Mong

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Crows
Well, if you believe The Advertiser there are four candiates for the position with Wallace out of the running.

Eade

Case for:
The only senior AFL experienced candidate. Is regarded as a great tactician. Had some level of success at Sydney making the finals 4/6 years and one grand Final. Has had two years in the media and should come back a better coach (Matthews and Blight had success this way).

Case against:
Under his guidance the Swans seemed to be in steady decline. His replacement coach significantly improved the team.

Craig

Case for:
Has been an assistant with the Crows for several years and knows the players and the club well. Has extensive coaching and sports science experience including other sports. Has shown in his limited time that he is willing and capable to promote and develop youngsters - the results produced by players like Reilly, Rutten and even Skipworth so far are encouraging. Has had experience with two vastly different styles, Blight and Ayres.

Case against:
Was part of the failed Ayres regime. Has very little senior AFL coaching experience. Does not have a particularly good SANFL coaching record. Has had no involvement with another AFL club and therefore hasn't seen how other clubs operate first hand.

O'Donnell

Case for:
Has been involved in the Brisbane Lions three premierships as an assistant. Played his career under Kevin Sheedy and had success as a player. Knows what it takes to win premierships. Is new to the Crows so he can immediately walk in and spot strengths and weaknesses and differences to other clubs.

Case against:
Has no senior AFL coaching experience. (I don't think he has any senior coaching experience at a lower level either but not sure). Hasn't really experienced the pressures on coaches that come with losing.

Harvey

Case for:Has been involved for many years with one of the great coaches (who is also a great recruiter/trader), Kevin Sheedy. Has won premierships as a player. Knows what it takes to win premierships. Is new to the Crows so he can immediately walk in and spot strengths and weaknesses and differences to his former club.

Case against:
Has no senior AFL coaching experience. (I don't think he has any senior coaching experience at a lower level either but not sure). Has only ever played and been an assistant under the one coach - doesn't have a variety of coaching influences.

Please feel free to add or dispute any of these.

In my mind Eade is probably the favourite. I am nowhere near as keen on him as I was on Wallace. So much so that I don't have an opinion on whether he would be a good choice or not. I am really not sure. He'd be the safe choice.

I am keen on O'Donnell. I like the idea of bringing in someone new from outside to bring some new ideas and change the mix. He is a risk being inexperienced but the potential upside is there.

Harvey is similar to O'Donnell but I think he has slightly less going for him.

As for Craig, well while I think he should be far from a certainty and I am not convinced I would like to make it clear I am not totally against him. I don't think he's the best choice but I don't think he will be a dud. He had his upside. If he gets signed I think at worst we will have someone who will look to rebuild, and will do it with young players. Young players have already responded well to his coaching and even if we have a couple of mediocre years under Craig I think he will rebuild us well and put us in a good position to challenge for a flag in three to four years time. A bit like Robert Shaw. And that's a worst case scenario.

In closing I'd like to see us take a risk and go for O'Donnell. But that of course is withouth the insight that the Crows board will get through their interviews and discussions. We can only judge as outsiders and we have to realise what we know about these ccandidates is a lot less than the selection committee will know.

Originally posted by ****
.I am keen on O'Donnell. I like the idea of bringing in someone new from outside to bring some new ideas and change the mix. He is a risk being inexperienced but the potential upside is there.

Agreed; we have missed out on Wallace so look for the next best alternative.

Sometimes we have gotta take a punt on inexperience. I can hear the cry now "what about Craig?" but as you stated in your post he has been there for ever as assistant in an environment that is nowhere near as successful at Brisbane.

And let's not forget he played under Sheedy.

Two great footy minds and he (O"Donnell) must have soaked in a lot of information from the both of them.

Excellent post ****.
:)

[snip]

thats a pretty balanced review of the remaining candidates! well done ****...

im neither here nor there on the coach, as i think whoever is appointed will basically be doing the same thing, just in their own way! The AFC will pick the BEST person wh fits the requirements that need to be met. ie rebuild the list, trade aggressively (but smartly), have an eye for young talent, and implement a gameplan that isnt one dimensional!

the stand out now would be Eade, and listening to him talk, he doesn't seem full of himself, and he understands the process that the AFC are going through! whether he fits what we need/want, well i guess time well tell...

of the rest, i would pick Craig before O'Donnell or Harvey, for the simple fact that he appears to have a great relationship with most of the players...all three are untried, and i believe Craig has a distinct advantage over the other two because he has worked in the environment for a number of years, and is well respected within the club!

My choice would be Eade, then Craig!

good post **** - cant say i really disagree with you, i'd say i would be more keen to see o'donnell than eade only becasue i think eade is a bit too gary ayres (not that there is anything wrong with that),
as for craig i think people are being very australian at the moment and that is cut down the front runner and find an underdog to support having a look at his credentials i think they wiegh up fairly well against O'donnel and harvey

my pref

Odonnell
Craig
Eade
Harvey

Harvey won't leave Victoria.

In closing I'd like to see us take a risk and go for O'Donnell. But that of course is withouth the insight that the Crows board will get through their interviews and discussions. We can only judge as outsiders and we have to realise what we know about these ccandidates is a lot less than the selection committee will know.

I agree, O'Donnell comes across as a likely character. Will bring fresh ideas to the footy club, plus a habit of success. Remember folks.....

Who was the last AFL/VFL premiership winning coach not to have played in a winning AFL/VFL grand final team? Err...

I'm not big fans of Eade or Harvey, but would go for them anyday in preference to Craig.

Unfortunately, the SANFL hack WILL get the job. The AFC have yet to convince me that they've made an earnest effort to get the best man available. Not even the involvement of Wayne Jackson will change my mind. Only the non-appointment of Craig will!

The only thing that may (and I mean may) SPARE US from the cycle-guru is a loss to the completely rudderless Richmond in round 20. This would be an even more unacceptable loss than the one against Carlton that - let's face it - ultimately cost Gary Ayres his job. I don't think the board would react kindly on a loss of this nature.

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
IMO we need fresh ideas in the coaching box, so for me that rules out Craig. Harvey doesn't excite me so my preference is for Eade (on experience) over O'Donnell.

Would have to agree 100% Kane, over the 5 games has any thing “on-field changed” IMO not really, same old skill errors and bad decisions are still being made.

My preferred coach (now Wallace is out the picture) would have to be Mark Harvey or Gary O’Donnell; Rodney Eade lost the swans with his negativity and defensive tactics. O’Donnell and Harvey would bring a fresh new approach with enthusiasm to coaching, not implying Eade wont but he will do what he know works and that is defensive football with flooding. So that’s why l would like to see the inexperienced coach get it, fresh ideas and they will be coming from 2 very strong clubs who have excellent coaches (including Sheedy)

Originally posted by DaveW
At the moment I'm thinking O'Donnell is the best of a bad lot.

I think you have hit the nail on the head Dave. We would lose credibility if we picked Eade considering he has snubbed us in the past and listening to Harvey speak reminds me of the Shaw nightmare...

O'Donnell,
Craig,
Harvey,
Eade

pretty ordinary choices really....

Quality post **** and very well balanced on at that.

I really don't have a preference either way but we need to remember where we are at as a footy club in terms of premiership clock and what we need to do to get to be a force again. Someone like Eade doesn't really excite me as I don't think he is the right person for the job in the state that we are in.

I would probably be tossing up between Craig and O'Donnell and Craig would probably just get the nod because he has shown in 5 or so weeks that he is capable of getting the youngsters up and running.

Time will tell but who ever is the coach I am sure we will support him next year.

Re: Re: Final Four

Originally posted by Tyson20

the stand out now would be Eade, and listening to him talk, he doesn't seem full of himself, and he understands the process that the AFC are going through! whether he fits what we need/want, well i guess time well tell...

of the rest, i would pick Craig before O'Donnell or Harvey, for the simple fact that he appears to have a great relationship with most of the players...all three are untried, and i believe Craig has a distinct advantage over the other two because he has worked in the environment for a number of years, and is well respected within the club!

My choice would be Eade, then Craig!

Well strike me pink, to quote KG !! ;)

I actually agree with everything you're saying. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It has come to the stage where i am not enthused about any of the available candidates and i really cant be bothered getting into any debate.
The way i see it, with any of these 4 at the helm, we will have a couple of mediocre years and then he will be sacked ala Shaw and i just pray to god another blighty comes along. Please please please please....

Good post, ****. The sort of thing that Advertiser guy (who we're not supposed to talk about!) should be writing.

Everyone so far on this thread has made some good points so I'm totally confused! OK - Eade (experience and I think the right cultural fit) or O'Donnell (comes from culture of success and has learned from two of the best).

Harvey - No, too Shaw-like, I agree.

Craig - third choice after Eade and O'Donnell. If he's line ball with O'Donnell, then go for the fresh blood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back