and say: "Suck sh*t Dad, that guy's a fn potato and your club picked him and he sucks so much, look at him, what a campaigner" and Dad wouldn't say anything, there's not really much to argue there, he'd just have to sit there drinking his Pinot Whatever while his son is being a massive prick to him because Paddy McCartin sucks. I miss not being at the footy with my Dad and hanging sh*t on Patrick McCartin , that was the most fun I ever had in my life.

I got confused with Aaron Hamill and Luke Skywalker

Favourite current opposition player: Clayton Oliver. Superstar player who stands up and wins games. Not super fast, athletic or good looking, just old school footballer who is amzing at football.

Favourite all-time opposition player: Wayne Carey. The best I've seen, and played poorly in the 98 GF too!

Favourite ‘fun to watch’ all-time opposition player:
Warrick Capper. Need I say more?

Favourite all-time opposition player that you like but aren’t really sure why because they aren’t quite a superstar, or are even really ordinary but you like them anyway: Todd Viney. Might have been the headband.

Opposition current player that scares you the most when they play your team: Robbie Gray. Just check his record v Crows.

Opposition all-time player that scares you the most:
Tony Lockett. Do I need to explain?

Favourite opposition player that you have never seen play, even on the telly: Ellijah Hollands. Would love the crows to make a play for him.

Favourite current opposition player: Probably Toby Greene. Combination of mongrel, talent, skill.

Favourite all-time opposition player: Richo would be up there. People forget he kicked 800 goals, and he didn't play forward his entire career.

Favourite ‘fun to watch’ all-time opposition player: Cyril.

Opposition current player that scares you the most when they play your team: He's less threatening these days, but Franklin. THIRTEEN!

Opposition all-time player that scares you the most: Ablett Snr. He had days out against us. And 94 still hurts. His son was usually unstoppable against us as well.

Favourite opposition player that you have never seen play, even on the telly: Neil Kerley

Favourite current opposition player: Love me a little Josh Kelly but it's maybe just left foot bias, Bont is awesome and love watching them. Toby Greene aswell such a mix of everything.

Favourite all-time opposition player: Chris Judd or Simon Black.

Favourite ‘fun to watch’ all-time opposition player: Eddie Betts

Favourite all-time opposition player that you like but aren’t really sure why because they aren’t quite a superstar, or are even really ordinary but you like them anyway: David Swallow.

Opposition current player that scares you the most when they play your team: It was Dusty, i'd say Petracca is up there but also feel Macrae aswell just the fact he can do it week in week out without having a bad game.

Opposition all-time player that scares you the most: Ablett Jr and Sr.

Favourite opposition player that you have never seen play, even on the telly:
Malcom Blight.

Favourite current opposition player: Clayton Oliver

Favourite all-time opposition player: Tony Lockett/Wayne Schimmelbusch

Favourite ‘fun to watch’ all-time opposition player: Gary Ablett sr./Malcolm Blight

Favourite all-time opposition player that you like but aren’t really sure why because they aren’t quite a superstar, or are even really ordinary but you like them anyway: Tim Notting

Opposition current player that scares you the most when they play your team: Sam Walsh

Opposition all-time player that scares you the most: Bruce Doull,Jason Dunstall

Favourite opposition player that you have never seen play, even on telly: Chicken Smallhorn

Lik

Favourite current opposition player: Jack Crisp

Favourite all-time opposition player: Lance Franklin

Favourite ‘fun to watch’ all-time opposition player: Liam Flying Ryan

Favourite all-time opposition player that you like but aren’t really sure why because they aren’t quite a superstar, or are even really ordinary but you like them anyway: David Mundy

Opposition current player that scares you the most when they play your team: Josh J Kennedy

Opposition all-time player that scares you the most: Josh J Kennedy

Favourite opposition player that you have never seen play, even on the telly: KB

Favourite current opposition player: Clayton Oliver

Favourite all-time opposition player: Tony Lockett/Wayne Schimmelbusch

Favourite ‘fun to watch’ all-time opposition player: Gary Ablett sr./Malcolm Blight

Favourite all-time opposition player that you like but aren’t really sure why because they aren’t quite a superstar, or are even really ordinary but you like them anyway: Tim Notting

Opposition current player that scares you the most when they play your team: Sam Walsh

Opposition all-time player that scares you the most: Bruce Doull,Jason Dunstall

Favourite opposition player that you have never seen play, even on telly: Chicken Smallhorn

Lik

Kudos for Tim Notting and especially Chicken!

Favourite current opposition player: Touk Miller

Favourite all-time opposition player: Lance Franklin (when at Hawks), Robbie Flower

Favourite ‘fun to watch’ all-time opposition player: G Ablett snr, Blight

Favourite all-time opposition player that you like but aren’t really sure why because they aren’t quite a superstar, or are even really ordinary but you like them anyway: Craig Lambert

Opposition current player that scares you the most when they play your team: Toby Greene

Opposition all-time player that scares you the most: Polly Farmer

Favourite opposition player that you have never seen play, even on the telly: John Coleman

Favourite current opposition player: Not sure, possibly Marcus Bontempelli.

Favourite all-time opposition player: James Hird, I loved the way he seemed to glide through traffic.

Favourite ‘fun to watch’ all-time opposition player: Gary Ablett (Snr), an absolute freak.

Favourite all-time opposition player that you like but aren’t really sure why because they aren’t quite a superstar, or are even really ordinary but you like them anyway: Todd Curley.

Opposition current player that scares you the most when they play your team: Buddy Franklin

Opposition all-time player that scares you the most: Wayne Carey, he could almost win a game single handed.

Favourite opposition player that you have never seen play, even on the telly: Albert Thurgood

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got confused with Aaron Hamill and Luke Skywalker
Understandable. Both mythical figures who battled valiantly for small undermanned teams, and both really like fresh milk. i made the last bit up obviously, really just wanted to post a picture of luke sky walker getting some nice fresh dairy. See below:

iu

Favourite all-time opposition player: Lance Franklin (when at Hawks), Robbie Flower

Favourite all-time opposition player that you like but aren’t really sure why because they aren’t quite a superstar, or are even really ordinary but you like them anyway: Craig Lambert

Opposition current player that scares you the most when they play your team: Toby Greene

Favourite opposition player that you have never seen play, even on the telly: John Coleman
:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: Lambert along with Micheal Pickering were the only shining lights in those dark and forgettable days

Favourite current opposition player: Jack Crisp

Favourite all-time opposition player: Lance Franklin

Favourite ‘fun to watch’ all-time opposition player: Liam Flying Ryan

Favourite all-time opposition player that you like but aren’t really sure why because they aren’t quite a superstar, or are even really ordinary but you like them anyway: David Mundy

Opposition current player that scares you the most when they play your team: Josh J Kennedy

Opposition all-time player that scares you the most: Josh J Kennedy

Favourite opposition player that you have never seen play, even on the telly: KB
Good call with Mundy. Possibly the most likeable player in the comp now. Just goes about his business, gets the job done, plays good consistent footy at a high level over 350 games, not an arsehole, never dirty. The perfect team mate.

Favourite current opposition player: Blake Acres - coz he plays for freo so will never luke ball us.

Favourite all-time opposition player: Tony Lockett - Swans were blessed. GOAT!

Favourite ‘fun to watch’ all-time opposition player: Bruce - still trying his heart out, for little effect. but once in a blue moon he kicks a few.

Favourite all-time opposition player that you like but aren’t really sure why because they aren’t quite a superstar, or are even really ordinary but you like them anyway: Cain Ackland - coz i knew him when he was just a lad. did well to actually play at a few clubs.

Opposition current player that scares you the most when they play your team: Paddy McCartin - hope he doesn't fall on his head too much.

Opposition all-time player that scares you the most: Tony Lockett. did i mention he's the GOAT!

Favourite opposition player that you have never seen play, even on the telly: Roy Cazaly. Champion. only played for clubs with integrity.

Favourite current opposition player: Max Gawn-cos he is maximum gawn, no sugar

Favourite all-time opposition player: Jim Stynes- one of the best off field characters Australian rules footy ever has ever seen, I met him once, he was as insightful, humble and giving of his time as his reputation would suggest.

Favourite 'fun to watch' all-time opposition player: Ablett Snr.- what more can you say?

Favourite all-time opposition player that you like but aren’t really sure why because they aren’t quite a superstar, or are even really ordinary but you like them anyway: David Bain- little rover for the Bears, one of those players that just had a very watchable 'vibe' about them, unfortunately has the same name as a notorious serial killer

Opposition current player that scares you the most when they play your team: Buddy Franklin- been using North games as target practice sessions for over a decade and counting

Opposition all-time player that scares you the most: Plugger- He could decimate your teams percentage and spiflicate your most important defenders...usually all before half time. The guy was brown trouser scary

Doug Nicholls- his significance in breaking racial barriers has been well documented, be he was said to be a pretty spectacular footballer too, and also having a soft spot for Fitzroy's often ignored history, I'd love to travel back in time to watch a game of his

VFA version 1896 - 1996

Favourite all-time opposition player: Joe Radojevic

Favourite ‘fun to watch’ all-time opposition player: Fred Cook,Jamie Shaw

Favourite all-time opposition player that you like but aren’t really sure why because they aren’t quite a superstar, or are even really ordinary but you like them anyway: Terry Dohnt,Barry Nolan,Wayne Muschialli

Opposition current player that scares you the most when they play your team: Terry Wilkins,Eddy Melai,Alf Beus

Opposition all-time player that scares you the most: Buster Harland,Harold Martin

Favourite opposition player that you have never seen play, even on the telly: Ron Todd,Bob Pratt

Like Like Quote Reply

Lambert was a fair player back in the day, best and fairest at both tigers and bears and all Australian too. We used to call him Freddy after Freddy Kruger.

Favourite current opposition player: Paddy Dow, because he's an absolute spud and Carlton though they could send him to Melbourne Demons with a packet of chips and get a Clayton Oliver in return, and I just really really enjoy making fun of him when he fu**s something up, and that's pretty much every time he plays so it's usually a good day in the Toump Ass house when Paddy Dow gets a game. Love his name too, 100% best name in AFL, rolls off the tongue. Love it!

Favourite ‘fun to watch’ all-time opposition player: Patrick McCartin, because he is also an absolute spud but Saint Kilda picked him instead of Christian Petracca and I knew it would backfire in their face, and it did, and every time I saw Paddy McCartin do something stupid, I'd think to myself: "Thank you Saint Kilda, I love you Saint Kilda, thank you for the gift of Christian Petracca" and then I'd turn around to my old man whose barracks for Saint Kildas and say: "Suck sh*t Dad, that guy's a fn potato and your club picked him and he sucks so much, look at him, what a campaigner" and Dad wouldn't say anything, there's not really much to argue there, he'd just have to sit there drinking his Pinot Whatever while his son is being a massive prick to him because Paddy McCartin sucks. I miss not being at the footy with my Dad and hanging sh*t on Patrick McCartin , that was the most fun I ever had in my life.
i think its safe to say your not too enamoured with the anyone named PADDY :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: wots your opinion on former ex-saint come blue Dean Rice ?

Favourite current opposition player: The Bont or Oliver

Favourite all-time opposition player: Ablett Snr or the Pav

Favourite ‘fun to watch’ all-time opposition player: Alan Jackovich ( freak) , Ablett Snr (Freak) , Clive Waterhouse ( hero or zero ) , Cyril (freak)

Favourite all-time opposition player that you like but aren’t really sure why because they aren’t quite a superstar, or are even really ordinary but you like them anyway: David Mundy and Leo Barry

Opposition current player that scares you the most when they play your team:
Franklin and the Bont

Opposition all-time player that scares you the most: Voss and Hodge

John Coleman

Favourite current opposition player: Oliver

Favourite all-time opposition player: Hodge

Favourite ‘fun to watch’ all-time opposition player: Carey

Favourite all-time opposition player that you like but aren’t really sure why because they aren’t quite a superstar, or are even really ordinary but you like them anyway: Ryan Crowley - dud but I like taggers who can really disrupt the best players game mentally and physically.

Opposition current player that scares you the most when they play your team:
Toby Greene

Opposition all-time player that scares you the most: Michael O'Loughlin

Favourite current opposition player: Toby Greene, Max Gawn

Favourite all-time opposition player: Dean Cox, hard to pick just one but I loved watching this man play

Favourite ‘fun to watch’ all-time opposition player: Aker, Nic Nat & Gary Ablett Jnr

Favourite all-time opposition player that you like but aren’t really sure why because they aren’t quite a superstar, or are even really ordinary but you like them anyway: Beau Waters, amazing courage, genuinely gave all he could.

Opposition current player that scares you the most when they play your team: Franklin

Opposition all-time player that scares you the most: Betts & Cyril always liked playing us

Favourite opposition player that you have never seen play, even on the telly: Heard a bit about Bob Skilton from my uncle, reckons he went alright.

Seems I like ruckmen haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back