First 22 in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

With all of Zorkos injuries of recent years, I would be more inclined to Think, he is more done than Rich.
Barring injury, Rich will be best 22 this year and I agree there is a squeeze on for spots in the half back type role for sure.
Been stated previously by other posters, but I think it is time for a new captain with Zorks age and injuries. Obviously Andrews has to be considered but I would like to see Neal, if he sought it.

I don't see Zorks or Rich playing every game this season. A Geelong type approach for these two older warriors, we will need to firing come finals and the GF.

With all of Zorkos injuries of recent years, I would be more inclined to Think, he is more done than Rich.
Barring injury, Rich will be best 22 this year and I agree there is a squeeze on for spots in the half back type role for sure.
I think the team I put together has pace and skill on all lines. Rich doesn’t have anything he can provide. Cooked unfortunately. No pace, can’t defend, kicking is average these days. He’s Witherden level now.

rich was one of our best players in the semi-final against melbourne. he got shown up against geelong but you could say that for most of the team. i dont see why he cant be an asset to the team, especially if improved team defence helps to shore up some of his deficiencies on opposition rebound

Irrelevant. 2021 was 2 years ago. That’s like saying the same teams will be good for years on end. Lol.
The 2021 all Australian team was named in August 2021
Thats only 1 year as we have not started 2023 yet.
But agree you can't rest on past form although 2022 stats wise was still a good year for Rich at HB.
Rich played 22 games with 79.4% TOG. His TOG was down 3.9% on the previous 3 years. So, in theory that should result in less disposals etc.

Danial Rich basic stats for year 2022
Average 23.1 disposals (2nd best career high)
Average 558 meters gained (2nd best career high)
Effective disposals 19.2 (2nd best career high)
Disposal efficiency 83.3% (career high)

Stats that were around his career average

Marks - 4.5 (career average 3.8)
Tackles - 1.6 (2.9)
Rebound 50's - 6.3 (3.7) (3rd best career high)
Inside 50's - 3.3 (3.3)
Goals - 0.1 (0.4)
Goal assists 0.3 (0.3)
Clearances - 0.9 (2.0)
Contested marks - 0.2 (0.2)
1 Percenters - 2.2 (1.8)

I think it is what Rich did last year without the footy that would have been more of a concern than his attacking output. It's hard to know from the outside but he looked like he struggled to cover the ground, was a bit slow off the mark and lost some contests that he'd have once won.

Having said all of that, I'm willing to back him in at this stage. One (slightly?) lesser year is not necessarily the start of a terminal decline of his career. We'll probably know more by about round 6, I reckon.

I think it is what Rich did last year without the footy that would have been more of a concern than his attacking output. It's hard to know from the outside but he looked like he struggled to cover the ground, was a bit slow off the mark and lost some contests that he'd have once won.

Having said all of that, I'm willing to back him in at this stage. One (slightly?) lesser year is not necessarily the start of a terminal decline of his career. We'll probably know more by about round 6, I reckon.
When a player of his age comes to the start of a full season with half a pre-season done (like Richy did last season) , it doesn't matter how good you are or if you still have an A+ footy head on you, you will struggle. This season he has had no interruptions and will come in at Round 1 in the best physical condition possible. Often people are quick to bag players out of form without taking into account their physical condition. (same as JL) To quote another poster last week, Blind Freddy could have seen that Richy's condition was a long way being good yet he was selected every week. This season he has no excuses and I am confident he will be very important for us. He is a champion of the club and we all know what often happens when you write off Champions too early.

Jon Ralph named our best 22 in the Herald Sun (attached). Always of some interest when a footy scribe puts up a team so thought I would post.

FROM THIS TEAM

Pretty obvious Payne in for Joyce assuming Payne fit.

Also would be staggered if Coleman is sub, so putting him in for Answerth.

Other possible ins Dev, Wilmot, Prior.

Possible outs Ah Chee and McKenna.

I am seeing a lot of people talk about Tunstill from pre-season scrimmages. I had him pegged as an inside mid, but he has been playing wing apparently. Does he have a good tank? Any pace? Would people have Tunstill ahead of Sharp?

With Ashcroft just about a lock it will be interesting to see how many young / inexperienced players we go with. A premiership side usually doesn't have too many. Others in contention seem to be Tunstill, Sharp and Wilmot in terms of players with fewer than 10 games. There's no exact formula but probably playing all of them is one too many? I would think only one of Sharp or Tunstill will make the side anyway, if any.

Overall our experience levels are getting pretty impressive, regulars or near regulars with fewer than 50 games include Coleman on 41, Payne who is 23yo so no baby, Prior on 30, Robertson on 25, Ashcroft on 0. Capture.PNG

Jon Ralph named our best 22 in the Herald Sun (attached). Always of some interest when a footy scribe puts up a team so thought I would post.

FROM THIS TEAM

I am seeing a lot of people talk about Tunstill from pre-season scrimmages. I had him pegged as an inside mid, but he has been playing wing apparently. Does he have a good tank? Any pace? Would people have Tunstill ahead of Sharp?

With Ashcroft just about a lock it will be interesting to see how many young / inexperienced players we go with. A premiership side usually doesn't have too many. Others in contention seem to be Tunstill, Sharp and Wilmot in terms of players with fewer than 10 games. There's no exact formula but probably playing all of them is one too many? I would think only one of Sharp or Tunstill will make the side anyway, if any.

Overall our experience levels are getting pretty impressive, regulars or near regulars with fewer than 50 games include Coleman on 41, Payne who is 23yo so no baby, Prior on 30, Robertson on 25, Ashcroft on 0. View attachment 1607596

That's such a funny, outrageously bad best 22. Coleman as the sub is all you need to see.

Lester would be ahead of Joyce as the backup to Payne as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

John Ralph had a go at best 23 and it is not as bad as lots are saying.
In my opinion Joyce won't play if Payne is fit, and Coleman should be on the field. Thats the 2 main errors. Could get worse from a jurno.
Every other player he named is a chance to be named come round 1 thanks to our depth.
Some players positions would change to how he has named the team.

I have 20 of his 23, However i have nobody as a TS as i don't care at this point who is chosen.
Also, i have one wing/midfield position on hold hence the fun poll i ran on the last midfielder. (Dev 14, Lyons 4. Tunstill 2. Ah Chee 1,)
Then i have one half back position up for grabs. Presently the placeholder is Wilmot over McKenna & co.

Ah Chee is a chance to get either the half back position or wing position.
The half back position could go to any of McKenna, Ah Chee, Answerth, Wilmot then a gap to Madden & Cockatoo

So, from Raph's team you could make 1 player change, then switch the TS and it is close to the round 1 side player wise.

Out Joyce in Payne
Switch TS: Coleman to replace either Answerth or McKenna as TS.

I think we will be top 4 or thereabouts pending injury.

The only serious question mark I have on us is our ability to defend. I know team defence is huge but if our back 6 stands up this year I think we win it.

I think we will be top 4 or thereabouts pending injury.

The only serious question mark I have on us is our ability to defend. I know team defence is huge but if our back 6 stands up this year I think we win it.

I think it's whether our midfield can stand up and not roll over like they did against Geelong last year

I think it's whether our midfield can stand up and not roll over like they did against Geelong last year
In their defence just a little.
They had just come off 2 pretty hard physical and mental wins and were probably spent by the time they got to that game.
If only they won that Covid affected game against Essendon, it may have been a different final series possibly.
But anyway, we look a better team on paper this year but making top 4 and even top 2 is all important for a successful run in the finals.

From watching other sports (nba and epl) typically key players are “rested”; if they are carrying a small injury that can be managed with a short break and the schedule is deemed to be soft, or the team is approaching finals and the sports science team want to freshen up a couple of key veterans.

Of course such rests are fluid, and dependant on injuries within the squad and to key players.
Both sports play a huge number of games compared to AFL.

Our midfield stats lie because we had the highest number of stoppages in the comp. In raw stats we were high enough for contested ball, clearances etc - but in actual games we'd lose a lot and our losses were really bad as they were totally unpressured clearances leading to high quality shots for the opposition.

In their defence just a little.
They had just come off 2 pretty hard physical and mental wins and were probably spent by the time they got to that game.
If only they won that Covid affected game against Essendon, it may have been a different final series possibly.
But anyway, we look a better team on paper this year but making top 4 and even top 2 is all important for a successful run in the finals.
agree with Top 2. Home games in finals are a huge advantage.

FROM THIS TEAM

Overall our experience levels are getting pretty impressive, regulars or near regulars with fewer than 50 games include Coleman on 41, Payne who is 23yo so no baby, Prior on 30, Robertson on 25, Ashcroft on 0. View attachment 1607596

This just confirms the Melbourne media have NFI about our club.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This just confirms the Melbourne media have NFI about our club.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
As i mentioned above it is still a good team if you replace one player and swap the TS and some positions.
He is only a journalist and most likely read somewhere that Payne missed a couple of sims and Joyce was in the "A" team.
No Lyons or Dev, he has Ah Chee instead.

How does this look with 1 player Payne added to Ralphs team and take out Joyce.
The TS: Coleman and Answerth swap

FB: Starcevich - Payne -Gardiner
HB: Coleman - Andrews - Rich

C: Berry - Dunkley - Ah Chee
Foll: McInerney - Neale - McCluggage

HF: Bailey - Hipwood - McCarthy
FF: Gunston - Daniher - Cameron

I/C: Rayner (F/M) - Zorko (F/W/M) - Ashcroft (M/W) - McKenna (D)

TS: Answerth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back