Favourite players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Men:

Stefan Edberg was my first tennis idol. The beautiful harbour bridge backhand, the perfect volleys, the calm Swedish demeanour. He was just a beautiful player to watch and really contrasted sharply in demeanour and manner to Becker who was a bit of a more explosive version of him as a player

Goran - I loved that his game was so limited yet his serve was THAT good that he would just keep serving ace after ace after ace to pressure his way through matches. I loved his split personalities

Agassi - what was not to like. I was explaining to my girl last night how the two best returners I’ve seen were Nadal - who stands miles behind the baseline - and Agassi, who stood miles inside it. He was so good to watch. What a shotmaker.

Scud - hearing him serve was like hearing a boxer have the wind punched out of him by Mike Tyson. The poor tennis ball

Rafa - I love that at a time when everyone said ‘this guy is unbeatable and will redefine every record in tennis’ a quiet clay courter from Spain not only competed with him but surpassed him. Class, humility, and the highest level of willpower I’ve nearly ever seen in sport

Women:

Anna Kournikova

Rafa - Class, humility, and the highest level of willpower I’ve nearly ever seen in sport
Yep, such a wonderful combination of personal attributes and the heart of a lion.

I don't see the point of GOAT discussions, as the contenders are individuals who shine for different reasons and it's a matter of personal preference as to what the viewer rates most highly.

Love Rafa for the reasons above and love Fed, for his elegance, poetry in motion and insane skills in making the ball do his will.

Also admired Marat Safin as he looked like a male model, but could play a mean tennis game and had a great sense of humour. (See what I mean about being a personal thing as to what we value most highly in the players :D This is my female perspective ;)).

Women - the female Fed Martina Hingis.

My absolute favs of all time. no aussies.

Old men.

1. Safin. Just loved the personality. And the fact he could just turn it on and had a sense of humour.
2. juan martin del potro . The sheer will of power to keep trying. And the power of his shots.....That Olympic run in 2016 in front of his fans...
3. Stan Wawrinka.
Won me a lot of money once. but love the backhand shot and the way he could play when he was fit an firing.

Current.
Medvedev. Again, love the personality. Some of the stuff he gets back is unreal.
Thiem: I have a thing for 1 handed backhands. i promise to see someone about it soon.

Women
1. Aga Radwanska. love the style, the touch, the smallness and her sheer fight in the era of the big hitters.
2. Henin. The personality wasn't great(retiring in the Aus Open final) but that backhand was something. Love her for that one shot.

Current
Anna Karolina Schmiedlova. Known as Schmieds on this forum. All the drama, inability to close out games, inability to play consistently, the awesome speed and backhand and the terrible serving. Drama and all for it.
Cornet: so very french. Says what she means and gives it her all.
Kiki Mladenovic: cause she is drama in 12 languages.
Mertens: soft spot for the former Hobart champ x2. broke through down here.

Not Sam Groth.

I think I posted in some tennis thread on here a while back that I didn't like him as a commentator mainly cos of some of the entitled things he'd said on social media over the past few years.

I said he was destined to become a liberal politician.

And then I just saw on twitter: "Tennis pro turned commentator Sam Groth faces fight for Liberal candidacy for key seat of Nepean."

Medvedev, Tsitsipas, Agassi, Andy Murray, Ferrer, Wawrinka, and a shout out to the Bryan brothers in the doubles.
Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters, Osaka, Ash Barty [obviously], Martina Hingis, Serena particularly on hardcourts, Venus particularly on grasscourts.

Most of all though, the 'big three' of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. Djokovic being my absolute favourite of the bunch to watch.

Last edited:
Tennis is such a tough sport in many respects because the margins for error are so small and the pressure on each shot so high coupled with the physical aspect of it. Mentally trying to combat what the other person is doing would be so hard as well

I've got many favourites as I genuinely have liked most of the top players over the years. Never understood the fanboyism of tennis fans.

My all time favourite though has to be Wawrinka. Absolutely nobody had a better looking and more powerful 1 handed backhand than him. His aggressive play was so enjoyable to watch.

His epic performances against Novak at the AO were some of the best matches to watch. The one where he pushed Novak all the way in 2013 signalled his rise to being capable of beating the big dogs. Then the 2014 AO came around and that glorious run to the title was such a thrill for me to watch.

He proved he belonged capturing 3 GS in the most difficult era of tennis there has ever been. Love you Stan the Man :)

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Good shout earlier for Richard Krajicek - I had a soft spot for the two ‘poor man’s Pete Sampras’ in Michael Stich and Krajicek.

Krajicek also delivered one of the great comments in the media from a sportsman where he said once that 80 per cent of female players were fat pigs and didn’t deserve equal pay.

He clarified his comments thus…..
‘I’m sorry. What I meant to say was that only 75 per cent are fat pigs.’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got many favourites as I genuinely have liked most of the top players over the years. Never understood the fanboyism of tennis fans.

My all time favourite though has to be Wawrinka. Absolutely nobody had a better looking and more powerful 1 handed backhand than him. His aggressive play was so enjoyable to watch.

His epic performances against Novak at the AO were some of the best matches to watch. The one where he pushed Novak all the way in 2013 signalled his rise to being capable of beating the big dogs. Then the 2014 AO came around and that glorious run to the title was such a thrill for me to watch.

He proved he belonged capturing 3 GS in the most difficult era of tennis there has ever been. Love you Stan the Man :)

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

There's only one Stan the Man mate.. this man needs no introduction mate.. Stan 'The Man' Longinidis mate.. respect mate.. that's it mate.. forget about it mate.

Last edited:
Who are your favourite players (past or present)?

Men: Safin, Tsonga, Djokovic, Agassi, Wawrinka, Nalbandian, Medvedev, Baghdatis :p

Women: Barty, Graf, Henin, Seles, Pliskova, Radwanska
Always been a Federer fan, made me fall in love with the sport. Just his natural skill that i don't think any player ever has or will come close to. His pure ability and dominance.

Barty because Barty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back